Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pre-season friendlies  (Read 35219 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 14:04:40 »

Pound notes Reg? 

Yep....nice crisp oncer.  Just as well, because I don't think a moth eaten one would have worked.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 14:55:27 »

Couldn't beat the fag vending machines, usually conveniently in shops right next to schools. Took 90% of my dinner money over the years and never a fake id needed.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 20:15:04 »

I once ran out of petrol on the A3, just outside of Petersfield, at some very early hour of the morning with a hired van load of people on the way back to Pompey from a Hawkwind free festival in Harlow. Rolled to the outskirts and then pushed to a handy garage....of course closed....but wonder of wonders, a machine that would take, in 73 probably a pound and dispense petrol.

I reckon this was about the time of a boom in vending machines in GB....I knew of places where you could buy eggs, from outside farms, milk machines were available and I always liked shoe polishing machines.

Can remember the milk vending machines.
Usually to be found on railway stations and dispensed in triangular cartons which were cunts to open.
Lloyds garage on Fleming way and the one in Highworth had vending petrol pumps iirc.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 20:19:31 by Mother Brown » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 07:18:13 »

On Belgian railways stations they have beer vending machines. Admittedly they mostly sell Jupiler but a beer is a beer when you need one Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 09:44:16 »

Pound notes Reg? 
you would of been amazed at a 10 Bob note. Worth 50p at the point of decimalisation.

What a con that was.

After we kick Europe into touch, we can bring back 240 pennies to the £.

Power to the people.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 09:58:09 »

you would of been amazed at a 10 Bob note. Worth 50p at the point of decimalisation.

What a con that was.

After we kick Europe into touch, we can bring back 240 pennies to the £.

Power to the people.

The irony here, is that the original pound was based on the Roman libra.... a sort of 2000 year old Euro, used throughout the Empire.  Hence LSD and lb for mass, as the currency was based on a set mass of silver.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 09:59:08 »

Certainly did...you could pick them up quite cheaply in junk shops, nice looking ornamental ones to boot......40's/50's retro style....amazingly you could still buy the wicks.

Just bought one of these this week to use in my shed. Anything I should know?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Sir Pissalot

Re:
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 10:14:08 »

Keep a fire extinguisher handy?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, May 29, 2014, 10:23:51 »

Yeah, make sure you have a bit of ventilation....and that you don't allow it to run out of fuel....burns the wick, so then doesn't work efficiently.

Oh and don't put your hand on it when hot, or worse still sit on it forgetting it's on.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 30, 2014, 15:44:15 »

“@BBCCambsSport:
Cambridge United are set to face Shaktar Donetsk, Espanyol and West Ham in a pre-season tournament at the Abbey on July 19th/20th.#cufc

What the actual fuck

Still, least we will have Petersfield  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Friday, May 30, 2014, 15:48:34 by @mwooly63 » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, May 30, 2014, 16:20:47 »

Did we not also play Espanyol one year in a pre-season friendly?  It would have been Hoddle era.  I think we may have had them one year and Sporting Lisbon the next?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, May 30, 2014, 16:22:35 »

Shame the Samsung sponsorship didn't get us a high profile friendly or two.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, May 30, 2014, 16:30:42 »

Did we not also play Espanyol one year in a pre-season friendly?  It would have been Hoddle era.  I think we may have had them one year and Sporting Lisbon the next?

I was thinking that.....but I'm now wondering if the game v Los Periquitos actually happened, or if it was just proposed, and never materialised.

We  got completely mullered by Sporting, who if memory serves had Luis Figo playing.  We've also had friendlies v Real Sociedad and Sporting Gijon.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, May 30, 2014, 16:34:37 »

I think Lisbon had quite a vocal support that day too. I remember most of the play was at one end  Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, May 30, 2014, 16:37:05 »

I've seen Espanyol play three times this season, they were lousy on every occasion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: