Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Andrew Black  (Read 57460 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #45 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:54:22 »

Quite sure the account is genuine folks, the email address adds up.

Hello Jezza.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:54:53 »

never considered it a dig, derby.  The truth is, many numbers have been exaggerated.  When I took over as Chairman, you may remember I insisted on the word "interim" for a long time.  That was because the club was at serious financial risk again.  Sir Martyn Arbib had been an incredibly generous benefactor, but did not wish to put any more money in and Andrew Fitton and I were not in a position to.  Andrew stepped down for two main reasons...obviously relegation had hit him hard, but also we had failed to hit his breakeven target and if Andrew Black was to be persuaded to carry on funding, AF felt there was more chance that he would continue to do so with me in charge (AF and AB did not have a good relationship for reasons that are irrelevant here).  So I said I would take over on an "interim" basis until financing had been secured.  ( I wasn't prepared to take the helm of the Titanic just before the iceberg !).  So when AB agreed to fund, he  saved the club singlehanded, for which all Swindon fans should be grateful.

Indeed I am, as well as most of my family!!
jeremywray

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:58:18 »

What people do not know, is that ultimately PdC was AB's choice.  Nick Watkins and I submitted two plans to the Board....under option one, the austerity budget, we had a manager lined up who would work with a player budget of £1.5m.  This, in our opinion, would maintain League 2 status with little realistic hope of promotion.  We estimated that crowds would drop to around the level before we took over and therefore circa £500k of funding would be needed each year.  The second option, which both Nick and I supported, was an expansionary 3 year plan with di canio in charge.  Target Championship within 3 years, allow £2m to get out of L2, then provide for 2 bites to get out of L1 at £4m per year.  AB heard both views and said for him the only way forward was the di Canio route, which he would support.  On that basis, I dropped the word "interim".
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #48 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:59:08 »

Yes, Jezza. What Black did was quite amazing, particularly considering he doesn't like football much, if at all. Most of us recognize that he kept us afloat.  The timing of his baling-out was unfortunate but understandable now that the figures have been made public.
jeremywray

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:02:24 »

Cool with Jezza.....are you the fan I chatted to at Hammersmith tube on monday, Jan ?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:02:50 »

Whats your opinion on the new lot?
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:04:21 »

JW, Do you think PDC constand moaning in the press aboutlack of fund was one of the reasons why AB decided to pull the plug, and in the grand scheme of everything, what did Patey actually do? Was he brought in as a hatchet man to get rid of PDC?
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #52 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:04:41 »

Whats your opinion on the new lot?

I already asked.  
tans

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:06:01 »

I already asked. 

Alright alright
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:06:31 »

Has anyone asked JW his opinion on the new lot?
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:06:40 »

Cool with Jezza.....are you the fan I chatted to at Hammersmith tube on monday, Jan ?

Haha – No, that wasn’t me, but it was a good mate, hence the question about what you were doing on Monday.  You most certainly are JW.  

He was very complementary by the way and said it was an interesting and honest chat.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #56 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:08:40 »

Has anyone asked JW his opinion on the new lot?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:09:10 »

Haha – No, that wasn’t me, but it was a good mate, hence the question about what you were doing on Monday.  You most certainly are JW.  

Blimey...and he doesn't use capitals for his name...prob wants to get down with the kids.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:09:40 »

Oh and Jeremy, what was the story with Leon Knight?
jeremywray

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 16:15:10 »

derby, Patey was brought in to find a buyer for the club.  AB had made it clear some months before that he wanted new investors to share the financial burden with him and felt I had not progressed this sufficiently, which I accept.  Paolo was going to walk when I stepped down but both Patey and AB assured him personally that funding would stay in place as agreed (if we were top six at Xmas, £500k was to be made available in Jan to secure promotion at first attempt).  He walked when this agreement was reneged on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: