Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another new laptop thread  (Read 12170 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 10:03:59 »

Looking at getting my mrs a laptop for Christmas, was going to go down the Apple route, but are they value for money at £900 when you can get a Sony (Vaio Fit 15 E SVF1521A1EW.CEK 15”) for £350.

She'd only use it for coursework a bit on line, shopping, facebook etc and probably do some stuff with photos.
Barry Scott

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 12:08:47 »

Depends what way you look at it. The OS, in my opinion, is infinitely better, although not immediately to anyone used to Windows.

The main benefit though, which certainly justifies the price, is the durability. The build is unmatched by anything on the market. (The service is also pretty special, should you require it.)

My current one is only 2.5 years old, but it's like new. The keyboard doesn't flex, the mousepad still works, the screen is still uniform and crisp, the battery still lasts 6 hours. It also still fetches around £900 on eBay, as they hold their price really well.

It has never been reformatted, tweaked or fiddled with. You open the box, you turn it on and it'll remain the same, within reason, until such time as you sell it.

Also, if you get a backup drive, then the security offered by the built in backup app (Time Machine) is superb.

But, for balances sake, and before those people who've never used a Mac and love Windows chime in, no it's not value for money if that's all she's going to do. If she was involved in any kind of coding, design or development then it'd be a no brainer, but for just doing basic stuff, it's only good value if you expect to keep it for a long period.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 15:24:48 »

What Barry said.

Build quality is immense, nothing even close to it that I've seen. Mine is 3 years old, few scratches but otherwise it's pretty much the same as the day I bought it. Most other brands of laptops are falling to pieces after that amount of time.

The bundled software is pretty good as well, far better than what you get with Windows.

Add on the high resale value and over a 3 year period there isn't much, if any, of a price difference.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 15:28:10 »

Apple sucks
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 17:04:10 »

and probably do some stuff with photos.

nice - are you going to share them?
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 18:41:07 »

I have converted about half a dozen people (mostly OAPs) from Windows to apple and everyone one of them has said they wished they switched sooner... Price was always a factor for them so bought them second hand units... some pretty decent deals out there, pcked up a 6 month old iMac 27inch with 16gb ram in perfect condition for £1200...)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 18:54:42 »

iPad Air .... Whats the deal? Any good?

Seem to vary wildly in terms of price so any recommendations?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 22:15:34 »

If you want pictures of my kids then errrr...

Anyway thanks for all the information, plenty to think about.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, December 8, 2013, 22:22:57 »

Why so expensive?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:22:55 »

scillyred

« Reply #40 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:15:28 »

I have converted about half a dozen people (mostly OAPs) from Windows to apple and everyone one of them has said they wished they switched sooner... Price was always a factor for them so bought them second hand units... some pretty decent deals out there, pcked up a 6 month old iMac 27inch with 16gb ram in perfect condition for £1200...)

I have just seen the light and changed - thank god  Pint

Also soon to be an OAP  Suicide

DRS

« Reply #41 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:31:05 »

400 is a good budget, will have a look whats around.
Well this didn't happen did it
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:22:27 »

The wife is looking at getting a laptop for around £400, but I find the whole thing very confusing, so I'll start with one question, but may come back with another 20 or so.  What processor should I be hoping to get for that, and is intel better AMD??

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:24:30 »

The wife is looking at getting a laptop for around £400, but I find the whole thing very confusing, so I'll start with one question, but may come back with another 20 or so.  What processor should I be hoping to get for that, and is intel better AMD??

Most would argue there is not much different between the two but i prefer intel
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 20:33:54 »

Intel used to be miles better than amd, and although Intel is still better it's not considerable as it was.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: