Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hack a Windows password  (Read 5906 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:02:37 »

Anyone know how to do this please?

I've got a laptop here but can't get into it. Starting in Safe Mode only brings up the same password box because an admin password has been set too I think. I've also tried the obvious things, like clicking cancel, ctrl alt del twice, username and admin name with no password.

I don't necessarily need to retrieve any files or anything from it, just need to get in and format it really.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:07:10 »

What version of windows? Only way to do it is to do it through a program on a bootable disc, usually linux/ubuntu based.

If you just want to format it though, you shouldn't need the password. A windows disc should let you do this before windows boots, or use a partition manager program (again bootable disc versions are available).

I'm assuming you do have another working computer.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:15:55 »

It's an XP machine I'm trying to get into. What program will I need?

I don't have an original XP disc but did just download a version and burn it to CD from my Mac. Nothing happens when I turn the PC on with it in the disc drive, nor when I tell it to boot from the drive through BIOS.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:16:30 »

Sounds a bit dodgy maybe but it's just an old work laptop that I've inherited btw.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:28:55 »

It's an XP machine I'm trying to get into. What program will I need?

I don't have an original XP disc but did just download a version and burn it to CD from my Mac. Nothing happens when I turn the PC on with it in the disc drive, nor when I tell it to boot from the drive through BIOS.

Was it burnt as a bootable copy ?
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:29:10 »

I've got a boot disk ISO I forget the name of that is Linux based and is superb and a piece of piss. Takes a few seconds just following the on screen prompts. I'll upload it later when I find it.
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:37:50 »

You can always count on the TEF for some good old espionage advice.  Grin
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:07:01 »

Was it burnt as a bootable copy ?

Ah, no. Just opened the iso on my Mac, selected files and ctrl clicked, then chose burn files to disc. Is it possible to make bootable discs from a Mac?

I've got a boot disk ISO I forget the name of that is Linux based and is superb and a piece of piss. Takes a few seconds just following the on screen prompts. I'll upload it later when I find it.

Thanks, Barry.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:07:44 »

I don't just burn the iso file to disc to create a 'bootable copy' do I?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:07:49 »

This is a god send..

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:11:07 »

If you boot in safe mode and can see the 'admin' account, the default password is 'administrator'.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:14:53 »

It's in classic display mode, so an empty dialogue box with username (blank) and password comes up, both in Safe and normal mode.

I thought I knew the u/n and password but no luck with a variety of combinations yet.
Barry Scott

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:19:44 »

Ah, no. Just opened the iso on my Mac, selected files and ctrl clicked, then chose burn files to disc. Is it possible to make bootable discs from a Mac?

Of course, yes. Are you using Toast? In the case of my ISO, open with Toast, not Disk Utility or a decompression program and click burn. Nothing more to it.

Just burn this. I don't know what it's called or where I got it, but I know it's freely available online and I think it's a variation of what Sippo's posted.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1IA2NQEM/cd110511.iso_links

Boot this CD, then it gives you various options, it's like a dos prompt, most are set as default so you can click enter on each, but read the instructions as they come up, it's far more straight forward than it seems.

EDIT:

This appears to be the site the ISO is from. (Might be easier to download from here.)

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

And here's YouTube video of someone using it.

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:30:26 »

I wasn't using Toast, am obtaining it now.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 28, 2013, 20:33:39 »

Okay, I can only get as far as downloading imgburn on those instructions Barry, because I'm working on a Mac and it's a .exe file that just brings up a notepad file of gobbledygook.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: