Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 37433 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 23:00:03 »

The Opponent: Wolverhampton Wanderers

I must admit, when the draw was made for the fixtures this season, way back before Topcat realised Bristol City had a forum of their own, this was one of the first ones that I looked out for.  It is a big ground for a big football club, who were one of the original 12 founder members of the football league. Now many on here will only ever remember Wolves in recent years being something of a stable Championship team with the occasional flirtation with the promised land of The Premier League. But now, like many big fish before them, such as Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Forest and others, they find themselves in the 3rd tier of English football. Incredibly, way back in the 1950’s, Wolves managed to win the then League 1 title 3 times and 2 FA Cups thrown in for good measure. Personally its another one for me to tick off the lists of grounds to go to having missed the League Cup encounter a few years back.

The City of Wolverhampton is slightly larger than Swindon and is currently the home to around 250’000 Wulfrunians, some of the notable folk that have been associated with Wolverhampton include Rusty Lee’s sister, Tessa Sanderson,  Actor and comedian Eric Idle, Bank of England boff Mervyn King, Politician Enoch Powell,  Dexy’s Midnight Runners front man Kevin Rowland and WWE grappler William Regal, a poor man’s British Bulldog. Not the most common of football kit colours, the gold and black colours of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC originate from the city's motto 'Out of darkness cometh light', with gold and black representing light and dark. One of the 3 towns and cities that Wolverhampton have twinned themselves with is none other than Ulaanbaatar, the capital city of Mongolia, which itself has its list of notable residents, including Asashoryu, Hakuho, Mungonzazal Janshindulam, Sanjaasurengiin Zorig, Nambaryn Enkhbayar and famous Yak slayer, Harumafuji Kōhei Smith.

The last time we met at – Molineux –  Despite holding Wolves to a goal less draw in normal time, we lost 6-5 on penalties back in 2009. This will be the first time we have met them in the league for 13 years.

They’ve served for us  both – Ernie Hunt, Miles Storey, Andy Mutch, Peter Eastoe, Frank Talia, Glenn Hoddle,  George Ndah, Paul Ince and Jake Jervis.

Where the opposition gather – 

http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?22746-Wolves-vs-Swindon-Build-up-thread

Last 6 – LDWWW – Wolves are currently 2nd in league 1 on 13 points.

The Odds – Wolves 5/6    Draw 5/2    Swindon 10/3.  Nile Ranger is looking sharp in front of goal and is 8/1 to score the first goal with most places. The home side have some 5 players at shorter odds to score first than Ranger, much like QPR did a few weeks back.

The Son Says –  He is excited for this one, nearly as much as me. He gave me his prediction earlier today as I was digging out my 5th ton of stone and soil in Croft Road and despite the rain, he made a bold prediction of 2-0 to The Town.

The Prediction – Wolves have scored a fair few in the last 4 games (all of which they have won), and have conceded very few so this could be a tough encounter. If we play some of the football we are capable of playing for sustained periods there should be nobody in this league that we fear, Wolves included. 2-1 Town, 19’223 in attendance with 1601 loud away supporters.

And Finally –  The surrounding area near Wolverhampton became known as 'the Black Country' when, during heavy industrialisation of the area in the late 19th century, pollution covered the area in black soot and left the soil black.

COYR COYR COYR
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 23:08:49 »

2-0 to Wolves
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 23:12:12 »

I've got a good feeling about this.  2-1 Swindon COYR
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 23:15:18 »

Initially went for a wolves 2.1 but have now settled on a 2 all draw
Ranger and Luongo for town
1568 town fans
19502 overall attendees

Not been to Molineux in ages so looking forward to this
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 23:26:59 »

I'm going for 2-2 draw, ranger scoring both, att: 17,452 with 1672 vocal Town supporters
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 23:42:55 »

1-1 and no trouble (for TC's memoirs)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 01:27:31 »

Draw....we draw away and win at home and my obvious and first choice manager will take us up!

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 06:33:04 »

Can't see us getting anything there today, a 3-0 defeat with 20,015 crowd with 1,523 Swindon fans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 06:45:54 »

My 'feel it in my water' prediction is a 2-1 defeat with two late Wolves goals.

However, I've never yet predicted a defeat and I'm not going to start now so my official TEF prediction is...

2-0 Ranger, Ajose.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 06:46:27 »

2-1 defeat.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 07:15:15 »

Not expecting anything today - a bit like the QPR match and we all know how that  turned out.  Jackett's teams tend to be on the physical side so it will be interesting to see how we cope.

Langers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 07:32:53 »

Looking forward to this. Would be very happy with a draw. COYR.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 07:52:56 »

I reckon we'll win it at the death 3-2  Cheesy
Dozno9

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 08:01:45 »

I shall be there today to witness a legendary game in which we will win 3-1. Red card for them I reckon.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 09:21:05 »

Difficult game this....have to be happy with a draw but feeling is a home win by a couple of goals.  Sad

Bathtime
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: