Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: holidays to NYC  (Read 36457 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:37:55 »

So the wife mentioned the 9/11 museum. We definitely do the memorial, but not sure about the museum. Part of me wants to do it, but the other half feels it could be two or so hours to use up. It would definitely interest me. Thoughts?

If you wish to feel depressed for a few hours, it is worth a trip.  It is pretty horrific to be honest, sort of glad I did it, but not sure why.  If your time is limited, I'd give it a miss and just walk around the memorial area.  If you fancy sharing thousands of peoples grief, then pop in.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:41:46 »

That's how I feel. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us. Would I regret not doing the museum? Not sure. Would it be interesting - probably. Do I really need to see it - probably not.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 12:42:32 »

I felt the same way about the Ghostbusters fire station.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 13:59:06 »

Its actually quite a sobering sight when you walk past any fire station in the city, the chances are there is a little memorial outside listing the casualties that particular station lost on that day
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 14:12:26 »

I would recommend this museum instead - http://groundzeromuseumworkshop.org/the-museum.html

It's more focussed on the aftermath of 9/11 rather than the day itself. It's very moving, but far less "touristy". It's a small place so you need to book in advance as only a handful of people go on each tour. And it's only down the street from the Highline walk which is a must do activity IMO

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 14:50:29 »

I felt the same way about the Ghostbusters fire station.

Which was under some sort of Asbestos cover the last two times I went, big disappointment.

I'd give the the 9/11 Museum a miss thinking about it.  The memorial area is good enough alone these days to have some thoughts about the event.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 22:52:20 »

Anyone used an Uber or Lyft from jfk to Brooklyn. Was contemplating subway, but maybe a ball ache with the cases.
Manhattan to JFK cost me 65usd

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, December 6, 2018, 14:32:23 »

Which was under some sort of Asbestos cover the last two times I went, big disappointment.

I'd give the the 9/11 Museum a miss thinking about it.  The memorial area is good enough alone these days to have some thoughts about the event.

Be prepared for selfie-taking morons though, big beaming grins on their faces as they pose... saw some people leaning up against the sides of the pools, pretty much sitting on the names of those who died. Couldn't believe it when we were there.

The museum wasn't open when we went, my other half was really disappointed. I do recommend the NYC Fire Department museum though, a really interesting look back through their history. http://www.nycfiremuseum.org/

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, December 6, 2018, 18:10:34 »

Peculier Pub has a load of good beers on.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 17:01:05 »

6 weeks or so to go. Any lyft codes about?

With uber, if you download in a new country does that count as a new customer?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, February 22, 2019, 17:07:52 »

My best friend is moving to Manhattan or Brooklyn in October and I'm very lucky that I'll finally be able to do NYC and without the hotel costs in the next year or so.
Panda Paws

« Reply #86 on: Saturday, February 23, 2019, 08:16:37 »

With uber, if you download in a new country does that count as a new customer?

No
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, March 31, 2019, 20:44:37 »

I don’t like the thought of carrying my passport around to use as ID. Do they accept UK driving licenses? I Hear the Yankee stadium can be quite strict.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, March 31, 2019, 22:14:04 »

Yep
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, April 1, 2019, 01:10:39 »

If by strict you mean serving alcohol, then yes and yes.  Down here they ID everyone regardless of age.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: