Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 5192 times)
kerry red

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 18:39:53 »

I have no delusions as to our expectations this season.

I have seen enough Town games over the years to realise the majority are run of the mill, averagely dull affairs.

But, for a team who have been knocking around the play offs for a good while now I struggle to remember a decent performance since Xmas.

I don't expect promotion or relegation at seasons start, I just want to be entertained more often than not and the heady days of early season have dulled my appetite for attending.

I seriously doubt if Cooper actually believes in what he says about the 'style' of our football as he can't see much different to what the fans see.

We are just in the midst of a mediocre period of club life.

It has always been thus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:06:33 »

I have no delusions as to our expectations this season.

I have seen enough Town games over the years to realise the majority are run of the mill, averagely dull affairs.

But, for a team who have been knocking around the play offs for a good while now I struggle to remember a decent performance since Xmas.

I don't expect promotion or relegation at seasons start, I just want to be entertained more often than not and the heady days of early season have dulled my appetite for attending.

I seriously doubt if Cooper actually believes in what he says about the 'style' of our football as he can't see much different to what the fans see.

We are just in the midst of a mediocre period of club life.

It has always been thus

Indeed...the drop off in form was highly predictable, namely Div 3 is a tough attritional league, weather/pitches, injuries suspension, young player etc, was always going to take its toll.  The key was still having enough to pick up the 3 definitive home wins, v Posh, Cov and Shrews.

Unfortunately though, at STFC as with most clubs when mediocrity sets in fans vote with their feet....
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:10:08 »

Indeed...the drop off in form was highly predictable, namely Div 3 is a tough attritional league, weather/pitches, injuries suspension, young player etc, was always going to take its toll.  The key was still having enough to pick up the 3 definitive home wins, v Posh, Cov and Shrews.

Unfortunately though, at STFC as with most clubs when mediocrity sets in fans vote with their feet....
but is this mediocrity or complete dross?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:23:49 »

You decide....you're the one who is apparently giving up on the club.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:29:30 »

You decide....you're the one who is apparently giving up on the club.
well you were the one that plucked mediocrity out of your ass. I just gave you the chance to correct your mistake.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:34:01 »

I can only wonder where the club would be without the link with tottenscum.
Down already I think.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:37:34 »

It's mediocrity. If you've really been going for 45 years as you claim, in fact even if you've been going for a third of that time, you'll have seen plenty of genuine dross to be able to compare
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 19:46:02 »

It's mediocrity. If you've really been going for 45 years as you claim, in fact even if you've been going for a third of that time, you'll have seen plenty of genuine dross to be able to compare

Looks back with fond(ish) memories of periods of dull leading to chants such as "we'll score again, don't know where, don't know when....", and "all we want is a fucking shot on goal..a fucking shot on goal..a fucking shot on goal"....

I'll never forget getting sympathy off Forest fans while sitting in their home end after losing 3-0 (I think ) one boxing day. When you get clocked as an away fan in the home end and the locals don't have the heart to at least rip into you, then you now its not good Smiley
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 20:18:19 »

yep all that time with a one season break when Trollope was in charge. Not missing a home or away game for six seasons in the 70s. I've seen relegation at Newport. Stood on the bank with 3000 in the ground in the 4th division. Danced in Mansfield when we won promotion. Been to Accrington and Old Trafford with the Town. The  1 1 draw with Bournemouth on my wedding day in the Arkells
Still this experiment stinks. I'll put up with it until the end of the season. We've still got some of the better teams to play at home and I'll come on here and bitch unless I'm banned again in the meantime.
Not bragging or claiming anything special. Just not the beautiful game any more.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 20:34:10 »

Whilst others may not agree with your view, I'm sure they'll agree its a shame you feel that way now. Plus they may not like what you say, but that shouldn't stop you from saying it!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 20:37:30 »

yep all that time with a one season break when Trollope was in charge. Not missing a home or away game for six seasons in the 70s. I've seen relegation at Newport. Stood on the bank with 3000 in the ground in the 4th division. Danced in Mansfield when we won promotion. Been to Accrington and Old Trafford with the Town. The  1 1 draw with Bournemouth on my wedding day in the Arkells
Still this experiment stinks. I'll put up with it until the end of the season. We've still got some of the better teams to play at home and I'll come on here and bitch unless I'm banned again in the meantime.
Not bragging or claiming anything special. Just not the beautiful game any more.

It's boring, void of imagination, drive and passion.
Best part of today though was spending 10 minutes with Andy Rowland.
An all time idol for me. We talked about the 8-0 Bury game, the Arsenal  epic games and then of course Steve McMahon....... Loved every minute.
Not giving up but it's so bloody dull with no threat up front and nobody taking anyone on and no crosses in the box to get you off your feet.
Yes I thought we would get relegated this season so expectations exceeded.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 21:17:02 »

yep all that time with a one season break when Trollope was in charge. Not missing a home or away game for six seasons in the 70s. I've seen relegation at Newport. Stood on the bank with 3000 in the ground in the 4th division. Danced in Mansfield when we won promotion. Been to Accrington and Old Trafford with the Town. The  1 1 draw with Bournemouth on my wedding day in the Arkells

If that is true,and I have no reason to think it's not-how can you say we are" down the Swanee" now?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
fatbasher

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 07:58:12 »

well you were the one that plucked mediocrity out of your ass. I just gave you the chance to correct your mistake.

It's "Arse", "Ass" is another name for a donkey.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 09:26:58 »

And if we dont ?

It's still better than what you expected, I'd imagine.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 10:12:25 »

It's boring, void of imagination, drive and passion.
Best part of today though was spending 10 minutes with Andy Rowland.
An all time idol for me. We talked about the 8-0 Bury game, the Arsenal  epic games and then of course Steve McMahon....... Loved every minute.
Not giving up but it's so bloody dull with no threat up front and nobody taking anyone on and no crosses in the box to get you off your feet.
Yes I thought we would get relegated this season so expectations exceeded.

How is Andy Rowland now? I remember reading last year that he was quite ill, so i am hopefully presuming from reading your post that he much better :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: