Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread 2013/14 - The Ashes Down Under  (Read 108420 times)
kerry red

« Reply #315 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 18:38:08 »

On a separate note, I think England has shown itself a little weak mentally and have indeed been to ready to see themselves as world beaters for winning the Ashes against an Australian team in transition. 

A dedicated team would not see winning the Ashes as bigger than India or South Africa (regardless of the special Ashes atmosphere) and for me the Nasser Hussain legacy and some talented individuals have contributed more to England's success than the likes of Strauss or Cook or even Vaughan as captains.

If anyone has dipped into South Africa against India they will have seen a fantastic test match with South Africa just 8 runs short of a record winning total in a second innings

Of course The Ashes is the pinnacle for both us and the Aussies.

Yeah, I enjoy Tests against all the cricketing nations - but The Ashes is different altogether.

And how you can think England are not dedicated when we won 3 Ashes series in a row (prior to this one).

Continuous England Test matches is taking its toll on the players and there is far too much cricket played when you throw in all the limited overs games.

We will come again!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Monday, December 23, 2013, 23:07:02 »

I think you're right about the volume of matches.

Having said that it seems a long gap till boxing day.  Can't wait to get back at 'em.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 16:46:31 »

Bairstow, Rankin and Panesar rumoured to be playing tonight. Bairstow taking the gloves. Not sure I'm comfortable with that but perhaps his keeping has been coming on while England have been taking him around the world to carry drinks.
kerry red

« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 17:46:10 »

I'm a bi hammered already - so fuck them a.l
DMR

« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 19:08:51 »

Don't mind about Bairstow - he's dump but so is Prior - but Boyd Rankin is fucking shit!
chunky monkey

« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 19:22:22 »

Is this shit still going on?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 20:41:09 »

Don't mind about Bairstow - he's dump but so is Prior - but Boyd Rankin is fucking shit!

Trescothick said he was the best quick in County Cricket and he's a decent judge, and he's done alright in the one day stuff. Not like any of our other bowlers are pulling up trees bar Broad who's 50:50 to play so give him a go.

Plus it might get Bresnan out of the team and you don't like him much either.
DMR

« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 20:46:39 »

Which means Tresco has ignored Onions, which means he's wrong.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 21:05:22 »

Which means Tresco has ignored Onions, which means he's wrong.

In fairness I think the quote was from when Onions hadn't played for two years as his back essentially had to be surgically rebuilt. I'd agree that Onions should be on this tour though.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 23:33:50 »

Happy enough with the changes - I like Bairstow and he deserves a go - he can't be much worse than what Prior's current form is so fair play! Please, please, please Santa as an extra pressie...can we win this one?!?!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, December 25, 2013, 23:33:55 »

Bairstow cant be any worse than Prior. England need to give him a go for a few games and see if he is up to it and if not look to someone else in the summer.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 01:11:42 »

67-1 at present, Carberry looking alright and Root is hanging in there although Siddle is giving him problems. Bit of grit being shown which is progress
DMR

« Reply #327 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 01:30:12 »

Don't rate Carbs at all I'm afraid.

Grinding away admirably as he has done all series - but that's the problem. It looks like it takes absolutely everything he's got to muster up 40 or 50. Not quite enough class
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 01:51:28 »

I like Carbs, he's having a good series compared to a lot of our batsmen...needs a big score though!

Happy enough at lunch, will watch the next session and hopefully not too many will fall (Root looks very scratchy - needs a few boundaries and he'll be away)

Ryan Harris bowling really well - could have easily been one of the leading wicket takers in the world had it not been for injuries/wrong side of 30.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 09:40:56 »

One of our number, Frigby Daser, was at the MCG today.  'Buzzing' would be a fair description of the messages that were coming through.  And a crowd of 91,000 for day 1 of a cricket match...you have to be impressed with that, don't you?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: