Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who was it that wont play for the reserves?  (Read 5140 times)
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 13:36:00 »

This is why i think Roberts.

King said in an interview he saw Roberts as 4th choice striker behind Thorpe, Cureton and Fallon and if he didn't want to be judged as a wide midfielder he still had a lot to prove.

He also mentioned a player who felt he should start against Nottingham Forest because according to him he played well on tuesday but King said he expects players to play well for the full 90 minutes, not just the last half hour - Roberts against Oldham.

Roberts has a history of getting fed up if he's not first choice striker and it sounds like something he would do, can't see it being Thorpe.
Dazzza

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 14:02:52 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
This is why i think Roberts.

King said in an interview he saw Roberts as 4th choice striker behind Thorpe, Cureton and Fallon and if he didn't want to be judged as a wide midfielder he still had a lot to prove.

He also mentioned a player who felt he should start against Nottingham Forest because according to him he played well on tuesday but King said he expects players to play well for the full 90 minutes, not just the last half hour - Roberts against Oldham.

Roberts has a history of getting fed up if he's not first choice striker and it sounds like something he would do, can't see it being Thorpe.

Never seen that interview.  Has King actually said that he views Roberts as 4th choice striker and that he will be judged on being a right winger until such a date that he proves himself worthy?

I’ve always read it as everyone being on a clean slate with no player having an automatic priority or right to a starting birth.

Far more likely to be Thorpe.  He’s not had much of an opportunity to impress so far, missed training and the last game with a cold and is the third cog in the wheel if you like that has to show willing for a starting slot at Blackpool.

Plus add to the fact Roberts has previously quite happily plugged away in the reserves when asked opposed to Tony Thorpe.

Saturday should give a good indication as King rarely starts players in the reserves midweek who are going to figure prominently at the weekend.

Roberts may come across as a bit of a twat but he’s not that bigger twat give him some credit.

I 8 Razor

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 14:15:35 »

roberts would be my second choice striker at the moment, he's been quality i think. I like the thought of robbo and fallon up there this term.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 14:23:03 »

My guess would be Thorpe, and the story of a "cold" being a cover-up story.  A mere "cold" rarely keeps players out of matches, particularly the Forest game which I imagine Thorpe had designs on starting after scoring a fantastic finish against Oldham (it really was pinpoint).

I think Roberts and Thorpe are favourites for this prima donna, but whoever it is I hope they're fined 2 weeks wages and that's the end of the matter, but we all know King holds grudges.  Roberts is fantastic when on song and did well against Forest at the weekend.  With Thorpe, Roberts, Fallon and Cureton all on side we have the best strikeforce in the division, potentially.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 14:56:29 »

"Christian Roberts has had a scan on his foot today and we are waiting to hear the results, although at the moment he is fourth choice striker behind Rory Fallon, Jamie Cureton and Tony Thorpe.

"He has a lot of work to do yet and although he had a purple patch when he first arrived, Christian Roberts has got to prove to me what he can do. He has indicated he doesn't want to play wide out on the right and he has a lot to show me yet," finished King.

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10341~694118,00.html
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 22:27:20 »

I still love him.  King should never have said to the press that "a player" didn't want to play for the reserves.  I don't think, and I sincerely hope, it's not Roberts as he is one of the best players in the squad.
DMR

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 23:02:27 »

it was me king can fuck off putting me in with those wasters
Piemonte

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, August 18, 2005, 11:17:26 »

Quote from: "Walrus"
I still love him.  King should never have said to the press that "a player" didn't want to play for the reserves.  I don't think, and I sincerely hope, it's not Roberts as he is one of the best players in the squad.

Roberts isnt one of the best players in the squad, although he has the potential to be
STFC Village

« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 11:50:35 »

http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/news_headlines_Story.asp?NewsID=4651

Not sure, but i think this story may blow the Thorpe theorists out of the water..... :?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 11:56:43 »

Quote from: "STFC Village"
http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/news_headlines_Story.asp?NewsID=4651

Not sure, but i think this story may blow the Thorpe theorists out of the water..... :?

I would say the opposite.....surely if Thorpe was more or less ready for Saturday...then a run out in the reserves on Tuesday would have been what he needed.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 12:06:28 »

I would agree with Reg, Thorpe coming out saying he doesn't mind splinters on his bum but he didn't mention grinding it out in the reserves.
STFC Village

« Reply #41 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 12:11:41 »

Surely, no first team football would mean an automatic place in the reserve team though?
Asher

« Reply #42 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 12:18:07 »

Just spoke to a mate whos a qpr fan, he said thorpedo (his name not mine) once kicked up a fuss for being substituted and gave a mouthful to the player coming on? Not sure if that helps
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 12:24:57 »

Just makes it even more likely that it wasn't Thorpe.
Asher

« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 19, 2005, 12:42:58 »

why?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: