Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: holidays to NYC  (Read 36448 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 19:40:38 »

Hate cricket, can I keep the wife occupied for 3 hours. That’s going to be the hardest task. Normally it’s 3 minutes 😂

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 20:06:26 »

Probably not then!

I’d chance it though just to get the “NYC sports experience” box ticked. If it helps the range of food/beer at both New York’s ballparks is staggeringly good, if a bit pricey
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 20:08:26 »

Baseball is not "exciting" by any stretch, but I find going along with a view to having some drinks can make it worthwhile enterprise.  I actually do like Baseball, following the Yankees (for those that do follow, I know).  Yankee stadium is a good day out, Mets play over in Queens and you get to go by Flushing Meadows as well.  Hot dogs and beers being sent down the aisle are always fun.

Hockey will be well underway in April - pretty frantic, much more fun than the UK part time version.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 20:10:04 »

Oh, and shouting Fuck Off Kansas loudly is not well received at Baseball grounds.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 20:34:54 »

NBA will be into playoff season, however it'll be a bloody long shot for either the NYC or the Brooklyn team to make them!

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 00:32:36 »

Baseball is not "exciting" by any stretch, but I find going along with a view to having some drinks can make it worthwhile enterprise.  I actually do like Baseball, following the Yankees (for those that do follow, I know).  Yankee stadium is a good day out, Mets play over in Queens and you get to go by Flushing Meadows as well.  Hot dogs and beers being sent down the aisle are always fun.

Hockey will be well underway in April - pretty frantic, much more fun than the UK part time version.

I was on holiday in Canada (British Columbia and Alberta) when the Calgary Flames were playing Tampa Lightening in the Stanley Cup. Got carried along with it, beer and steaks, I still have a flames baseball cap  Smiley
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 09:58:17 »

I had 4 nights in NYC with the family last month. Would certainly recommend the Top of the Rock, although be aware that if you want to go at twilight so you can see daytime & night time views, they charge a bit extra and it gets really busy. Watch out for protruding selfie sticks !
The Highline is lovely, a really nice walk where you will get to see parts of the city that wouldnt necessarily be on most peoples list.
We took the ferry to Liberty Island, then on to Ellis Island. To be honest, although Ellis Island was interesting, I think if I knew how long the whole thing would take, I would just take the free ferry and not actually go to the Islands. The statue can be seen better from the boat that from the Island, but it still didnt have that "Wow" factor for me, it just felt a bit "Meh". And because the ferry does the same route all day (Manhattan - Liberty Island - Ellis island - Manhattan), when you try to get off Ellis Island back to Manhattan, the ferry is already full of people not bothering with Ellis Island, so only a few get on each time. We queued for ages just to get back to the city.
Most of the other sites can be done for free though, including museums like the natural history although they dont advertise the fact that its voluntary suggested contributions rather than an entry fee. The 9/11 memorial was a real take your breath away moment for me.
Loved the whole atmosphere of NYC though, there was a real energy and buzz around the place.
Enjoy !
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 08:40:02 »

Hate cricket, can I keep the wife occupied for 3 hours. That’s going to be the hardest task. Normally it’s 3 minutes 😂

It's not really 3 hours of uninterrupted watching.  A lot of people miss the start and/or the end (far more than at UK football) and virtually everyone goes for a wander at some point during the game.  Every ballpark has concourses selling a mass of food and merchandise where you can watch the game, albeit standing up, often with a good view of the game over home plate/first base.

The comparison with cricket is valid however.  Its a slow moving spectacle for much of the game so you need to understand the nuances to get the most out of it.  I was at the Yankees a couple of weeks ago and there was one stretch of 5 innings (circa 75 mins) where scarcely anyone got on base let alone scored a run.  Out of the 8 of us, 3 were talking amongst themselves, 2 found it fun as a one-off spectacle and 3 of us thought it was a good game, particularly as our team came from behind to beat the Yankees.

One feature of watching in NY is that both the Yankees and the Mets crowds are very raucous by US standards and will boo their own team if they are losing and can be a bit verbally hostile to opposing fans.  This is unheard of in most other places where the crowds are very laid back.

It's not cheap.  Beers are $8-12 and food is similarly expensive.  You can get very cheap tickets in the regular season however.  They start at $15 usually (possibly not in NY) with good seats $70-100+.  You are a long way from the action in the cheap seats but with the option of watching at least some of the game from the concourses.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 08:44:11 by Pax Romana » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 18:23:06 »

Anyone used an Uber or Lyft from jfk to Brooklyn. Was contemplating subway, but maybe a ball ache with the cases.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Panda Paws

« Reply #69 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:20:35 »

Anyone used an Uber or Lyft from jfk to Brooklyn. Was contemplating subway, but maybe a ball ache with the cases.

I always get an uber from JFK. Its no bother at all.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:27:01 »

Yellow cabs are a rip from from airport (and probably in general as a rule).

I use the subway as it’s dirt cheap, guess it depends on how many changes you would have to make in order to get to your hotel and the time of day I.e rush hour or not
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 21:31:15 »

As easy as the subway system is, its the last thing you want to do after a day of traveling. Last time I went, before Uber was around, a can was about 50 dollars into Manhattan.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:50:18 by Chubbs » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:25:53 »

Cabs are fixed price - think it's $55 plus toll and tip.

Honestly, Uber is very easy from JFK. There's a pick up area that you can't miss.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 11:04:23 »

So the wife mentioned the 9/11 museum. We definitely do the memorial, but not sure about the museum. Part of me wants to do it, but the other half feels it could be two or so hours to use up. It would definitely interest me. Thoughts?

Panda Paws

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 11:07:24 »

So the wife mentioned the 9/11 museum. We definitely do the memorial, but not sure about the museum. Part of me wants to do it, but the other half feels it could be two or so hours to use up. It would definitely interest me. Thoughts?

Not been and not interested in going to be honest - have heard mixed reviews.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: