Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have one of these?  (Read 7768 times)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:22:17 »

Cheers. It was your help that put me onto these.

I have unlimited internet and speeds of 4.5mbs- ish
Obviously i'd go for one people recommend so link me the one you have please. Easy to use and set up?
Is jailbroken worthwhile?
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:24:36 by arriba » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:31:07 »

You're basically just paying for the hardware arriba. Don't waste your money.

XBMC is free. Plugins for sport/film/TV streaming are available here.
chunky monkey

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:31:23 »

Jailbroken really only applies to Apple TV boxes. The Android boxes are rooted, which means you have full access to the operating system. If you have an android phone you'll be used to the way they work.

Finding Sky streams on them can be very hit and miss, you'll find a lot that don't work, that said there is so much content doubt if you'll miss it

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:40:01 »

You're basically just paying for the hardware arriba. Don't waste your money.

XBMC is free. Plugins for sport/film/TV streaming are available here.

So I could have this on my pc? Any good? I'm clueless about it so an idiots guide please.

Jailbroken really only applies to Apple TV boxes. The Android boxes are rooted, which means you have full access to the operating system. If you have an android phone you'll be used to the way they work.

Finding Sky streams on them can be very hit and miss, you'll find a lot that don't work, that said there is so much content doubt if you'll miss it

Is it worth getting the box or getting the xbmc on my pc?
chunky monkey

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:41:16 »

Sam is of course right as I hinted at, however if you don't fancy connecting a laptop or pc to your TV and setting it up yourself then these tiny boxes are a godsend
chunky monkey

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:43:07 »

So I could have this on my pc? Any good? I'm clueless about it so an idiots guide please.

Is it worth getting the box or getting the xbmc on my pc?

Have a crack at it, start by downloading XBMC
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:45:09 »

Yes. XBMC is a piece of piss to install. The plugins are slightly more complex, but there's plenty of info available to help.
chunky monkey

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:45:53 »

This will get you up and running quickly

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/10/06/embrace-the-new-xbmc-hub-wizard-addon-released-october-2013/

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:45:55 »

Cheers. I'll give it a try. Want it for 3pm football, bt sport, pay per view boxing etc. I aint in a hurry to ditch my sky subscription, just want to get this as an add on really.
Thank you gentlemen.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 19:48:16 by arriba » Logged
chunky monkey

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 20:00:41 »

Cheers. I'll give it a try. Want it for 3pm football, bt sport, pay per view boxing etc. I aint in a hurry to ditch my sky subscription, just want to get this as an add on really.
Thank you gentlemen.

As I said Sky is a bit hit and miss, and the quality isn't that brilliant as it's streamed from the net, but believe me you could quite easily cancel any movie subs that you have. Can't believe more people aren't doing it tbh

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 21:01:11 »

Ive downloaded it and set up using the hub wizard link.
Alot of the stuff i click on doesn't work and i can't see any links to live sport or live tv. Any tips? Is my pc more susceptible to viruses now too?
chunky monkey

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 21:02:45 »

Ive downloaded it and set up using the hub wizard link.
Alot of the stuff i click on doesn't work and i can't see any links to live sport or live tv. Any tips? Is my pc more susceptible to viruses now too?

Mash Up is a good place to start. No its not more susceptible to viruses
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 21:07:28 by chunky monkey » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 21:10:27 »

Mash Up is a good place to start. No its not more susceptible to viruses

Cheers fella.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 13, 2014, 15:04:24 »

After playing with it for a while now i can say i think it's ace.
Not all links work but plenty do and if an idiot like me can work it,it must be good.
I think I will get a box as my pc is across the room from the tv(the hd movies are superb quality) Let me know which one you have chunky. thanks again to you and Sam.

Another question though if i may. Do i need to do anything to keep it working well on my pc, IE updates, etc ?
« Last Edit: Monday, January 13, 2014, 15:21:59 by arriba » Logged
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 13, 2014, 18:33:47 »

There are new releases of XBMC and plugins from time to time. They don't automatically update, so you'll need to do it manually. Generally you'll only need to update plugins if the old ones stop working.

If you are going to get a dedicated box, the all-in-one Android based ones run slightly differently to how you installed it on Windows so it may not be so straightforwards to load plugins etc.

The alternative would be to either buy a second hand PC to use as a media centre, or better yet build a dedicated machine that can handle all your media needs (music, film, TV, DVD, BluRay etc).

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: