Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UK Match Fixing  (Read 7221 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:12:37 »

We had this discussion over Le Tissier. It's all the same to me and they should all be punished the same. Le Tissier should have been banned from any involvement in football for life. Same should happen to the current offenders.

Its the same legal offence, I don't think there is any doubt about that. Defrauding bookmakers. And as such the punishments have to be the same really, I accept that now. Give an inch and they'l take a mile.

As a fan though, kicking the ball out from kickoff to me would be harmless in the course of a game. Whereas a sending off isn't.

Bit worrying it's players that are already on decent wages doing it now and you wonder how big the issue might be here.

Absolutely. That was my main point.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:20:44 »

We had this discussion over Le Tissier. It's all the same to me and they should all be punished the same. Le Tissier should have been banned from any involvement in football for life. Same should happen to the current offenders.

Bit worrying it's players that are already on decent wages doing it now and you wonder how big the issue might be here.
Agree on both points. Well put.
iffy

« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:08:58 »

By virtue of the amount of yellow cards we've got this season, statistically yes.

However, I really doubt anyone in our team will be involved in this.

If you assume that odds on something get better the rarer it is, there would be no price worth having for fixing for a town yellow card. We may yet be saved by the inability of our players to time a tackle.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:14:51 »

Its the same legal offence, I don't think there is any doubt about that. Defrauding bookmakers. And as such the punishments have to be the same really, I accept that now. Give an inch and they'l take a mile.

I'm still appalled over the Le Tissier thing. That he would do it in the first place, that he openly admitted it and didn't appreciate the seriousness of it and that he pretty much got away with it and everyone had a laugh over it.

It was an opportunity for the English game to take a stance and it didn't. If Le Tissier had been disowned it may have made some future offenders realise it just wasn't worth the risk, probably not, but maybe.

For me this is far worse than drugs in sport. It starts making you question what you are watching, whether the players are up to something or just plain fucking incompetent.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:34:14 »

Dj Campell Is the new Jimmy Saville, this is going to run and run, and mushroom for sure.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 14:05:00 »

As a fan though, kicking the ball out from kickoff to me would be harmless in the course of a game. Whereas a sending off isn't.

Absolutely. That was my main point.

Used to piss me off a treat in the andy king era. Everytime from kick off, rugby-esk toward the corner flag for a throwing. Some would say it helps the team settle straight away with who they are marking etc but never saw any other team do it.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 16:29:07 »

So what sort of punishment can they expect from this type of thing, just being banned from football or harsher punishment ?

I'm assuming as nothing was done to influence a result then clubs will be in the clear
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 16:55:01 »

Apparently DJ Campbell has made a statement -

'I'm 100% innocent and I am hoping to play in our draw at Millwall on Saturday'

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 16:59:36 »

Apparently DJ Campbell has made a statement -

'I'm 100% innocent and I am hoping to play in our draw at Millwall on Saturday'

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: