Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Shrewsbury Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 27457 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 21:43:00 »

To get relegated from where we are now, we would need to average ½ point/game between now and the end of the season.  To put that in perspective, that's half the tally of Sheffield United who are in the drop zone having averaged 1 point/game so far.  And the only team to have shown that kind of form over a whole season at our level (since 3 points/win was introduced) was Cambridge United who managed just 21 points in 1984/85.

We will not even come close to going down.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 22:00:49 »

To get relegated from where we are now, we would need to average ½ point/game between now and the end of the season.  To put that in perspective, that's half the tally of Sheffield United who are in the drop zone having averaged 1 point/game so far.  And the only team to have shown that kind of form over a whole season at our level (since 3 points/win was introduced) was Cambridge United who managed just 21 points in 1984/85.

We will not even come close to going down.

I totally agree Ardiles but don't tell Reg, he's enjoying himself.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 22:03:05 »

Dont get the negativity about playing the better sides at home.At Wolves,Brentford and Rotherham we outplayed them,Brentford at times and the other 2 throughout.I think its fair to say we play better against the so-called better sides generally speaking.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 22:26:25 »

Pitches will hopefully start getting better again soon, don't think it's a coincidence our performances have dropped with the heavier pitches. They don't favour our game.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 22:41:18 »

Dont get the negativity about playing the better sides at home.At Wolves,Brentford and Rotherham we outplayed them,Brentford at times and the other 2 throughout.I think its fair to say we play better against the so-called better sides generally speaking.

You mean like we did against Orient & Walsall at home Wink
Even Peterborough & Coventry where we won but didn't play that well.

Lets be honest, our league position reflects the fact that we have been able to beat all of the average/poor teams at home.

That said I do think we will have enough points to end up mid table by the end of the season, which considering the reduction in our playing budget would be a reasonable return
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 22:43:39 »

I'll reiterate my prediction from the Summer: mid-table & JPT winners (I'd settle for that and don't think I'll be far wrong).

#VivaKenBarlow!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 23:20:12 »

Pitches will hopefully start getting better again soon, don't think it's a coincidence our performances have dropped with the heavier pitches. They don't favour our game.

Fucking rainpocalypse(tm) hasn't helped.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 23:21:15 »

Someone else mentioned the free kick for their goal being soft, thought it was a crap decision and never a foul. Great strike from their bloke mind. Also sounded like a few in the Townend were booing Ward each time he got the ball after his cock up, didn't last long and don't expect anything less from some of the brain dead in there.
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #278 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 00:02:04 »

Ignoring the moment where he fell asleep and their bloke nicked the ball off him, I thought Ward looked quite solid defensively yesterday, but was let down by Branco and Reckords complete lack of positioning and awareness.
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #279 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 00:05:53 »

Fucking hell. What a depressing thread. If this is what's it's becoming after a win I dread to think what it would've looked liked had we lost.
How anyone can dismiss Smith's potential after seeing him once and in conditions that were fucking awful, is bizarre. Especially as he scored 2 goals, tracked back countless times and ran his nuts off. Nothing like giving a player a chance, is there? As for Reckord, he met his team mates yesterday just before the game! I would imagine it's a bit difficult to look like a unit at the back when one of you is a complete stranger.
Sure there are concerns, Ward looks ponderous both in mind and action and the constant ball back to him every fucking minute is frustrating. Branco is still learning and I believe he'll come good. More concern to me is our 'talented' midfield. how Pritchard escapes criticism baffles me. He's arguably the most skilled player on the ball but his decision making a lot of the time is shite; too many touches, too long holding the ball, too many dead end runs.
Not a great performance yesterday sure, but getting 3 points is name of the game and we did that.
Good post, agree with everything there.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Monday, January 27, 2014, 01:35:56 »

I think someone's mentioned it, but what with the CG being a wind tunnel anyway, the gusts at the match must have been approaching 60/70mph+ (if the wind was anything like elsewhere- I wasn't there so can't say). The Shrewsbury free kick would have beaten any keeper in those conditions, not because it was necessarily a good free kick, but even if you just tickle it you've got a ball approaching 100+mph. Any keeper is going to struggle with that.

Someone like Roberto Carlos would probably break the fucking sound barrier in conditions like yesterday.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: