Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25871 times)
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 08:26:32 »

Overall I agree with Batch's assessment of the game.  Compared with Saturday, Town played better through most of the game - but Wolves are not Franchise (crap).  The power and speed of the Wolves movement in the first half would have tested any defence.  And the key difference for me (allowing for the slowness of our defence) was that all across the pitch there was incisive movement which meant there were any number of options for Wolves in each attack.  Personally, I thought Branco had a good game (apart from allowing Clarke to get the ball through his legs for his goal).  And I agree that JMac was outstanding.  The real weakness in the first half was in central midfield , which was so ponderous, and no-one seemed to know what to do with the ball once they got it.  Harley's passing was poor, and Luongo just seemed clueless.  Kassim was OK, but presumably still fatigued, because I would have replaced Harley with Thompson rather than him.  I think most on here are less than generous to Pritchard, who was everywhere he could be, and was the source of all threat in the first half.  Whilst JMac would have been a worthy recipient of MoM, I expected Pritchard to get it.  I guess its difficult for a defender to be given it in the face of such a defeat...

The second half WAS a different story, the question is how do you get that kind of performance for 90mins.  I enjoyed the game, even though it was painful sitting through the first half.  Wolves sould win the league easily.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 08:30:02 »

Jay McEveley was completely committed and had a good game but thought Alex Pritchard was excellent. Our only real source of creating something every game. We are usually reliant on him. Think a lot of people will only realise how good he has been this season when we don't have him anymore.

Michael Smith so much better in the second half too. Actually helped link the play up.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 08:32:20 »

Wolves are the best side I've seen at this level for years.

Their second and third goals were class.

They made us look amateurish,  it was frightening. It was a bit like when Southampton  came back for the cup game under Di Canio. They were just on another planet.

Encouraging 2nd half despite Wolves taking it easy. Smith, Pritch, Jay, Louis and Byrne all did well, CBs didn't stand a chance against that pace but goals aside did ok. First half was terrible, don't gwt me wrong but at least the effort was there in the 2nd half.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:08:52 »

So an expected heavy defeat and bloody Leon Clarke ruined my prediction.

My question to those that went, and this kind of carries on from some bloody spineless performances that I have been to this season that out of the players in our squad, who ACTUALLY gives a shit when they go onto the pitch.

If we had 11 J Macs (and I think Byrne cares as well, although he polarises opinions) at least you couldn't question the desire and commitment.

Harley for instance, is such a shite bag, and this irritates me.

I have said it before that Smith has a terrible touch, but he will score goals given the chance and works hard for the cause. That's 5 goals now, and he has probably had 7 chances created for him in his whole Swindon career. Feeding off scraps.

I fear that it might be ugly at City on Saturday.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:13:15 »

How much was their parachute payment this year? 16 million? No surprises we got smashed.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:20:32 »

My question to those that went, and this kind of carries on from some bloody spineless performances that I have been to this season that out of the players in our squad, who ACTUALLY gives a shit when they go onto the pitch.

In my opinion, these are the outfield players who can be guarenteed to make an effort-

Jay Mac.
Nathan Byrne
Nathan and Louis Thompson
Pritch
Mass
Raffa Rossi Branco
Nile Ranger
Yasser

Mass seems to be in the middle of a bad patch at the moment. I think he is knackered and it is showing.

Not everyone excluded from the list is a non trier. many haven't been around enough to make a true assesment but, of those, I would say George Barker and Michael Smith can probably be included.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:21:19 »

Don't think you can fault Byrne's commitment and effort. He's put in some reasonably good performances recently too.

Nobody else had mentioned barker. Thought he did ok last night, neat and tidy, with  effort but without looking dangerous though chances were at a  premium for everyone.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:31:00 »

Yeah tbf to him he did well just floundered a bit around the box and Bob, Smith actually took a lot of nice touches last night including a couple of good first time lay offs to Mass on the edge of the box.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:45:18 »

Well they smashed us.

Cut through us like a knife through butter.

They were very very good and despite my poor rating of Cooper, i think a better formation with our better players with a better manager would of struggled to cope with them, at least until they switched off.

The lack of anything ...fight, idea, battle, nous, tactical changes etc until the game was over on 80 minutes was a frustration, as was that cunt Clarke scoring.

I have been called a moany, angry, negative cunt (all true) for the last few weeks but i would like someone to point out ANY positives from last night with the exception of Smiths well taken goal.

We need 6-8 points from somewhere and i dont know where they are coming from.

The thought of getting smashed to fuck at the slavetraders with the game ending with them only 3 points behind us, fills me with dread....we will see...hope springs eternal...

The positive, is that getting the 6 points that maybe needed should be just about doable, as I've been saying since the Shrewsbury game, the win at PV being massive and meaning we can get them in ones, great shame we threw one away on Saturday, but hey ho.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:55:25 »

Don't think you can fault Byrne's commitment and effort. He's put in some reasonably good performances recently too.

Nobody else had mentioned barker. Thought he did ok last night, neat and tidy, with  effort but without looking dangerous though chances were at a  premium for everyone.

I actually rate Byrne, I think he has been a good signing and everytime I see him he puts in a shift.

In my opinion, these are the outfield players who can be guarenteed to make an effort-

Jay Mac.
Nathan Byrne
Nathan and Louis Thompson
Pritch
Mass
Raffa Rossi Branco
Nile Ranger
Yasser

Mass seems to be in the middle of a bad patch at the moment. I think he is knackered and it is showing.

Not everyone excluded from the list is a non trier. many haven't been around enough to make a true assesment but, of those, I would say George Barker and Michael Smith can probably be included.

Your list is close to what I had in my head.

I'd like to see Reis given more game time now, I wonder if Cooper/Power don't actually rate him.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:56:07 »

Yeah tbf to him he did well just floundered a bit around the box and Bob, Smith actually took a lot of nice touches last night including a couple of good first time lay offs to Mass on the edge of the box.

Yeah my dad said his touch was better last night.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 11:32:44 »

He layoffs were good, when he tried to touch it down to himself it was quite laughably bad.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 14:57:32 »

Well from those bits it looked like we couldn't be arsed to put in an ounce of effort.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 15:00:38 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 15:08:11 »

Well from those bits it looked like we couldn't be arsed to put in an ounce of effort.

MAybe saving the energy for a big effort on Saturday?

nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 16:38:54 »

Had the misfortune of attending a pasting at Chesterfield circa 2003 with the lumbering trio of Viveash, Reeves and Heywood at centre back. Watching last night and those goal highlights was horribly reminiscent of that. Ward truly ought to be put out of his misery, and Branco's enthusiasm and effort is only matched by his defensive naivety. Talking of which hadn't spotted last night just how bad Byrne's feeble clearance that led to the first goal was. Shame the highlights not include Jay Macs effort that hit the post would have liked to have seen how close that was.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: