Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mandela Dead  (Read 9725 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 09:03:26 »

Ghandi achieved more without any bloodshed.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 09:23:28 »

Ghandi achieved more without any bloodshed.
Not directly no. But Mandela's great achievement was that South Africa transitioned relatively peacefully to the post-apartheid era when many predicted a vicious civil war. Whereas Gandhi's legacy was brutal sectarian strife which saw a subcontinent riven by a civil conflict that claimed the lives of half a million. Gandhi may have personally eschewed violence but the events he set in train caused massive bloodshed. Which is not a criticism of Gandhi, just pointing the direct comparison is a little flawed
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #32 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 09:38:01 »

What ever happened to Charlie Dimmock?

It's All Good..............
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 09:40:33 »

Not directly no. But Mandela's great achievement was that South Africa transitioned relatively peacefully to the post-apartheid era when many predicted a vicious civil war. Whereas Gandhi's legacy was brutal sectarian strife which saw a subcontinent riven by a civil conflict that claimed the lives of half a million. Gandhi may have personally eschewed violence but the events he set in train caused massive bloodshed. Which is not a criticism of Gandhi, just pointing the direct comparison is a little flawed

Very well put. 

I'm waiting for Fidel Castro to be officially gone next...for an interesting historical reflection.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 10:21:17 »

We get inappropriate, self-obsessed cathartic, he was a hero, blah blah deaths quite often. I don't think this is one of those times.

One of the most important people of the 20th century. Not a perfect man, but his legacy is good. People get called heroes, but I don't think you can be a hero without a struggle. Don't forget that he was in his 70's when he bought an end to apartheid. This is a man who spent the vast majority of his life in a struggle.

Don't rise to EDL twats like Crispy.

On a more amusing note, I always enjoyed the quite bewildering visit from Charlie Dimmock and the Ground Force team. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/565013.stm

There won't be many people with such a footprint on the world to die in any of our lifetimes. RIP.

Blimey, I agree with a serious Ben post...  What is the world coming to.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 10:23:00 »

Blimey, I agree with a serious Ben post...  What is the world coming to.

This x2.

Good Post Ben.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 10:25:34 »

Guaranteed an Oscar for Idris Elba
Maybe for Luther  Hmmm

RIP Nelson

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #37 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 10:29:29 »

What ever happened to Charlie Dimmock?
She recently had a cameo role as herself on the sky show 'The cafe'. She's a big girl now.
She seemed to disappear for a few years after her mum was killed by the tsunami 
« Last Edit: Friday, December 6, 2013, 11:13:35 by arriba » Logged
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 11:12:37 »

We get inappropriate, self-obsessed cathartic, he was a hero, blah blah deaths quite often. I don't think this is one of those times.

One of the most important people of the 20th century. Not a perfect man, but his legacy is good. People get called heroes, but I don't think you can be a hero without a struggle. Don't forget that he was in his 70's when he bought an end to apartheid. This is a man who spent the vast majority of his life in a struggle.

Don't rise to EDL twats like Crispy.

On a more amusing note, I always enjoyed the quite bewildering visit from Charlie Dimmock and the Ground Force team. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/565013.stm

There won't be many people with such a footprint on the world to die in any of our lifetimes. RIP.

:gay: Fishing.

Straight from a discussion on Facebook ... 'Like I said, what he has done post prison is good, really good. But to ignore what he did before hand because of the good he's since done is nothing less than the ignorance you're accusing me of.'

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 11:18:14 »

:gay: Fishing.

Straight from a discussion on Facebook ... 'Like I said, what he has done post prison is good, really good. But to ignore what he did before hand because of the good he's since done is nothing less than the ignorance you're accusing me of.'

It's easy to criticise when you don't live in an authoritarian society prone to using force and you don't have democratic rights to change that society or that government.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 11:32:46 »

It's easy to criticise when you don't live in an authoritarian society prone to using force and you don't have democratic rights to change that society or that government.
Quite true.. and to say "prone to using force" is putting it mildy.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 13:27:14 »

My Mrs has rellies in SA. I get the impression that they have great repect for the man and what he has done.

I also have great respect for the man and his legacy. The quote used above "One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" is very apt. Mandela strove for a peaceful solution and as I understand it, pushed for the ANC to not use violence. This was met by the Government forces visiting indiscriminate violence on the black and coloured population. As a result Mandela asked the question- "Why strive for peace when the other side uses violence".

A just question.

I think the current white South Africa feared Mandelas death as some feel it was his living that kept the lid on things. They didn't want to sully his memory while he was alive. Zuma now needs to step up and keep things under control.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 14:16:03 »

hope this doesn't hit the wrong note, but this not a day to have the radio on in the background, (R5 live). No one (bar Crispy) is any doubt about the greatness of this man, and the gravity of this news, but 7 hrs of the the same thing over and over again does not make for stimulating listening.
God help us when the Queen dies...
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 14:25:16 »

hope this doesn't hit the wrong note, but this not a day to have the radio on in the background, (R5 live). No one (bar Crispy) is any doubt about the greatness of this man, and the gravity of this news, but 7 hrs of the the same thing over and over again does not make for stimulating listening.
God help us when the Queen dies...

couldn't agree more

The Glasgow Helicopter coverage was worse over night last week,constant replaying of interviews and goulish questioning

/
W56196272
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, December 6, 2013, 14:46:16 »

Saw a little bit of it on sky this morning.  Got pissed off when they felt they had to report about the way the story came through to them.  Is that news?  Or was I just grumpy after finding out the cricet score.  RIP and all that.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: