Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The summer of cricket thread 2014  (Read 66786 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, July 21, 2014, 20:22:57 »

I really, really like Cook but he isn't up to the job.  Dull captaincy instincts and really too decent a man.  His talk of "hoping" his batting and "hoping" the team performances will turn round is just too diffident in a leader.

You can pick batter A or bowler B but for me it is time for responsibility to be taken at the top and not passed down.

Cook is being exposed layer by layer as the weak link whilst the men who picked him stand in the shadows watching his friendless discomfort.   Isn't it time the men who chose to build the new England around him stepped forward and took some of the heat?  Step forward Paul Downton and Andy Flower's annointed successor Peter Moores who is about to suffer another truncated captaincy under his watch as he looks for his second chance to turn round his unsuccessful international record.

The series is hardly over and I hope I am embarrassed by these thoughts but I liked the idea of Jason Gillespie - or anyone British preferably with a bit of that damn your eyes, aussie mongrel.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Monday, July 21, 2014, 21:43:55 »

What's Hales' first class season been like? Whenever I've seen him play for England looks decent bat, plays proper cricket shots. Doesn't solve captaincy issue but may give us impetus at start of the innings?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, July 21, 2014, 21:49:01 »

What's Hales' first class season been like? Whenever I've seen him play for England looks decent bat, plays proper cricket shots. Doesn't solve captaincy issue but may give us impetus at start of the innings?

This season good after a shaky start, last season terrible.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, July 21, 2014, 23:41:26 »

Ryan Sidebottom had a decent career, still going on the County circuit as well, got 7-for for Yorkshire the other day. Presuming his day his past you have Gurney, Topley (injured), Mills (painfully overrated) and Keith Barker (former footballer, good bowler but not that quick so won't get a look in) as the only prominent left arm quicks that are England qualified. Think there's a young lad at Durham too but his name escapes me.

Edit: quick look at Cricinfo suggests Footit at Derbys has 50 wickets this season, he's had a lot of injuries but was genuinely quick last time I saw him. Can't imagine England ever picking a Derbyshire player though, who was the last, Cork?

Yeah Sidey was decent....but it's still a strangely thin back catalogue.

Derbyshire cricketers  Hmmm probably Cork....I'm thinking before him Bob Taylor, Devon Malcolm, John Morris, Geoff Miller, Mike Hendrick got to be a few more.

Kim Barnett, came to mind. Remember him scoring a patient 80, v Australia, which seemed to suggest a future, but it never happened. Had a sort of right handed Shiv Chanderpaul stance, whereby he stood well outside leg stump and shuffled across as the ball was being bowled. Not in the MCC coaching manual.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:15:19 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 21:04:51 »

Well done to Craig Miles who took part in a Glos last wicket record partnership today, of 137...thus besting the previous efforts of W.R. Gouldsworthy and J.G. Bessant who put on 131 somehow in 1923 v Somerset.

I've been kind of waiting for this as the previous time that Glos had a record partnership was back in 1962, when David Young and Ron Nichols put on 395 for the first wicket v Oxford University. All other counties get a regular turnover....although I suppose when your records were set by Tom Graveney, W.G. Grace, Wally Hammond and Gilbert Jessop it takes a bit of doing.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, July 24, 2014, 08:52:59 »

Well done to Craig Miles who took part in a Glos last wicket record partnership today, of 137...thus besting the previous efforts of W.R. Gouldsworthy and J.G. Bessant who put on 131 somehow in 1923 v Somerset.

I've been kind of waiting for this as the previous time that Glos had a record partnership was back in 1962, when David Young and Ron Nichols put on 395 for the first wicket v Oxford University. All other counties get a regular turnover....although I suppose when your records were set by Tom Graveney, W.G. Grace, Wally Hammond and Gilbert Jessop it takes a bit of doing.

Glos previous highest last wicket stand v Worcs involved Swindons own Jon Lewis, who also set the previous best for a Glos number 11 v Worcs until it was beaten yesterday (not by Miles though as he was number 10)
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 17:08:20 »

Decent days cricket.
Cook unlucky not to reach a ton but made the most of his drop on 15.
Balance with back to back centuries

Seems a lil odd starting on a Sunday tho
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 17:17:11 »

It's pretty crap starting on a Sunday and not surprised Hants have struggled a bit with ticket sales a bit (excluding today obviously).

Not managed to catch any of today's play but gutted Chef didn't get his ton. Setting a decent foundation though and we seem to have rather stumbled across a number 3 to replace Trotty which is a bonus.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 18:44:45 »

Yeah no idea why it didn't start yesterday, silly planning.

Pleased for Cook as a man, hope it sparks a return to form. At the very least it gets him to the end of the summer, in my ideal world he'd step aside as captain at the end of the summer and stay in the team, but if he's scoring runs that's the important thing.

Ballance is a very impressive cricketer, looks not unlike Trott in just getting into the zone and making runs look inevitable but unflashy. Interesting day tomorrow, Bell could do with a score and Buttler may well have the ideal platform to do what he's best at against a tired attack on a fat deck.

Woakes and Jordan playing for Plunkett and stokes a bit of a surprise, harsh on Plunkett as Broad has looked more in the need of a rest, but that's a senior bowler pulling rank I suspect. Woakes I hope does well, along with Moeen he's been outstanding in the Cc for years without getting much of a chance at the top level.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 19:39:46 by Nemo » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 19:59:07 »

Interesting day tomorrow, Bell could do with a score and Buttler may well have the ideal platform to do what he's best at against a tired attack on a fat deck.

You'd like to think we'll bat all day...however we were 300 odd for 3 v the Lankies and still lost, so nothing should be taken for granted.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:13:54 »

Superb knocks from Ballance, Bell and Butler, the latter in one day mode.
Now let's see what - if anything - our seamers can do on this pitch.
kerry red

« Reply #116 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:16:20 »

Read the other day that Bell only seems to score runs when someone before him gets runs first.

When we lose early wickets he struggles. Born out in this innings for sure
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:19:16 »

Read the other day that Bell only seems to score runs when someone before him gets runs first.

When we lose early wickets he struggles. Born out in this innings for sure

Did you watch the Ashes over here last summer. Bell has been our best batsmen the last couple of years and really stood up.

That's something that could have been labelled at him a few years ago maybe, not now though.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 17:02:26 »

Stage was perfectly set for Buttler to come in and bat in one-day mode. Brilliant knock and begs the question as to why he has been kept out of the team by an injured and out of form Prior...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, July 28, 2014, 17:52:35 »

Buttler really is disgustingly talented. That boy will sell a lot of tickets and play some very memorable innings, not sure he'll be a great player by numbers but like Flintoff, he'll empty the bars and change matches on occasion.

Good day for us all in, not much for seamers but the odd one spat for their offies so Moeen might have a bit of an opportunity here. If he doesn't get banned for his wristband anyway...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: