Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 158936 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:09:00 »

Has anyone tried Doombar? On sale in a local pub near me,  I am getting a taste for real ales again,  wondered if it's a good un?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:29:39 »

Has anyone tried Doombar? On sale in a local pub near me,  I am getting a taste for real ales again,  wondered if it's a good un?

Cornwall used to be an ale desert, until Doom Bar was sold by Sharp's micro in the 90's, it did well, thus enabling the founder to sell to an American multi national....good enough reason for me not to buy it. 
scillyred

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:29:50 »

Local to me -  Yes
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:33:07 »

Cornwall used to be an ale desert, until Doom Bar was sold by Sharp's micro in the 90's, it did well, thus enabling the founder to sell to an American multi national....good enough reason for me not to buy it. 

Pretty much everywhere up here, I wondered why. The London lads who like real ales drink it, not tried it myself though.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:37:23 »

Never knew that. Doom bar used to be one of those rarity ales but now it's more popular than Stella which takes the shine of it.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:39:17 »

Doom Bar is lovely. Was surprised to see it in bottles in the supermarket recently, but Reg has explained that one!

Got a bottle of Old Peculiar knocking around in the kitchen, but I'm driving the next 4 evenings so it's going to have to stay put. Looking forward to that one.
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:39:56 »

It's alright, not one of the best though. Timmy Taylor's Landlord is my real ale of choice
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:40:09 »

Pretty much everywhere up here, I wondered why. The London lads who like real ales drink it, not tried it myself though.

The whole point of the 70's started CAMRA thing was to try and keep local diversity against the globalisation tendencies that had emerged during the 60's, In many ways a successful pressure group, but very difficult to fly in the face of prevailing trends...ale is again seen as an old farts drink, just as well there's still plenty of us around with grey pounds.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:44:44 »

The whole point of the 70's started CAMRA thing was to try and keep local diversity against the globalisation tendencies that had emerged during the 60's, In many ways a successful pressure group, but very difficult to fly in the face of prevailing trends...ale is again seen as an old farts drink, just as well there's still plenty of us around with grey pounds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2527991/Could-BEER-replace-wine-UKs-festive-tipple-choice-Sales-real-ale-triple-run-Christmas.html... there's always hope

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
DMR

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:49:14 »

Not drinking an ale that you like, just because it's now everywhere, is akin to not shagging a fit bird just because there's been a few lads in there before you.

wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 16:57:42 »

There are so many breweries in Wiltshire that you should be able to find a good range of good, local beer.

Plain Ales in Warminster are making some great stuff which pops up in good free houses - Indulgence is my favourite, a top ten beer.
Three Castles near Pewsey, Stonehenge in Netheravon, Box Steam in Box and Moles all do great beer.

Surely a pub in Calne stocks Abbey Ales - Bellringer is a great for as session.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:13:55 »

Not drinking an ale that you like, just because it's now everywhere, is akin to not shagging a fit bird just because there's been a few lads in there before you.

It's a fair point, but I've never developed a taste for Doom Bar, even when being flogged for £2:50 in the Steam relatively recently....sloppy seconds after DMR  No
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:19:52 »

It's a fair point, but I've never developed a taste for Doom Bar, even when being flogged for £2:50 in the Steam relatively recently....sloppy seconds after DMR  No

I have always thought that Cornish beer doesn't travel very well (and neither does scottish beer). For me, Doombar has a sort of tinny taste.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:20:52 »

Hope... there's always hope

The first article although on the surface encouraging, is perhaps just an indicator that the young don't go to pubs much other than for a weekend binge, the second is a bit out of date, but you're right let's hope...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:27:38 »

I have always thought that Cornish beer doesn't travel very well (and neither does scottish beer). For me, Doombar has a sort of tinny taste.

I've always thought most ale doesn't travel well....back in the 70's I was convinced that 6X suffered on the bumpy and bendy 361 from Devizes to OT.

To get it at its best, should be within horse drawn dray distance of the Waddy's brewery.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:30:45 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: