Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The summer of cricket thread 2014  (Read 66791 times)
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 17:48:35 »

57 for 5 is atrocious after watching the way SL batted with ease, even more so with the heavy roller on it.
Might only be a £5 tomorrow but cant see many taking up the option. Dont think England will last past lunch  Crying
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 18:41:46 »

That's always bugged me about cricket.

The captain can play shite and retain his place without question

Captaining any Test side is a uniquely difficult job, England captains these days tend to last about 3 or 4 years before they're burnt out. So since Hussain took over who did 4, Vaughan managed 5, Strauss 4, Peterson and Flintoff 1 year, each.

Cook got a series in Bangladesh, in 2010 to give him a run out and give Strauss a break. So he's not quite at 4 years, but  looks to be fucked.

He's got a lot wrong recently, after a very good start, and it's affected his batting. Ideally there'd be an obvious candidate to step up v India, and give him a chance to focus on batting again.

Stuart Broad, would look like the only internal candidate, but he's starting to creak physically, so probably shouldn't be lumbered. Maybe Ian Bell might surprise us, if he was given a shot at it.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 18:59:28 »

I really hope we see James Vince in and England shirt before long, playing beautifully for Hampshire at the moment.
DMR

« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 20:52:49 »

Who needs KP?
Talk Talk

« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 21:12:16 »

A truly horrible day. Bowling and batting. Sigh. Will the winter never end?

Well done to Angelo Mathews and Herath though.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 21:18:11 »

Sri Lanka seem like such nice chaps that it's hard to begrudge them anything, particularly for Sanga and Jayawardene who probably won't play here again. Top class players.

As for England...the new guys have made a decent fist of it but when the chips are down  the experienced pros need to step up and they didn't. Cooks captaincy is by numbers at best, and his batting is dreadful at the moment. Anderson bowled as poorly as he ever has and Broad not much better. There's the potential for a good side in here but there's something wrong at the core of it all.

No easy answers though.

Talk Talk

« Reply #21 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 21:21:17 »

Stuart Broad, would look like the only internal candidate, but he's starting to creak physically, so probably shouldn't be lumbered. Maybe Ian Bell might surprise us, if he was given a shot at it.

Nah, definitely not Broad, he is way too emotional. we would get through our appeals in three overs. Bowlers rarely make good captains. Can't think of many who were useful, even Willis was mediocre.

Maybe Belly, but I'm thinking more like Prior. But then again I have absolutely no idea about their management skills or personal charisma.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 23:14:14 »

Nah, definitely not Broad, he is way too emotional. we would get through our appeals in three overs. Bowlers rarely make good captains. Can't think of many who were useful, even Willis was mediocre.

Maybe Belly, but I'm thinking more like Prior. But then again I have absolutely no idea about their management skills or personal charisma.

The only reason why you think bowlers don't make captains, is because particularly in English cricket....batsmen have always been toffs, and bowlers workers....therefore the captain has to be a batsman. The best England captain of my time time was Raymond Illingworth....a bowler who batted a bit.

Illingworth, only got the job, because the distinction between Gentlemen and Players was removed in 1962...a key indicator of the radical 60's...it took about 8 or 9 years to filter through.

The worst thing that has happened in English cricket recently, is the stepping down as selector of Geoff Miller. Miller a Chesterfield boy who played for Derbyshire, seemed to get most things right....his replacement Whittaker, a public school educated toff, who so far seems to have got most things wrong.

I'd love to know whether it was Miller or Whittaker, who picked Woakes and Kerrigan at the Oval....
DMR

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 14:37:04 »

Prior shouldn't be in the team, never mind captain of it.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 18:11:39 »

Bollox

Crying
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 18:14:35 »

Bollox

Crying

Great knock from Moeen Ali though....
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 18:15:21 »

You couldn't make it up!  Jimmy lasts 80-odd minutes and 50-odd deliveries - without scoring - and then contrives to get out like that with only one ball left!  No
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 18:23:46 »

Ohh jimmy!! Great effort though from those two at the end, noone thought it would last that long. Top order and cook especially need a good long look at themselves
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 18:33:26 »

Great knock from Moeen Ali though....

Indeed and bet he is gutted
Bet both are.

Englands woe continues no matter what the sport
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 19:09:57 »

Brilliant knock from Ali.