Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Will Paolo ever manage in England again?  (Read 8381 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 17:47:51 »

i think my issue is that he asked for players and black and wray said yup (i agree that element is fine).
but i'd say there were more poop than success looking at the massive raft of players brought in

Surely that's a criticism of what he spent the money on, rather than causing us financial difficulties

Can't be too many managers that wouldn't spend what they were told they could.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 18:16:53 »

Surely that's a criticism of what he spent the money on, rather than causing us financial difficulties

Can't be too many managers that wouldn't spend what they were told they could.

anyone with a sense of realism (another flaw for PDC?) would know that you can't just sign every prick and nothing would happen if/when they turned out to be a turd

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 19:17:01 »

Loved Paolo when he was here but when as soon as the money man went he fucked off. For someone who preached so much about loyalty when he was here that was a smack in the chops!

Agree with you Paolo, and he never did get that tattoo!

#VivaKenBarlow!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 22:02:11 »

Great for us at the time after relegation, Prutton, Hart......

But...his ego is the size of a third world country...too big for us and our budget!

Clems Army!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 22:06:04 »

balanced comment but China, Russia and USA combined might have been more realistic?

Will balance the thread as a whole when I have a moment.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 22:35:43 »

I think PDC will get another job in English football at some point if he wants to. There is enough about him that will attract a club, especially one that needs rebuilding.

Let's not forget that he graduated top of the class from the Calcio coaching school in Italy (where Capello, Ancelotti etc graduated). there are positives such as his attention to detail (e.g telling which side of the goal to shoot because he had researched a keepers weaker side), tactical knowledge, the focus on training, fitness and leading a professional lifestyle and complete dedication to achieving the maximum from your ability (how many of the squad from the last 2 years have gone backwards after he left).

He needs to address his interaction with players and learning to resolve issues with players and improving their performance rather than just bombing them out of the club. Where he came unstuck was he ran before he could walk and jumped into the Premier League with all it's media attention. There were a stack of pundits waiting for him to fail and to say 'you can't criticise players in public (usually the ones who have never or failed as managers and keep coming up with the same old excuses for underperformance - we're unlucky, bad day at the office etc etc.

In hindsight, Di Canio could/should have stuck with us to the end of the season despite the change in ownership. At worse, he makes the playoffs and can walk away with a glorious failure citing the changes or takes us into the Championship and walks/stays.

I'm sure the Championship would be the right home as if he takes a club forward towards the playoffs then he get's the supporter goodwill especially if he reached the Premier League (look at the goodwill Nigel Adkins, Brian McDermott, Malky McKay have got for not doing very well in the PL but they took their clubs up. There are enough clubs desperate for a shot at the big time and enough money splashing around in parachute money to indulge his turnover of players.

Whether he proves a success will depend on him becoming more balanced and playing the game rather than trying to do all his way. He may end up another Roy Keane, who gives it a go for a couple of clubs, has some success but ultimately disallusioned with most modern players attitude. Will be fun, whatever happens!

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 23:10:58 »

Fuck me that's an essay

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 23:39:12 »

An essay yes in the sense that there was more substance and insight about it than the previous three and a half pages of this thread.

Just be careful you don't take over the 25% football quota, Oaksey
ampthill red

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 00:43:56 »

I was amazed he got the Sunderland gig. Passion is laudable but so is decency and a sense of fair play. He demanded total loyalty from players but dumped proper dedicated lads when they were surplus to his needs(Paul Benson...). Ardiles took over a team that hoofed the ball and turned them into a cultured passing joy. Di Canio only ever cared about himself and if I had my way he would be thrown in the same shitty pit of oblivion currently occupied by Ince and Macari.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 06:55:04 »

I was amazed he got the Sunderland gig. Passion is laudable but so is decency and a sense of fair play. He demanded total loyalty from players but dumped proper dedicated lads when they were surplus to his needs(Paul Benson...). Ardiles took over a team that hoofed the ball and turned them into a cultured passing joy. Di Canio only ever cared about himself and if I had my way he would be thrown in the same shitty pit of oblivion currently occupied by Ince and Macari.

Excuse me ??
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #55 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 09:54:13 »

Why would Macari be in there?
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 09:56:59 »

Whatever your personal opinion I think the manner in which he left us will prove a barrier to him getting future work.

Publically threatening legal action will not endear him to many chairman, Curbishley tried the same trick at West Ham and he's only just got back into the game 6 years later and only as an assistant.

And he, unlike Paolo, doesn't also come with enough baggage to bankrupt a billionaire checking onto a Ryan Air flight
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 09:58:36 by PetsWinPrizes » Logged
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 09:59:11 »

Also chairman don't like a reputation for spending - just look at Roy Keane's career and Ferguson's book making specific, bitter, comment about him needing cash to succeed.

Oh, and after Sunderland he looks even more of a tit/nutter/loon/bad manager than ever.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 10:05:04 by A Gent Orange » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #58 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 10:09:41 »

Why would Macari be in there?

And why not McMahon?
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 11:20:50 »

Whatever your personal opinion I think the manner in which he left us will prove a barrier to him getting future work.

Publically threatening legal action will not endear him to many chairman, Curbishley tried the same trick at West Ham and he's only just got back into the game 6 years later and only as an assistant.

And he, unlike Paolo, doesn't also come with enough baggage to bankrupt a billionaire checking onto a Ryan Air flight
That's odd. It didn't stop him getting the Sunderland job.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: