Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 158931 times)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 21:01:44 »

The Waddies brewery tour is great! Proper 'no frills', loads of tasty ales to try, and bite in The Crown after... value!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 21:22:23 »

Just cracked the top off a bottle of hobgoblin
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 21:26:07 »

I prefer Tribute to Doombar and my all time favourite is Cornish Knocker by Skinners...better on draught but I have to make do with my brother getting me some from the Spar in Dobwalls.

I shit you not but my old man went on a tour of Waddys brewery and they were brewing Doombar in there...demand thing I suppose...under liscence.

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 21:50:18 »

Was the pint of 'wood' at the Beehive Morrells? Back in the 80s and 90s? I'm sure it was a Morrells pub back then. Nice pint.

The best place for Morlands was the Brewery Tap in Abingdon. I'm not sure if the pub is still there or the brewery, it was back in the 80s/90s when I was last there.

My local has started selling Tribute. Lovely pint.

Yep...Morrell's also used to do a strong brew called College....Reilly refused to stock it on draught as he reckoned it was a fighting beer, sought it out one night in The Prince of Wales with a couple of mates, when the Prince had a couple of year lease with Morrell's....ended the night in a wild west style punch up. Morland's went in about 1990, but Greene King picked up Old Speckled Hen.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 22:34:08 »

I prefer Tribute to Doombar and my all time favourite is Cornish Knocker by Skinners...better on draught but I have to make do with my brother getting me some from the Spar in Dobwalls.

I shit you not but my old man went on a tour of Waddys brewery and they were brewing Doombar in there...demand thing I suppose...under liscence.

Betty Stogs is another good Skinner's ale and gets my vote for best Cornish ale.  I would prefer a Cornish Coaster but I've learnt today that it's an American beer (cheers Reg).

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #35 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 08:43:47 »

Tribute gives me the shits. True story.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 10:39:11 »

Cornish Knocker is another cracking beer. I don't know what it is about the cornish recently but their beer is pretty much all brilliant.

Doom Bar being produced under license elsewhere is part of the reason it's gone downhill. The ingredients may well be the same (or similar), but the end product is just not...

The St. Austell Brewery tour is a very interesting thing, and I'd advise anyone who happens to be in the area to go on it, especially if the weather's a bit shit and there's not much else to do. One of the few gravity-fed breweries left.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 11:41:45 »

Cornish Knocker is another cracking beer. I don't know what it is about the cornish recently but their beer is pretty much all brilliant.

Doom Bar being produced under license elsewhere is part of the reason it's gone downhill. The ingredients may well be the same (or similar), but the end product is just not...

The St. Austell Brewery tour is a very interesting thing, and I'd advise anyone who happens to be in the area to go on it, especially if the weather's a bit shit and there's not much else to do. One of the few gravity-fed breweries left.

I've a 1984 CAMRA guide to Cornwall...it starts off by saying Cornwall has 3 breweries...St Austell, Devenish and the wondrous   Blue Anchor in Helston.

Devenish was a Weymouth based outfit with a branch in Redruth which seemed to get stuck between tradition and wanting to go modern, and did neither so disappeared...you could get Devenish in the Steam and Queen's Tap, horrible stuff.

The Blue Anchor laid claim to being the oldest home brewery in the British Isles dating from the 1400's....basically a shed out the back....it produced the legendary Spingo; Spingo special being one of the strongest beers in Britain...and it's still going  Smiley

A session on the Special, was not for the faint hearted, especially if followed by a nocturnal pedal across Goonhilly Down...

So good to see that St Austell has managed to survive as well by sticking to traditional values.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 12:27:30 »

Tribute gives me the shits. True story.

I've had to stop drinking my preferred London Pride for the same reason  Sad

Do like Tribute though, and if we're allowed to move as far afield from Cornwall as Dorset, the Badger Beers (Hall & Woodhouse Brewery) are very good. Fursty Ferret and Hopping Hare particularly.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 12:32:37 »

I have 3 ales on tap in my pub. Harveys Sussex best, tribute, and jail ale from the dartmoor brewery. It's absolutely delicious!
timmyg

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 13:09:03 »

Anyone in South London/South-East might have seen CronX beer knocking around.  Their Galaxy IPA is top drawer, and the blonde (Kotchin) is delicious too.

Off to the Red Lion in Cricklade for their Winter Beer Festival tomorrow, their home-brew FlapJack Ale is supposed to be "interesting" so I'm looking forward to trying that.

never trust a nun...
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #41 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 18:00:01 »

Just having some Holsten Premium, it's awful don't buy it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #42 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 19:07:38 »

I've a 1984 CAMRA guide to Cornwall...it starts off by saying Cornwall has 3 breweries...St Austell, Devenish and the wondrous   Blue Anchor in Helston.

Devenish was a Weymouth based outfit with a branch in Redruth which seemed to get stuck between tradition and wanting to go modern, and did neither so disappeared...you could get Devenish in the Steam and Queen's Tap, horrible stuff.

The Blue Anchor laid claim to being the oldest home brewery in the British Isles dating from the 1400's....basically a shed out the back....it produced the legendary Spingo; Spingo special being one of the strongest beers in Britain...and it's still going  Smiley

A session on the Special, was not for the faint hearted, especially if followed by a nocturnal pedal across Goonhilly Down...

So good to see that St Austell has managed to survive as well by sticking to traditional values.
I had forgotten all about Devenish, they made some superb steam beers back in the late 80's always on sale in the Queens Tap and a few other pubs in Swindon.

We have a few local breweries here that sell in the local pubs, such as Cotleigh, Moor, Yeovil Ales, Bays but in the main its Exmoor....can't beat 5 or 6 pints of Beast on draught....delicious.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 19:43:25 »

I miss 6X Sad
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 19:51:04 »

I miss 6X Sad

I'll have a few for you later  Wink