Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: holidays to NYC  (Read 36459 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, August 6, 2018, 20:18:04 »

Holy thread revival batman....

And yes it pisses me off when people ask about holidays.

So, NYC in May 2019. Looking to book. Recommendations over the last few years. Is 4 nights sufficient? Is April cheaper to travel?
Depends what you want to do but if it’s your first time 4 days is not enough. If you want to do everything and not seem rushed, you’d need 7-10 days min. 
You obviously know the main attractions but happy to recommend things like places to eat etc.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, August 6, 2018, 20:21:19 »

Couldn’t do 7 days. Would only be two of us. Budget would be tight. Around £1200.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Panda Paws

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 08:22:57 »

5 nights/6 days. Fly Norwegian out of LGW on the morning flight and you're in downtown Manhattan for brunch.

The Broome in Soho is my favourite NY hotel, and they include breakfast, which is rare.

NobleDEN is a good budget option: https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/nobleden.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBGhQiAEBmAEuuAEHyAEM2AEB6AEB-AEMkgIBeagCAw;sid=3ebd54938938005c681885740753a185

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 10:12:27 »

Couldn’t do 7 days. Would only be two of us. Budget would be tight. Around £1200.
I know how it is. I remember going for 2 weeks probably 13 years ago now, and flight and accommodation came to 500 quid. Albeit the accommodation for a $15/night sleep with one eye open youth hostel, but hey.

If its your first time and you intend on doing all the attractions, i highly recommend a NYC Pass.
https://www.sightseeingpass.com/en/new-york?aid=13&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1YWcxNXa3AIVUFXTCh3odgljEAAYASAAEgIJ5PD_BwE
The attractions all add up and whilst the pass may seem expensive, it does save you money and also time and a lot of them allow queue jumping.

Hotel wise, if money allows, look around Times square, its pretty much smack bang in the middle of everything. The most recent time we went we stayed here https://goo.gl/maps/hAPUfKRiDfv
There is (or atleast used to be) an amazing french bistro attached to it which did the most amazing steak, would highly recommend. Theres also an amazing diner where we went for breakfast a few doors down with amazing pancakes and french toast.

If you want something cheaper. Look a bit further south around Greenwich village or Chelsea, plenty of boutique hotels and if you really want to relive some history why not stay at The Chelsea Hotel famous for being where Nancy (girlfriend of Sid Vicious, Sex Pistols) was found stabbed to death :-)

edit: Turns out it closed down.

In terms of food, NYC is famous for its Pizza. If you can, you should check out Famous Joes. A big hit with the stars.
http://www.joespizzanyc.com/photos.php

Katz Deli is a must too. I'm sure you've seen those sandwiches filled with meat which are bigger than your head. Well this is the place to go for them.
https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/

For something a little more romantic for the two of you. This is the place i went for a meal the night i proposed to the missus. Its close to central park so nice for a little walk after dinner. It is pretty much just a steak house, but its by far THE best steak i have ever had. Its not cheap but its worth it. The food and service was a-grade.
http://www.qualitymeatsnyc.com/menus/dinner/

I know the thought of it is a bit cheesy but if your in the area check out Hard Rock Cafe for something to eat. Its not overly expensive but the food was really good and for a restaurant so huge and typically busy, it was very well organised and smooth.

When it comes to food, i could go on. If you tell me what your looking for, i could probably find you something.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 10:22:19 »

Not an expert on NYC but have been a couple of times. I'd recommend going to the Top of the Rock instead of the Empire State - minimal queues and arguably better views. Might be cheaper too but can't remember.

Free things to do include a good walk around Central Park, and similarly across Brooklyn Bridge. You can always get a taxi in one direction if you want to save some time!

We quite enjoyed the boat tour too, with good views from around the World Trade Centre and Statue of Liberty. I think we went with Circle Line from Pier 16 but there are various options below, and look out for combo deals on the links, e.g. add a couple of other attractions to your boat ticket and save.

https://www.newyorksightseeing.com/nyc-tours/cruises-in-new-york.html

Take a look at what's going on in the evenings too. I had a quick look online and by chance found out that James Vincent McMorrow was playing at Webster Hall (which has sadly now closed). We had a great night out for about $25 per ticket.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 14:16:09 »

Statten Island Ferry is free and gives good views of Manhattan.

Hotels - prices seem to fluctuate, so a place that was cheap suddenly isn't and vice versa.  Hilton Garden Inns are usually ok and budget ish.

Get a subway card for the week - it then gives you unlimited travel, which will be really handy and much less than taxi's - although they have their place as well.

Take some good walking shoes!  A couple of blocks each time soon add up.

Loads of places for food and drink.

If the flights are cheaper, Newark is the best airport - away from NY and a little smaller, so less busy.  Easy to get to from Manhattan.

I concur on the Brooklyn Bridge suggestion - go just before sunset, same for Top of The Rock.

Times Square is nuts, cheesy as hell, still a little hint of seediness and great fun all combined.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 14:16:47 »

Oh, and walk the High Line - maybe even trot over to Hoboken - nice views for an evening meal.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 16:38:47 »

There’s a new Hoxton opening in Williamsburg. That looks nice. Not sure on costs yet.

Thanks for all the advice.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 11:34:13 »

Booked for next April. 5 nights. Norwegian Air. Total incl hotel was around £1100.

Seems like a very good deal!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 11:37:42 »

Booked for next April. 5 nights. Norwegian Air. Total incl hotel was around £1100.

Given the possibilility of a no Brexit deal in March... the Irish PM has said that Irish airspace, might be closed to outward UK flights to the US.... probably sensible to go from Norway.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 11:53:31 »

Ferry to Bergen will be fun
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 11:54:45 »

Surely this should be in the ex-player transfer news thread?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 12:49:09 »

not bad at all.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 13:06:26 »

Don't think you can get a ferry to Bergan anymore?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 13:21:16 »

not bad at all.

Ideally wanted to book for 2020 to coincide for my bday/anniversary but at $89 Pn for a 4 star hotel it was too good to turn down.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: