Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coventry City v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 24708 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:00:09 »

The Opponent:  Coventry City

In cultural terms, Coventry could be described as the Dresden of the West Midlands. The city’s landscape remains scarred by the mass bombings of WWII, carried out in revenge for the allied firebombing of the similarly medieval German city (as recorded in Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five). Coventry was decimated by the attacks and much of its heritage was wiped out in a single night. Consequently, much of it had to be rebuilt in 70s-style modernist concrete, turning much of it into a Ballardian horrorshow, complete with criss-cross inner ring-road where cars take a daily death race and subway underpasses connect isolated grass roundabouts, some of the only green inner-city space, floating within the orbiting traffic belt.

There are many reasons to dislike Coventry: it has a regular listing in Crap Towns, an annual compendium of the worst places to live in the UK; the people are depressed in every sense because career opportunities are declining day-by-day to the extent that a nervy Midlands Today presenter could quite easily sigh deeply into their chest, fold up their papers and blow their brains out on live TV, rather than have to report another downturn in the local economy. The city also has one of the highest uptakes of food parcels from the Trussell Trust because people cannot get by on their benefits alone which threatens to further increase the number of homeless people living in the subways and under the notorious/iconic ring road. So severe is the uptake of food parcels in Coventry that the city was the subject of report by the BBC and a lengthy article by the Orwell Prize-winning Guardian journalist, Amelia Gentleman. There is also the high crime rate, ranging from the serious to the ridiculous, such as the lady who famously put a cat into a wheelie-bin.

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/44286-Tomorrow

Last 6 – LWLLDL (15th in League 1 on 49 points)

They have served us both –  Dave Bamber, Trevor Benjamin, Leon Clarke, Terry Gibson, Paul Heald, Lukas Jutkiewicz, Brian Kilcline, Kevin MacDonald, Jamie McMaster, Lee Middleton, Graham Oakey, Ted Peers, Abdul Said, Arthur Beadsworth, John Stephens, Paul Trollope, Dave Bennett, Jake Findlay, Ady Williams, Ben Woolhouse, Derek Hall, Richard Key, Ernie Hunt, Kyle Lightbourne, Tyrell Bedford, Brian Borrows, Tim Flowers, Gary Marshall, Ken McPherson, Alan Moore, Fred Hawley, Johnnie Jackson, Ken Keyworth, Dennis Wise, Danny Ward, Tope Obadeyi, Frank Peters, John Smith, Miles Storey, Adam Willis, Roy Wegerle, David Thompson, Jack Starsmore, Albert Powell, Lilian Nalis, Barry Lowes, Terry Merriman.

The Odds –  Coventry 6/4   Draw 12/5  Swindon 19/10  If he starts, get on Troy at 33/1 to open the scoring for Town, I can feel it in my water.

The Son Says – A simple and easy 2-1 victory. I expected no less.

The Prediction – We will make the nearly 2/1 odds look silly and crush the homeless club 1-0, TAH with a towering header in the last minute, Mark Cooper runs across the pitch with a jubilant Louis Thompson in hot pursuit. 4’444 in attendance with 999 from Swindon.

And Finally –  Coventry is well known for the legendary 11th century exploits of Lady Godiva who, according to legend, rode through the city naked on horseback in protest at high taxes being levied on the city folk by her husband Leofric, Earl of Mercia.  According to the legend the residents of the city were commanded to look away as she rode, but one man did not and was allegedly struck blind. He became known as Peeping Tom thus originating a new idiom, or metonym, in English.

COYR COYR COYR
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:05:40 »

The best thing about Coventry is every single fucking road out of there.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:12:00 »

3-1 to us. Crowd of 3,557 with 1,087 from us
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:12:59 »

Except that Dresden was fire-bombed over four years after the blitz on Coventry.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:24:09 »

Except that Dresden was fire-bombed over four years after the blitz on Coventry.

Twat
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:45:42 »

Twat

Comment is free, but facts are sacred...C.P. Scott
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 23:47:26 »

Twat

He may be a twat, but he's an accurate twat.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:33:19 »

Twat

Why's that, nice bloke?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:45:34 »

2-1 defeat.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:46:34 »

2-0 us with smith and troyyyyyyy scoring!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:48:28 »

What gets me is that they flattened Coventry, and we flattened Dresden.  Here are a few pics from Coventry and from Dresden.  Who do you think did the better rebuilding job?

Coventry

Dresden

Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:52:55 »

Coventry looks like cavvy square from those pics.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:53:11 »

What gets me is that they flattened Coventry, and we flattened Dresden.  Here are a few pics from Coventry and from Dresden.  Who do you think did the better rebuilding job?

I think what you have there is the differing impacts of high explosive vs incendiary bombs.

Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 08:18:39 »

Coventry looks like cavvy square from those pics.

Cavvy looks beautiful since the rebuild, you can stock up on white cider and king size rizla on the way back from doing the school run  Smiley
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 09:46:20 »

...because they're German?

Also probably because they didn't rebuild it in the 'modern' 60's/70's style that is now universally regarded as grotesque. Whoever thought pebble dash was attractive?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: