Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When in Rome  (Read 2562 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:31:37 »

Looking at going to Rome for a long weekend in September. I'm after some Hotel recommendations please. Close to the action please. (I don't know much about Rome)
fatbasher

« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:37:20 »

Looking at going to Rome for a long weekend in September. I'm after some Hotel recommendations please. Close to the action please. (I don't know much about Rome)

Went in May last year with work. You'll need deep pockets. What budget do have in mind if you don't mind my asking? I'll get some info from work about where we stayed and where we ate etc if I can.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:37:32 »

(I don't know much about Rome)

Rome had the National Museum of Pasta Foods, the only one of its kind in the world.

It seems to be closed now.

HTH
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:38:47 »

Went in May last year with work. You'll need deep pockets. What budget do have in mind if you don't mind my asking? I'll get some info from work about where we stayed and where we ate etc if I can.
Budget for hotel would be around 300 quid give or take, depends if we do 3 or 4 nights, I'd say between 80/100 quid a night
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:57:32 »

What does "action" translate as?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:10:29 »

What does "action" translate as?
As in the things to do and see, touristy stuff. We'll leave the other action to the hotel room thanks
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:12:55 »

Have a white pizza in a real Italian pizza place.
Go to the river at nighttime.
The colosseum is worth a look.
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:13:32 »

Stayed at Hotel Canova a few years ago for 3 nights, it was great... Nothing fancy but everything was nice, clean, quiet, good breakfast with plenty of choice on the roof terrace.  A very decent 3* option near the Colosseum and other sights.  And the ice cream place just round the corner is immense, I could seriously have bypassed all the sightseeing and sat there sampling all the different flavours for the entire weekend!    Eat
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:17:36 »

Vatican, Trevi Fountain.
Roma or Lazio game  Smiley
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:29:08 »

Vatican, Trevi Fountain.
Roma or Lazio game  Smiley

Just after hotels at the moment, the wife has the touristy stuff in hand. All I ask is to go and see Stadio Olimpico really, if I can catch a game, I will.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:46:26 »

Rome is brilliant.  Nicely walkable, a site around every corner.  For what its worth I stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is not far from the vatican and runs shuttle buses into town.  Saw the pope live.  Very disappointing.  Didn't do any of the hits, just played to the crowd 'anyone in from nigeria' that sort of thing.  Going back at the end of July.  Hope the new pope is a bit more crowd pleasing.

Never knowingly overstated.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 14:19:14 »

Rome is brilliant.  Nicely walkable, a site around every corner.  For what its worth I stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is not far from the vatican and runs shuttle buses into town.  Saw the pope live.  Very disappointing.  Didn't do any of the hits, just played to the crowd 'anyone in from nigeria' that sort of thing.  Going back at the end of July.  Hope the new pope is a bit more crowd pleasing.
Crowne Plaza has actually made it onto my short list this afternoon. So that's a good sign
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 14:27:43 »

They had a brilliantly cheesy cabaret pianist.  He was probably italy's entry to the eurovision in 1972 or something.  It really made the weekend.  All that history and good food was trumped by him.

Never knowingly overstated.
nochee

« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 17:15:06 »

If you are a man that likes to take a chance, don't book a hotel. There are deals at the airport that can be really cheap and bang in the centre of everything.
fatbasher

« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 23:58:18 »

Budget for hotel would be around 300 quid give or take, depends if we do 3 or 4 nights, I'd say between 80/100 quid a night

Take a tent!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: