Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IPads ....  (Read 5016 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:34:30 »

I want to buy one but have no real clue .....

So what makes are good?
What should I look for?
How much will I have to spend to get a good one?
Wheres best to buy from?

HELP!!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:37:22 »

"So what makes are good? "

So by "IPads", do you really mean tablets?
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:38:37 »

Probably .... Like I say I know nothing!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:46:15 »

At the risk of being laughed at ....

Whats the difference?
pvsmark

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:50:26 »

Whats the difference?

Marketing mainly.... your probably better off with the new Nexus 7 as its cheap and does 99% of what the iPad does, but if you want a bigger screen go for a Nexus 10 or iPad
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:56:09 »

Marketing mainly.... your probably better off with the new Nexus 7 as its cheap and does 99% of what the iPad does, but if you want a bigger screen go for a Nexus 10 or iPad

Ah ok.

And I could get that from most bog standard retailers?

They seem to be available for between £160-£200 which sounds cheap to me
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:11:43 »

Whats the difference?

Only Apple make the IPad. They run an operating system called iOS, have their own app store for applications. The advantage of going Apple is things are generally simpler (arguably), but you pay a lot more for the brand.

The main rival to the iPad are Android operating system based tablets. You'll find hundreds of makes at prices from £50-£350. There is a fragmented market, some tablets  are stuck on an old version of Android, which may not run the latest applications. But sometimes the very latest Android applications don't run on the brand new version of Android. Due to the popularity of Android this is happening less and less.

NB: You can not use Apple applications on an Adroid device, and vice versa. Almost all major "non Apple" apps are available to both platforms.

Personally the iPAD offers nothing to me that an Android device can't do. And the **NEW MODEL** Nexus 7 is a good bet if the screen is big enough. though the old Nexus 7 might become cheaper when the new model is out. You are looking at around £200 or a bit less for a Nexus (depending on model), quite a bit more for an iPad.

I guess you need to ask yourself a few questions about what you need the device to do, then post back. eg.
  - 3G cpability or just wifi
  - Will you use it to take pictures
  - Are there specific things you want to do with it/applications you want to run on it

etc/...
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:15:48 »

Cheers Batch

Just want it to downloads movies and shit and take on holiday.  So want a decent size screen.  The Nexus 7 I just googled had a 7" screen which sounds a bit small.

Might be best off taking a trip into currys or something and having a look.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:22:02 »

Cheers Batch

Just want it to downloads movies and shit and take on holiday.  So want a decent size screen.  The Nexus 7 I just googled had a 7" screen which sounds a bit small.

Might be best off taking a trip into currys or something and having a look.

That's the best thing to do, and the first thing I advise any relative/friend that comes and asks me about Tablets. Go and have a look at some. If nothing else, you can see what the different screen sizes are like, how it feels in the hand, that kind of thing. Just don't let a salesperson trick you into buying one first visit...

If you want it for movie-watching and taking on holiday you'll likely want one with a decent battery life. There's a good list here with battery life and screen sizes: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20080768-251/cnet-tablet-battery-life-results/
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 14:04:35 »

Buy cheap but twice as they say. You can get 2nd and 3rd gen iPads for decent prices these days. I'd say they are the most user friendly, and judging by your post its what you need.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 14:10:33 »

I have an 2nd gen iPad which I won. It's a great little travellers toy and does everything I need it to do and plenty more besides.

That said, if I was spending my own money, I'd buy a Nexus Tablet most likely, cheaper and does everything you need it to do.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 14:18:28 »

Buy cheap but twice as they say. You can get 2nd and 3rd gen iPads for decent prices these days. I'd say they are the most user friendly, and judging by your post its what you need.

Is 2nd and 3rd gen code for 2nd and 3rd hand?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 14:19:22 »

No, they're different models- see http://uk.ign.com/wikis/ipad/IPad_(3rd_Generation)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 14:55:40 »

Is 2nd and 3rd gen code for 2nd and 3rd hand?
It's generation. Basically means model
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 15:09:30 »

Actually made me soapy tit wank
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: