Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Relegation/Promotion  (Read 5299 times)
kerry red

« on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 21:24:36 »

Anyone know why L2 to L1 there is 4 teams promoted and 4, obviously, relegated when the other leagues are all 3 up and down
penhillbilly

Unbeeelievable Jeff !!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 21:37:48 »

to give the scum false hope, i think   Wink

No one is Innocent...
wigglesworth

« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 07:31:00 »

Yes that was my understanding too, its to give as many dross, dregs, waste of time teams as possible the illusion they are involved in the promotion race. Non league fodder like the pox for instance can get all excited every year that they're competing with the big boys in divvy four, and maybe just maybe this could be the year all their dreams come true and they get to mix it in the rarified air  of the promised land of division three... when in reality everyone knows they'll be right back where they started the next season. That being a horrible little club in a three sided shit heap ina hotel carpark. In Swindon's shadow. Forever.

*spit*
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 08:21:59 »

I assume it has something to do with when the lower division where geographically split?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:11:00 »

I always thought it was because the bottom two divisions were bigger than the top two.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:16:47 »

I always thought it was because the bottom two divisions were bigger than the top two.
They were until the Premier was shrunk in size now the 3 leagues are all 24 teams with the Premier League at 20.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:18:18 »

Just seems a tad unfair on L1 teams being the only league with 4 getting relegated.

And I can't see any particular reason for it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:40:57 »

I assume it has something to do with when the lower division where geographically split?

When Div 3 was formed in 20/21 after the Great War, there was only the one league. The following year, 21/22, Div 3 North and South were formed. There was only 1 up from each league, but bottom 2 had to apply for re-election...bottom 2 from Div 2 going down, into either n or s depending on geography.

Speak to any Argyle fan and they will tell you how they finished runner up in Div 3 S 6 years in a row in the early 20's, without going up until winning the league in 1930.

So when Div 3 and 4 were formed after the 57/58 season...the idea of 4 clubs at the bottom was carried over, both into Div 3 relegation and Div 4 re-election.

3 up 3 down from Div 1 and Div 2, wasn't introduced until 73/74, happily it made no difference to us as we finished bottom of Div 2 anyway..
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:42:50 »

Swindon Town have been so bad in our most recent League One relegations we've not had to bemoan that extra place.

1994-95 in the (new money) Championship however? Grrrr.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:55:00 »

Swindon Town have been so bad in our most recent League One relegations we've not had to bemoan that extra place.

1994-95 in the (new money) Championship however? Grrrr.

Yep, certainly the most obvious example of how we got the wrong side of a league re-jig.

I'm still grateful though of how we managed to get a decent finish in 57/58 and so avoid starting 58/59 in Div 4. We had to apply for re-election the 2 previous seasons.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 10:58:44 »

Yep, certainly the most obvious example of how we got the wrong side of a league re-jig.

Alright Reg keep it friendly.

Wink
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 11:02:36 »

I'm still grateful though of how we managed to get a decent finish in 57/58 and so avoid starting 58/59 in Div 4. We had to apply for re-election the 2 previous seasons.
I do remember my dad saying that it was almost a miracle that season that we finished so high when it mattered, and that we finished above Torquay who had finished well above us for the preceding 4 or 5 seasons. We actually pretty much swapped places in the league in the south/noth split season.

Torquay are a side he always considered as a rival right up until he died because of this I think! Ironically his last game at the County Ground (before he got buried there of course) was Swindon 2-1 Torquay under Sturrock in 2007 when Jutkiewicz scored a cracker from outside the box seconds after Torquay equalized.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 28, 2014, 11:06:29 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 11:18:31 »

......Swindon 2-1 Torquay under Sturrock in 2007 when Jutkiewicz scored a cracker from outside the box seconds after Torquay equalized.

Great Youtube clip of that moment, from the Torquay fans perspective. I smile whenever I watch it.

It's All Good..............
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 11:21:47 »

That is one of the best videos on YouTube.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 11:24:47 »

Sums up football: a short moment of ecstasy/relief/jubilation, followed by crushing disappointment.

I love the end.

It's All Good..............
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: