Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: asda walmart, night shifts..  (Read 6841 times)
flammableBen

« on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 01:50:50 »

Got a job there.. Had my big welcome training day or whatever it's called today. Working 4 night shifts a week sat, sun, mon, tue. Can't argue with £7.75/hour

Anybody else work there? Thing is had all the basic training everyone gets today between 8am and 5pm, but working tommorow 10.30pm - 6.30am(mon). So I decided my best bet was to stay awake as long as I can tonight so when I eventually get a decent nights sleep I wake up nearer the start of my shift hence making it more natural hours.

Anybody got any tips for working nightshifts (mr. yoevil R?). I tend to be nocturnal anyway so it shouldn't be a problem sleeping wise aslong as I manage to keep my self going tonight.

But what do you find with eating and how much you can drink pre-shift etc.? I'm sure I'll work it all out for myself in the end but I'm interested in what you all think. (and I keep not posting on here. think I need to get in the habbit again.)
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 01:53:13 »

Ive been doing nights for a year now and im not used to it.The only tip I can give you is drink alot on your days off. :|

/
W56196272
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 01:58:03 »

I eat a some toast when I get in and warm milk.Stay awake a couple of hours then sleep until about 2.Then I eat my main meal and take a couple of sandwiches or something for  supper that I eat around midnight.But I work 6pm to 6am so have less down time.

/
W56196272
flammableBen

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 02:09:27 »

I'm 10.30pm - 6.30 so I'll move all your advice forward 4 hours(ish). (as I'm working 4 hours less)

I quite often end up staying awake 24 hours anyway and my sleep patterns vary depending on my mood etc. So I think I shouldn't have to much problem adapting to it.

Tommorow is the biggest problem as I've got to suddenly go from getting up at 6.30am today to working from 10.30pm tommorow. hence while I'll be talking bollocks on here all night as my best bet is to sleep as late as possible.

So you eat before you go on your shift YR and you have a meal halfway through. I think thats gonna be the difficult thing for me, not neccasarily the sleeping but when I'm supposed to eat.

What do you do on your days off? just drink through all the tiredness?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 02:23:34 »

I sleep loads to be honest.I feel tired nearly all the time.

/
W56196272
flammableBen

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 02:32:36 »

Sure I'll work myself out. just looking forward to pay day. havn't had that much money for ages. might even be able to afford to go to a few wednesday swindon games again. I havn't seen town play for ages. I miss it loads.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 07:28:44 »

I used to work a similar night shift to you. I used to get up at normal time and try to get my head down for a couple of hours at 6pm. Personally I used to keep my eating pattern the same. Breakfast at breakfast time, lunch at lunch etc. I used to try not to eat at night unless I didn't have any tea. When I got home I used to have breakfast then hit the sack.I'd then get up at lunchtime, busy myself and hit the sack at 6pm again.

Probably not much help as you'll find that everyone has a different way of coping. There is no right and wrong method.

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nils

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 08:24:04 »

I work 12pm til 8am on a farm driving a tractor, this requires high concentration. I used to eat at around 8pm. A proper main meal. And then at around 4am I used to have my sandwiches etc and my flask of tea. Where I work they used to give me breakfast and porridge used to send me to sleep and so when I got home I go straight to bed and get up in time for Neighbours.

By the way this is only seasonal so I don't have to do it all the time. (only around 2 months a year in 2 week blocks) Also weather permitting so I didn't have to work last night. Which is good cos I am going to a funeral today.
Spud

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 14, 2005, 16:01:15 »

Ive been doing nights for nearly 5 years now, at first it was hard and believe me you get serious mood swings. :evil:  :|
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 15, 2005, 01:37:34 »

Quote from: "Spuddy_STFC"
believe me you get serious mood swings. :evil:  :|

haha yea, tell my sister that! Tongue

been doing nights for 8months now, its shite.

i get in bout 6am, bed at 7ish, sleep till 2ish, then up right the way thru till 7am the next day. also try to keep weekends roughly the same, but up at 11/12ish so you still get the best part of the day concious!

Spud

« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 15, 2005, 01:40:39 »

Quote from: "Leggett"
Quote from: "Spuddy_STFC"
believe me you get serious mood swings. :evil:  :|

haha yea, tell my sister that! Tongue

been doing nights for 8months now, its shite.

i get in bout 6am, bed at 7ish, sleep till 2ish, then up right the way thru till 7am the next day. also try to keep weekends roughly the same, but up at 11/12ish so you still get the best part of the day concious!

Hence why im still on here at 3am at the weekend.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 15, 2005, 01:50:37 »

ditto

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 15, 2005, 01:51:56 »

Fuck staying up till 3am if im not at work.

/
W56196272
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 15, 2005, 07:16:08 »

Been working long night shifts (14 hours) for 9 years, your body does adjust to it but as Spuddy says be prepared for some serious mood swings!

I recommend sleeping as late as you can before your first night, eating a main meal about 8-9 ish and then keeping going by snacking through the night (most people recommend bananas, I prefer haribo Sourmix!)

Make sure you own some earplugs, and some thick curtains or one of those eyemasks that the airlines give you. I always used to find that having a drink when I got in helped me off to sleep during the day, bizarrely Baileys was the best tipple.

Good luck!
Spud

« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 15, 2005, 12:28:42 »

I dont eat much at work, 2 bowls of cereal at lunchtime(1:15am) and thats it for me, on the other hand some fat cunts have 2 dinners, one at home and one at work. :-))(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: