Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For Reg Smeaton and Friends.  (Read 2120 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 20:50:31 »

http://www.archive.org/stream/lifeinrailwayfac00will/lifeinrailwayfac00will_djvu.txt

A great read this and in this format easy on the eye.

I think in another 100 years time this book will be incredibly important to historians even more so than it is today......it was amazing that a railway worker was allowed to have this book published...its pretty damming especially for those days and not suprising that he left the works a little later.

The Hammerman poet was also a very good book writer.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 08:26:18 »

Cheers Leefer, a useful reference, however I couldn't read a whole book on a PC...and have never tried one of those Kindle things, so will stick with books.

I actually prefer Life in a Wiltshire Village...
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 19:54:06 »

Cheers Leefer, a useful reference, however I couldn't read a whole book on a PC...and have never tried one of those Kindle things, so will stick with books.

I actually prefer Life in a Wiltshire Village...

Well you could always move to Blunsdon Reg  Grin
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:40:55 »

Well you could always move to Blunsdon Reg  Grin

Which bit....St Andrew...Broad...or Lower?

Feel a bit sorry for folk out that way, as it really has been decimated by sprawl, and road building. I can remember when Blunsdon was just about in the countryside, and you could walk up from the Sevenfields Conservation Site, and it was pleasant, and it's not that long ago.

Ermin Street was recognisably a Roman Road, as well as the 419, and used to fascinate me by having signs for Calcutt, which seemed no more than a couple of buildings near Cricklade
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:42:35 »

Ermin Street was recognisably a Roman Road, as well as the 419, and used to fascinate me by having signs for Calcutt, which seemed no more than a couple of buildings near Cricklade
Come on Reg you remember when the Romans built it don't you? Bet you still call it "That new road" don't you?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:49:00 »

Come on Reg you remember when the Romans built it don't you? Bet you still call it "That new road" don't you?

Cheesy

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:51:29 »

With a tentative Roman link, I only learned that Cirencester used to be known as Cissester by the well to do, and never Ciren.

And linking back to railways, my mum lives and I was brought up right near where the old Watermoor railway station was, mum still lives in the shadow of the railway bank. Incredible to think Ciren used to have three stations (sort of).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:51:40 »

Nah...The Ridgeway's "That new road"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:54:10 »

Nah...The Ridgeway's "That new road"
Ha ha nice one Reg! 1-0 to Snr Smeeton, methinks Smiley
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:55:10 »

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-341282.html

Green Granite agrees Batch..new one on me that one.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 7, 2013, 20:59:09 by leefer » Logged
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 7, 2013, 23:58:25 »

Re. above

Am I right in thinking that 'Mildenhall' (the place) is actually pronounced 'Mine-all' by the locals?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: