Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mountford Manor  (Read 3707 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 15:57:29 »

Any of you history buffs have any idea who or what this school was named after...originally called Walcot East Primary.
Have looked for links or any info on the name let alone who decided to name it Mountford Manor.
I had guessed it something to do with the De Montford family in years gone by...have a feeling it could be something to do with Ye Olde Goddard estate or even something connected with the Oxford colleges who owned land in Swindon at one point.

Apologies for boring the pants of some of you but if you can find a direct link it would delight me Cheesy

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 17:54:35 »

Hmmm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:03:05 »

Twins?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:05:50 »

Any of you history buffs have any idea who or what this school was named after...originally called Walcot East Primary.
Have looked for links or any info on the name let alone who decided to name it Mountford Manor.
I had guessed it something to do with the De Montford family in years gone by...have a feeling it could be something to do with Ye Olde Goddard estate or even something connected with the Oxford colleges who owned land in Swindon at one point.

Apologies for boring the pants of some of you but if you can find a direct link it would delight me Cheesy

Good question Leefer...what you need to look at is Walcot, which was assessed at 3 1/4 hides in Domesday. Of these hides there were a variety of fees appertaining to sub tenants. The earliest in 1086, was Rainald of Milo Crispin, and the next recorded sub tenant Walter Croc, who held half a fee in 1210....

By 124, this half a fee was held by Simon de Montford de Esseleg'...next recorded in 1428 as being held by John Mountford of the Honour of Wallingford.

At the time this half fee consisted of a messsuage, 8 virgtes of land, 18 acres of meadow and 10 shillings rent...by 1523 Thomas Mountford granted this fee to Edmund Bishop of Salisbury, which enabled it to be called a manor. The Bishop applied the manor for the endowment of a chantry he'd founded in Hereford Cathedral, before he transferred to Sarum.

After the dissolution of chantries in 1550 it was granted to Richard Roberts of London, who promptly lost it through fine and recovery to Sir Willliam Sharyngton....his descendant Sherington Talbott was lord in 1640.

Hope this helps  Smiley
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:10:10 »

Cheers Reg,i suspected it was to do with the de Montford clan who had land all over(mostly Warwickshire and Leicestershire)

Love to know who had the idea of naming the school it though!
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:18:05 »

We had a De Montford University in Bedford up to 2006, then it merged with the university of Luton to become the university of Bedfordshire.

I have no idea why it was called De Montford before the merger though.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:24:22 »

Hi Bedford...there is also De Montford Hall a big concert venue in Leicester,,been there,

Where did you get that info Reg...Nat Archives online?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:28:04 »

Isn't De Montfort University the new(ish) name for Leicester Poly?  I had always associated the name with Leicester/Leicestershire for that reason.

Donkey will know.

Edit:  And Mauler.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:29:57 by Ardiles » Logged
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:31:58 »

I had never really thought about it. I started there in 1978 & left in 1985. Plus both my brothers went there before me.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:34:02 »

Isn't De Montfort University the new(ish) name for Leicester Poly?  I had always associated the name with Leicester/Leicestershire for that reason.

Donkey will know.

Edit:  And Mauler.

Tis true. And DMU had a campus in Bedford and somewhere else (Northampton?). All based in Leicester now, I think.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:40:55 »

Cheers Reg,i suspected it was to do with the de Montford clan who had land all over(mostly Warwickshire and Leicestershire)

Love to know who had the idea of naming the school it though!

I'm not sure this would be the same lot....your Leicestershire man was Simon de Montfort, famous for introducing a bit of democracy into the rule by kings....he got killed in a battle fighting forces loyal to  King Henry the third.

De Montfort and his successors, were proper big players....I suspect our Mountfords less so, after all Walcot, was a tuppenny- ha’penny place. Half an acre of sodden marshland.  Population: three rather mangy cows, a dachshund named Colin, and a small hen in its late forties.

It was probably named by some apparatchik in the Swindon Education Department, with an interest in local history, which up until the 70's held a surprising amount of power, as central government tended to keep their noses out of education, and there was a heritage of doing things locally. SED used to throw a fair whack at schools...of course in return they expected a big say over matters like staffing etc.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:49:41 »

As a former resident of Walcot i'd be interested to know about the history of the farm that is now the Jeremy Kyle type trollope's flats?
 There are also a couple of older houses the other side of Buckhurst field too, which look well over 100 years old.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 30, 2013, 19:00:47 by arriba » Logged
fatbasher

« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 18:56:15 »

During my time served under miss Sands the headmistress of said infants and Mr. Brookes of said juniors, I never knew that....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 19:18:33 »

As a former resident of Walcot i'd be interested to know about the history of the farm that is now the Jeremy Kyle type trollope's flats?
 There are also a couple of older houses the other side of Buckhurst field too, which look well over 100 years old.

http://swindonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/looking-down-on-walcot-in-1950s.html

May be something here for you Arriba....

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 30, 2013, 19:19:34 »

Cheers. I'll have a look
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: