Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: swindon-town-fc.co.uk  (Read 9322 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:00:04 »

Wouldn't it make sense for the most popular and well known Swindon Town forum to join forces with the most accurate and complete Swindon Town historic archive? (with ownership remaining the same) 

This way Mr Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk might find some willing assistants to help him with keeping it up to date to allow him to work on some of his new ideas?  Also it would mean that there would be somebody to keep an eye on the site when he is away to deal with issues like the one that started this thread?

We could also have some fun fund raising threads that go towards the running costs of both sites, e.g. fantasy football/prediction leagues etc. where half of the entrance fees go into the pot, the other half is winnings.  There are plenty of ideas for raising money that would not cost much but add a bit of fun to forum, especially with the numbers we have now.

Just a thought.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:02:01 »

Would I have to do anything?
Barry Scott

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:13:41 »

It's a good idea, but not possible unfortunately.

swindon-town-fc.co.uk is built using (Microsoft's) ASP, which only really works on a Windows Server. This site is built with PHP, which will run on any server and currently runs on Linux. However, for a long list of reasons, there's not a cat in hells chance of this site going anywhere near a Windows box and all the joys that entails. Smiley
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:19:22 »

It's a great site and one we should do more to support if there's anything that's needed.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:23:38 »

Richard's site is undoubtedly a very great thing....a few years ago, I was asked to write some stuff for a book being published, which included biographies of historic players. It was amazingly difficult to find stuff out as so few clubs have really detailed sites on historical stuff....certainly next to none officially and not too many unofficially.

Occasionally something has cropped up on here which Richard has been able to use like the list of televised games which we developed...and some video clips...speaking of which are the bits like the Chelsea Simod cup game that bigbobjoylove posted up recently there?

It's a labour of love...and all the better for it, long may it prosper.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:32:42 »

Would I have to do anything?

I remember back in the day, when there were plans afoot, to turn the TEF from a humble forum into something much more sexy...there were all sorts of wizard ideas what it might include..think I may have been a bit sceptical at the time, given the seemingly pissed  or drugged up nature of the participants that it would ever happen, bit like the CG redevelopment.

SY, I recall got in some Smoggie mate of his who designed a sexy new headline banner...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:34:51 »

It's a good idea, but not possible unfortunately.

swindon-town-fc.co.uk is built using (Microsoft's) ASP, which only really works on a Windows Server. This site is built with PHP, which will run on any server and currently runs on Linux. However, for a long list of reasons, there's not a cat in hells chance of this site going anywhere near a Windows box and all the joys that entails. Smiley

Fair enough, maybe we could become unofficial homies.  Still think we could contribute in some way, if he welcomes it of course.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 09:36:59 »

I remember back in the day, when there were plans afoot, to turn the TEF from a humble forum into something much more sexy...there were all sorts of wizard ideas what it might include..think I may have been a bit sceptical at the time, given the seemingly pissed  or drugged up nature of the participants that it would ever happen, bit like the CG redevelopment.

SY, I recall got in some Smoggie mate of his who designed a sexy new headline banner...
I did think perhaps the TEF could've become a precursor to The Washbag but frankly it would never have worked.
iffy

« Reply #38 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:08:04 »

With s-t-f-c.co.uk, the washbag and TEF, we're much better off than many clubs our size
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:13:52 »

They all serve a different purpose as well.  Tie ups (as The Washbag has with s-t-fc.co.uk) are great, but no need to merge them all in my view.  It's great as it is.

Even the Adver site, which many deride on here, serves a purpose.  Add in the radio coverage on BBC Wiltshire, and I have to agree we are very well served.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:23:47 »

I miss searching for snippet of Town news on page 312 on Ceefax Sad

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:26:51 »

I was thinking that earlier, the new red button stuff rarely covers anything Swindon related.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:38:28 »

I miss going to reserve games , to get a half time score over the tannoy from some norvern backwater like Halifax...only to discover that our 2 -0 half time lead has evaporated to a 4-3 defeat with 3 in the last 10 mins, in the Pink at 18:00.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:47:01 »

, in the Pink at 18:00.

Used to leave the CG in my teens,walk home then go out delivering the football pink
Was great for its day
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, September 5, 2013, 10:57:51 »

Talking of copyright Chalky, didn't you nick your avatar off his site? I'd say that's punishable by a fine of, say, £300.

Cheesy nice one
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: