Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Torquay United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 39933 times)
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:08:56 »

Well, that was different. Personally I really enjoyed the "total football" approach. Did have to put up with guy next to me saying how useless "all the spurs lot" are, and the broken record of "get it bloody forward". I guess it will really divide our fan base this season.

The reality seems to be that we would be second best at the route one game though. We started to play long towards the end of the first half, and I thought it was our worst spell. If that is the case, we don't really have a choice, but to keep it on the deck. I am quite happy to pay to come and watch knowing that we will play in that manner. I do worry what will happen when we go behind in games as, for now at least I think too many teams will be able to keep a clean sheet against us.

Looking forward to Saturday, will be interesting to see how we front up against a physical league one side.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:10:38 »

Williams would probably play out wide instead of Tijane?

Would suit him better I reckon. Didn't he spend most of his career as a winger anyway?
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:11:33 »

I guess it will really divide our fan base this season.

Yarp, the mongs can stew in their own stupidity.. Cunts. Starting to annoy me already and it's only the first home game of the season.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:11:53 »

I thought Storey only went properly up top when Pritchard came off and we moved one of the midfielders just in behind - was supposed to be Luongo but Thompson was fucked so finished up there by default.  Story went in like for like on right to begin with.

Yep about right altho from the off Storey was more lively than Reis and his strong runs gave Williams more space.

Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:13:12 »

Would suit him better I reckon. Didn't he spend most of his career as a winger anyway?

I think so. He played there a fair bit under KMac at the tail end of last season as well, personally didn't think he was too bad up front all on his Colin Todd tonight though.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:16:30 by Cibocchi_Is_God » Logged
Azza

« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:21:16 »

As someone said above he keeps running and chasing balls and should of had 2 tonight. He just lacks something, I've no idea what that something is though.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:23:08 »

He did look better 2nd half but still doesnt look his former self to me.
Storeys introduction made a big difference as full of running and lively up front so Williams benefitted from that.

Still dont think he is the man we need upfront - and yes he scored when he couldnt miss
He SHOULD have had more - not sure if the ball crossed the line or not but his one on one with the keeper summed his recent form up for me - lacking in confidence big time.

Who knows that goal may be what was needed to kickstart him into gear

Depends on the personnel we play along side him

I honestly don't think Williams can play in a 4-5-1 that's the problem and its not his fault. He isn't a winger, he is a very good league 1 striker that needs a partner upfront. 30 odd goals in the last two seasons. Any coincidence that before tonight he hasn't scored in 12 games...and the formation for those 12 games?? 4-5-1.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:23:09 »

As someone said above he keeps running and chasing balls and should of had 2 tonight. He just lacks something, I've no idea what that something is though.

Composure.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:31:07 »

Indeed Batch, he never looks likely to score one on one.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:31:20 »

Willo will NOT score.  There, that should do it!

Bye
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:40:39 »

The next person I hear shout "GET IT FUCKING FORWARD TOWN" after 10 minutes of composed possesion football is getting punched in the face. I knew it would be like that. So many of our fans are retarded.

Kasim was the big plus tonight for me. MOTM performance, composed, always wanted the ball and had controlled aggression without the ball. I liked mason 1st half, some classy touches and passing.

As for the Williams debate, cooper said it himself after the game he told the players to be slightly more direct and give Williams some balls to chase in behind their defence. Strangley enough he was much more effective when the team were playing more to his strengths. We also looked more likley to score.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:55:21 »

The next person I hear shout "GET IT FUCKING FORWARD TOWN"

took less than a minute for the guy next to me to say that, also "get it in there then" when there was nobody in the box.

i despair at how short sighted fans of football in general can be, forget possession, forget creativity, forget technique, forget actual tactics, just get the sodding ball in the box!!!!!    if that's what people want then they should 'support' sam fucking allardice or graham tossing westly instead of an actual club.

horses for courses has never been so apparent for swindon, we have to play to our strengths and simply 'getting it forward' is so far withdrawn from our strengths that we might as well just give up entirely if that's all people can muster by way of constructive criticism.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 23:33:28 »

For what it's worth, a quick look on the Torquay forum, lots of fans saying the ball definitely crossed the line. Although they did say they were quite unlucky and it was a game of two halves. I only remember a 10 min spell of pressure
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 23:58:45 »

For what it's worth, a quick look on the Torquay forum, lots of fans saying the ball definitely crossed the line. Although they did say they were quite unlucky and it was a game of two halves. I only remember a 10 min spell of pressure
They are right though, it was a game of two halves. It's just we were the better side in both of them.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 06:21:17 »

I think the linesman suspected that too, but there was no way that he could see the ball in order to give it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: