Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28666 times)
WestYorksRed

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:18:46 »

Just got back from the Potteries to my slum dwelling, cracking result in atrocious conditions. Key difference in the first half was that Vale seized on their opportunities (few and far between), we didn't capitalise on our possession and take our chances. With the wind on our backs, first 25 mins of the 2nd half was one way traffic and Vale hardly got out of their half. Last 20 mins, we sat deeper, always a bit nervous watching us doing that, however Vale didn't really offer any threat other than a couple of half chances and, to be fair, we did a good job of closing out the game. Could have had more than 3, we hit the woodwork twice and created lots of other opportunities. Lots of fight shown, tracking back and harrying as well. We really had a go today, were the better footballing side and fantastic that it came off for once.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:46:40 »

Not had time to read through, will do later.

We were the better team throughout. Going in 2-0 down was a travesty - Vale had nothing. We were passing well in dreadful conditions, finding space, making good runs and creating chances. Sadly we didn't take them, and we gift wrapped two goals at the other end.

Second half justice was done. Great move for the first. Unbelievable strike for the second - I was convinced it was too far out. The third was a mess, but they all count and it did follow us hitting the woodwork twice. Vale's only other chance of note was a sitter at 2-2 - a free header from about 6 yards out.

Ranger and Smith held the ball up very well. Luongo and Thompson made great runs from the centre. Pritchard was involved in pretty much everything, occasionally wasteful, occasionally unstoppable. Also impressed with N Thompson and Byrne today.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:47:14 »

How did DNG play today? Thought he worked really hard once we were down to 10 at Peterborough. He's been included again today, I wonder if we'll still send him out on loan?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:50:38 »

Just to confirm after a quick bit of research, this is indeed the first time we've come back from 2 goals down away in a league game, to win, since doing so at Brum in 93 against Terry Cooper's side.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:53:45 »

That's a fascinating stat.  I wonder how many times it happens across all 4 divisions, on average, during the course of a season.  Are we that unusual in that we have gone so long since repeating the feat?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:59:33 »

That's a fascinating stat.  I wonder how many times it happens across all 4 divisions, on average, during the course of a season.  Are we that unusual in that we have gone so long since repeating the feat?

Firstly, it's relatively rare to score 3 or more goals away from home, even when you've a strong away form...also if you've strong away form, you tend not to go 2-0 down, so don't tend to need to make that comeback. So I'd hazard a guess it's relatively rare for most sides...might well be wrong in that, and don't think I want to do much research into it.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 19:59:45 »

Suicide
Apart from the fact as Venkman has pointed out the Brum game was more recent...
I take great satisfaction in saying that I went to both games. The Oxford one was great, as is any win against that lot, but the Brum game was the best I've ever seen from a Swindon team.....and all the more satisfying for me because I was living in Rugby at the time and it was always a pleasure to put one over a Midlands team.

What am I saying.......actually, it was, and always will be, better to stage a great comeback to humiliate the Oxford knuckle draggers......

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:02:19 »

:suicide:I take great satisfaction in saying that I went to both games. The Oxford one was great, as is any win against that lot, but the Brum game was the best I've ever seen from a Swindon team.....and all the more satisfying for me because I was living in Rugby at the time and it was always a pleasure to put one over a Midlands team.

What am I saying.......actually, it was, and always will be, better to stage a great comeback to humiliate the Oxford knuckle draggers......

The Brum knuckle draggers, were much scarier than the Oxford ones after those respective games.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:07:09 »

The Brum knuckle draggers, were much scarier than the Oxford ones after those respective games.

I remember Brum fans were fighting with each other in the stands. I don't think we encountered any trouble after the game.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:07:31 »

Not to me as I sped down the A38 giving it the wanker gesture to the Brum fans at the bus stops.......ironic as I think a certain Terry Cooper was manager of Brum that day.

Clems Army!
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:11:15 »

Firstly, it's relatively rare to score 3 or more goals away from home, even when you've a strong away form...also if you've strong away form, you tend not to go 2-0 down, so don't tend to need to make that comeback. So I'd hazard a guess it's relatively rare for most sides...might well be wrong in that, and don't think I want to do much research into it.

TheWashbag.com had us down as going onto win at home, when one up at half-time at 90% http://thewashbag.com/2014/01/22/how-important-is-the-half-time-result-to-mark-cooper/

I did see some Premier League stats for this which were similar, if not quite the same...
@giggs_boson: Scoring the first goal of the game at home gives the team a 71% chance of winning the game (Premier League, 2012).
@giggs_boson: Scoring the first goal of the game at home gives the team a 71% chance of winning the game (Premier League, 2012).

So any sort of comeback at all (to draw let alone to win) seems unusual.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:13:48 by A Gent Orange » Logged
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:13:02 »

I remember Brum fans were fighting with each other in the stands. I don't think we encountered any trouble after the game.

I remember Brum fans being up on some high wall we had to walk past and spitting at us.  That was about it.
Matt71

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:15:28 »

Great result today.Really think we will kick on next season.The midfield trio of Thompson Luango and kassim will be here and will become experienced campaigners add to the mix Smith ,N Thompson, Riess ,maybe Fods and maybe Ranger(we got the option of further year). Take benson,cox Navarro,Troy off the wage bill try and ditch Harley ,add a couple of  C/B and a left back and winger we may well be be up there.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:32:46 »

Except the brick going through a window of  a silverknight bus, also remember BCFC being scratched into the side of a town fan's car.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, February 8, 2014, 20:39:33 »

Except the brick going through a window of  a silverknight bus, also remember BCFC being scratched into the side of a town fan's car.

I was going to mention the brick but I thought it was at West Brom.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: