Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread 2013/14 - The Ashes Down Under  (Read 104702 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 19:50:51 »

But nobody knows what effect KP'S being in the side has n the others.

Obviously something was majorly wrong with the squad in Oz.

One bad apple and all that.

We've seen at first hand how lack of togetherness can affect a team

With KP, Trott and Swann gone I fear we're about to see how a lack of fucking talent can affect a team
kerry red

« Reply #511 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 19:53:34 »

The Aussies managed to turn round a squad that regulalry got dicked to an Ashes winners fairly quickly or was that solely down to England's shitness
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 19:56:29 »

The Aussies managed to turn round a squad that regulalry got dicked to an Ashes winners fairly quickly or was that solely down to England's shitness

We'll find that out soon when they're in South Africa..
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 20:02:24 »

Considering he is South African, I'm surprised it's taken the ecb this long to get him of out the side.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2014, 21:16:40 »

But nobody knows what effect KP'S being in the side has n the others.

Obviously something was majorly wrong with the squad in Oz.

One bad apple and all that.

We've seen at first hand how lack of togetherness can affect a team
There may be stuff we don't know about that went on in Aus so my opinion may be premature.

My take is that KPs England career has coincided with an unparalleled era of success and arguably more so than almost any other England player.

A new "Team Ethic"?

How about a "winning ethic" to the spineless mediocrity that were and remain Whitaker, Downton and Giles? 

Even if waning, KP has the talent, and if some less talented players want to be part of a weaker team so that there is a nicey, nicey dressing room, then THEY should be weeded out.  Cricket and batting in particular has always had its selfish, non-team players.  No one says you have to like them. 

This should have been the new team manager's call who I hope would be man enough to make his own decisions.

Look at Busby and Best or Ferguson and Cantona.  They "managed" extreme talent for the good of the team and the success of the club. 
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 16:52:27 »

This, for me, is all reminiscent of David Gower. A phenomenal batsman on his day. Total uproar when he was 'retired' by England. But it enabled the emergence of players like Thorpe.

Everyone has their time. The ECB thinks KPs time is over. Remember the good time and move on.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
kerry red

« Reply #516 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 18:03:37 »

It's not just KP though, is it? Almost to a man England's batsmen have struggled for ages now - only to be dug out of a hole by the bowlers ( until now) .

When a test side can't go beyond 400 in an innings for what seems like an age it is obvious where the blame lies.

And is cricket the only sport where the captain can be absolute gash and yet is still guaranteed his place.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Friday, February 7, 2014, 15:20:41 »

Entertaining twist, Peter Moores apparently is getting the England job (all three formats).

You might remember him getting the boot the last time we sacked KP, who didn't like his methods much either.

The plot doesn't so much thicken as congeal.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Friday, February 7, 2014, 19:28:50 »

Entertaining twist, Peter Moores apparently is getting the England job (all three formats).

You might remember him getting the boot the last time we sacked KP, who didn't like his methods much either.

The plot doesn't so much thicken as congeal.
I don't think that's 'quite' hows its being reported. Seems paper talk about potential candidates. Moores would be a much better candidate, imho, that the King of Spain.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 21:44:31 »

You have to say that today's debacle in Antigua had a certain panache, a model in how to lose a game from a seeming position if invincibility...we've got this down to a fine art.
DMR

« Reply #520 on: Friday, February 28, 2014, 22:03:58 »

Would have pissed that with KP at 3 or 4.

Well done England.

Sir Pissalot

« Reply #521 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 14:25:11 »

It's going well again.....
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #522 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 16:51:53 »

As I was saying....... Yes
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 17:05:37 »

This is tense. Ravi's taken 8 off 2 from Malinga.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 17:12:50 »

Standing ovation for Hales in the office.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: