Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Stevenage Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30479 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 9, 2013, 22:59:54 »

The Opponent:    Stevenage

As Friday finally draws to a close, its occurred to me I am missing 3 season tickets. The wife reliably informs me that she will be picking them up from the club shop in the morning, so if you see 3 people trying to convince the spotty urchin at the Town End turnstiles that we are season ticket holders and to let us in, there is a better than average chance it will be me.

Today we attempt to get our season underway at home for the 1st league game of the season, the visitors being Stevenage, or Stigenace, as they were recorded in The Doomsday Book in 1086. It would appear that apart from Lewis Hamilton and the filming of Saxondale, Stevenage can proudly boast that they had the UK’s first pedestrianised shopping centre, opened by The Queen, way back in 1959. Interestingly, it is believed that Stevenage has some of the tallest street lights in the country, must admit I have no idea why, I am completely in the dark on this one.

After a little dig through the local newspaper it would appear out friends at Spurs have decided to open a club shop in Stevenage Town Centre! There have been suggestions that Spurs would also stock the Stevenage shirt in the shop but the chairman of Stevenage has labelled the suggestion as “ridiculous”. Phil Wallace dismissed the idea after Tottenham Hotspur’s store operations manager Paul Moynihan told the local rag last week there would be discussions about the matter ahead of the opening of the Premier League club’s shop in Stevenage on Saturday. The store, which will be situated in Westgate Shopping Centre next to menswear chain Burton, will offer a full range of Spurs merchandise as well as shirt printing services. “Would we sell Stevenage shirts in a Spurs shop? 110 per cent not,” said Mr Wallace. Following the announcement about the store’s opening last week, Stevenage fans raised objections to Spurs having a shop in the town centre but Mr Moynihan said Stevenage FC were “not concerned” – something Mr Wallace has refuted. Expect them on a clothes rail at the CG club shop soon.

The last time we met at – The County Ground – Just 4 months and 4 league games ago we put 3 past Stevenage with goals from Aden Flint (2), and Gary Roberts. Just over 9’500 in the crowd that day, I wonder how far we will be off that this time?

They’ve played for us both – Charlie Griffin, Lloyd Opara, Graz, Oliver Risser, Tony Thorpe and not forgetting the brilliant Jamie Slabber.

Where the opposition gather http://www.borochat.co.uk/forum.jsp?article=237383

Last 6 – WDLLLL (On the opening day of the season Boro lost 3-4 to Oldham)

The Odds – Swindon 5/6  Draw 5/2  Stevenage 15/4   Andy Williams won me a few quid on Tuesday night after he popped up with the first goal, as I predicted. Ok, Chang told me it would happen really. One I may swerve is Bet Victors generous 17/4 on Paul Benson scoring the first goal.

The Son Says – 3-0 thrashing, no ifs and buts, a confident air about him this week.

The Prediction – I have to say the style of football we are trying to play at present is a joy to watch. I don’t think its a big secret we are a striker short and if we can get that striker in, whether it be Clarke, Thomas or anyone else with a degree of ability, I think we will be fighting for the higher places in the league table. 2-0 Town, goals from Luongo and Williams, 8’768 with 398 travelling from Hertfordshire.

And Finally –  Next time you happen to fly over Stevenage in the private jet take a close look at the shape of the town from up above, it forms a heart shape!

COYR COYR COYR
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 9, 2013, 23:03:35 »

0-3
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 9, 2013, 23:05:26 »

Non League opposition.  Yay.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 9, 2013, 23:05:46 »

0-0. 7222 (333 from them)
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 9, 2013, 23:06:46 »

Football changes, but it always stays the same.

Stevenage is one of those teams I associate with "not being allowed in the football league because your ground isn't good enough". Yet we live in a world where Yeovil are a league above. Everything is upside-down.

I can't keep up. Fuck knows how Reg copes.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 9, 2013, 23:12:57 »

When Harpenden, Letchworth and Welwyn Garden City join in we'll really be able to party.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 9, 2013, 23:14:54 by Ardiles » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 01:50:31 »

Football changes, but it always stays the same.

Stevenage is one of those teams I associate with "not being allowed in the football league because your ground isn't good enough". Yet we live in a world where Yeovil are a league above. Everything is upside-down.

I can't keep up. Fuck knows how Reg copes.

Keep an open mind fB

Stevenage/Hitchin/Letchworth is a curio...it's the ex missus territory, so spent a lot of time in that neck of the woods (reluctantly) It's OK as long as you keep out of Looton...strangely the ex still holds a bit of STFC and was particularly pissed off when her motor was keyed in Looton for having an STFC window sticker...she was much happier when we turned Stevenage over 4-0 at Broadhall Way last season.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 03:55:30 »

Shaw you were premature. This surely means we're doomed. 0-2.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 06:23:47 »

Fail-safe ... it was 02.59.54 here in Russia. Pre-emptive strike, we'll keep the reds' flag flying here.

2-0 Pritchard and Williams, 8562 with 309 from heartsville.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 06:44:10 »

Good read SR, 2-0, Pritchard, Mason.
Levi lapper

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 07:17:20 »

Premature postulation, bound to happen, it's  been building up all summer.

2 - 0 Williams brace.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 07:36:13 »

2-1 defeat.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 07:55:56 »

We'll play nice football, but will be overpowered by the Westley hoof machine. 2-0 defeat.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 08:06:18 »

Stevenage fan at work says "it's not pretty to watch" and the youngsters may struggle with the Westley style.

Think it may be 1-1.
Dozno9

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 10, 2013, 08:15:20 »

Hall and Ward will never have headed the ball so much.

3-1, and Pritchard will have learnt to pass.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: