Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 50 inch tv  (Read 13513 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 19:36:18 »

Ive been to curry's twice to have a look. Trouble is they have the same shitty feed into all the TV's and frankly they all look pretty poor.Their staff although helpful aint that knowledgeable. I might try richer sounds in scumville.

Keep your advice and what you own coming. Owners ratings beat any advice in a shop

They give shitty feeds to the ones they aren't pushing. Richer sounds is a good idea (then but somewhere else, as they are normally dearer on TV's)  do good deals on amps though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 19:41:14 »

They give shitty feeds to the ones they aren't pushing. Richer sounds is a good idea (then but somewhere else, as they are normally dearer on TV's)  do good deals on amps though.

Also worth checking if JL still price match physical shops/bung in a free 5-year guarantee.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 22:22:42 »

Currently have a 60" samsung and sit approx 10 feet away looks massive but you soon get used to it and is immense for films... now on the verge of going to the 65" ultra HD
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 22:26:20 »

Anyone bought one recently they'd recommend?

I've moved my lounge around and can accommodate a big screen now.
I've searched online for a while and every tv has someone or other who slates it.
I favour a Panasonic as that's what i've got currently and its a superb tv for a 6 year old one, but even their new tv's get slated by some.
It will mainly be used for sky hd and blu rays. Football and golf coverage has to be flawless with no motion blurring. I aint buying one for the sake of it and don't want a shitter picture on a bigger screen. If its a step backwards i will stick with what i have.

One thing I would suggest is investing in decent receiver that does up scaling as anything other than HD at this size and above looks rough... The up scalers will help with this and give you decent surround sound
« Last Edit: Friday, December 6, 2013, 22:27:58 by @MacPhlea » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 22:29:01 »

Size doesn't seem to matter. Once you've finished knocking one out with your mates over how great it is, the novelty soon fades. I got a 46" a few years back, it seemed too big for about an hour, then I got more and more used to it and now it might as well be a 14".

I would definitely not get a plasma again though and would go for an LCD next time I need a new one.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 00:00:40 »

I have a 55" LED LG Smart 3D TV and it is the mutts nuts.  The only TV I would buy over this would be the Samsung which was quite obviously a better picture but £800 more which I couldn't justify.

Have hardly used the 3D because it gives me a headache, but didn't have a choice.  LED is better than LCD, LCD is better than Plasma IMO.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 00:10:28 »

LED is better than LCD, LCD is better than Plasma IMO.

I believe thats how its supposed to be.
Both mine are LED ( should really have put that in my orig post )
I think 3d is a novelty thing, when first got the tv used it quite a bit ( football is weird to watch but nature stuff is great ) but rarely use the 3d function now
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 07:20:14 »

I believe thats how its supposed to be.
Both mine are LED ( should really have put that in my orig post )
I think 3d is a novelty thing, when first got the tv used it quite a bit ( football is weird to watch but nature stuff is great ) but rarely use the 3d function now

LED and LCD are the same thing but with different forms of backlighting LCD used to be just standard fluorescent backlighting but LED is LCD but with LED back lighting that allows specific areas to the darkened by dimming individual lights - this is what has brought 'LED' TV up to the spec of plasma.  

Plasma normally gets a slating  by people who use it for gaming because it is liable to screen burn but if you don't play games on it (like me) and bed it in properly they produce an immensely better picture - however they weigh a ton and use a lot more energy (mine acts like a giant radiator on the wall!)

Overall I think the land has shifted toward LED and now, with ultra HD, plasma has had its day...
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 08:43:34 »

Which is a good source for unbiased reviews.  Their tests are really stringent and they highlight all the pros and cons of the models they test.  We bought our current 42 inch Panasonic based on the excellent reviews from there and our 32 inch Samsung.  Both of them have been spot on, although will be looking to upgrade the Panasonic soon.  I reckon we've had it about 6 years now.

I think you can get get free online subscription for a month, but remember to cancel it before they start charging you
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 08:49:39 »

I prefer my yonks old 42", not even full HD plasma to most LCD I've seen. The picture seems more 'natural' and the not being full hd doesn't really matter at my viewing distance of bout 6-8 feet.

Unfortunately they are a dying breed, I think even Panasonic have  pulled out the plasma market.

Shame OLED isn't at affordable prices yet. It'll get there.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 08:53:24 »

This thread makes me feel quite inadequate with my 37" Samsung.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 09:14:08 »

This thread makes me feel quite inadequate with my 37" Samsung.

Sam be like all

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 16:23:16 »

Thanks for all the input folks but i've decided to stick with my 32 inch panny for now. Had another look today and i aint sacrificing picture quality just to have a bigger screen.
Nothing at all jumps out and says buy me unless i want to fork out thousands which aint gonna happen.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 16:26:01 by arriba » Logged
Barry Scott

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 16:51:51 »

Thanks for all the input folks but i've decided to stick with my 32 inch panny for now. Had another look today and i aint sacrificing picture quality just to have a bigger screen.
Nothing at all jumps out and says buy me unless i want to fork out thousands which aint gonna happen.

The other option is buy second hand, or refurb'd off eBay.

When I got mine I got a great deal on a returned Panasonic for about £150 less than the model down, new in Comet. It's still going strong. Although I do have a degree of hate for the fear I have in one day managing to get screen burn! Smiley
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, December 7, 2013, 20:51:10 »

Just spent 1200 on a 42 inch Samsung 3DSmart Tv. Love it

Jump to: