Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: holidays to NYC  (Read 36454 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 13:34:31 »

Don't think you can get a ferry to Bergan anymore?

So it seems. Immingham to Brevik only.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 15:53:15 »

So here’s a question or two...probably best for Rob T.

- in foodhalls, what is the tipping policy? Still tip the barman but not the food vendors? What about donut/pizza/takeout places?

- Sippo likes a beer. So how much do need for a day out on average? Lots of happy hours til 8ish, but seems most places are $8 a pint and $15 a cocktail. Really not interested in tourist areas and have been researching a lot places out in Brooklyn. I was hoping to take about £800/1000 for the 5 days for both of us. We are not interested in the fancy restaurants and are more into foodhalls with multiple vendors (hence my question above).

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 16:11:48 »

- in foodhalls, what is the tipping policy? Still tip the barman but not the food vendors? What about donut/pizza/takeout places?

- Sippo likes a beer. So how much do need for a day out on average? Lots of happy hours til 8ish, but seems most places are $8 a pint and $15 a cocktail. Really not interested in tourist areas and have been researching a lot places out in Brooklyn. I was hoping to take about £800/1000 for the 5 days for both of us. We are not interested in the fancy restaurants and are more into foodhalls with multiple vendors (hence my question above).
Most street vendors and pizza places will have a tip jar at the till and its really your discretion.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 16:32:50 »

I was thinking more of foodhall places such debalkt markethall.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 16:43:10 »

Tipping rules (and they kind of are rules at times) are fun :-)

Generally speaking you tip for service - so I wouldn't be tipping when you collect yourself, apart from at a bar.  At a bar, it would be normal to tip a dollar per drink, or slightly less if you buy multiple at the same time.  As soon as you add food to your order at a bar, they'll be expecting 15%-20% - some will actually print two or three tip %'s on the bill and what they equate to - poor service, good service, great service etc.  Now, you may point out these kinds of rates are crazy!!!!  The reality is they have to declare this as income and get taxed upon it, they also declare it to the employer and it can, and usually does, allow the employer to pay a much lower normal hourly rate.  This is why you'll probably be offered a food menu every time you order in most bars, even if they can get you to have some wings, they think that'll be enhancing the tip.

Price wise - in NYC you can get down to about $5 for a beer in the right places (try Upper end of Amsterdam Ave. between 70th and 90th Street).  Go to some place on 5th Ave and those prices you quote can soon escalate!  NYC is essentially like a crammed in version of London - lots of places will have beer menu's though, and choose the right place while putting on the English accent as thickly as possible, you might get some freebies thrown in - I have no idea if they monitor yield per barrel, but the amount of wastage I see suggests otherwise and hence why you might get the freebies when you play nice - I got a couple free on my first night in NY a few years back, and round here got a 6 pint tab for $20 after a couple of hours of conversation with the barman.

Street vendors, no need to tip.  Pizza - 10% if they deliver.

So long as you avoid 5th Avenue shopping that budget should be fine.  If you intend on doing any of the usual pay for site seeing, get a CityPass - usually available with discounts online as well.  Loads, as already pointed out, can be done for free though.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 16:45:44 »

Oh, and this is hit and miss - if you run a tab in a bar, having some cash on display (just a couple of dollars) has been known to solicit the freebie, as they know that tips are coming.  They'll probably leave it alone while you order on a tab, but they know what it is for.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 16:48:31 »

Actually, there is more - start out your first order in a bar by asking for advice on what to drink - most places will allow a sample of 3-4 beers before you pay for one.  It's nice, you get about half a pint I guess, but it can help kick start discussion with the bartender/server.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 16:54:54 »

Thanks.

I think the only site seeing paid for item would be top of the rock. We will do stanten ferry, high line and there is the north river lobster company which offers a cruise with a bar at $10.

Have found plenty of foodhalls with multiple vendors. We don’t do posh.

And that budget is just for food and drink.

There are plenty of ‘dive bars’ including one which offers $3 pints with free hotdogs.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 17, 2018, 17:07:22 by Sippo » Logged

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 17:11:10 »

Dive bars are indeed you friend, that's what you'd find on Amsterdam Ave.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, August 17, 2018, 18:30:41 »

Thanks Mr T

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 17:52:40 »

Any recommendations on what sport to watch? Is baseball long and boring? Shame there’s no NFL to watch - never seen it before. Do I want to watch a ‘soccer’ match?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 17:56:36 »

when you going?
(ice) Hockey?

edit: ok, may. never mind then. that buggers up basketball too
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 18:00:11 »

Whatever you watch, be prepared to high 5 complete strangers.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 18:02:19 »

when you going?
(ice) Hockey?

edit: ok, may. never mind then. that buggers up basketball too

April.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 19:24:35 »

No NFL that time of the year. Hockey and a basketball will be towards end of the season, could even be playoff time.

Baseball season will have started. A game lasts about 2.5-3 hours, I don’t find it boring but then I find cricket tedious, each to their own really
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: