Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: holidays to NYC  (Read 36464 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:14:48 »

Looking to go to New York in late October, anyone got advice on places to stay that won't cost the earth but aren't hours away from the action? Looked at prices for the place I stayed 5 years ago, but £1600 for flights and accommodation for me and my missus is a little (a lot) too much...

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:32:59 »

Don't stay in Manhattan.

Try over the East River in Queens or Brooklyn, the same standard accommodation is at least 25-30% cheaper than Manhattan as you aren't paying for the address.  If you get a place near a subway station you can be in Manhattan in minutes anyway.

Last time we stayed in Country Inn & Suites - Long Island. Nothing fancy but it was clean, quiet and served the purpose of somewhere to crash, 1 block from Subway station which was 5 mins ride from Manhattan.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:35:03 by Abrahammer » Logged
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:34:08 »

The good thing about new york is that you are never too far away from action.

If money allows, you want to stay around times square, its dead in the middle of everything. That said, have a look around the greenwitch village/east greenwich areas too, they have really build these areas up over the last few years and have a lot of good afordable hotels.

The tube/subway system is great and easy to use, but if you havent been before i would advise of either walking, of get on one of the open top tour buses which are hop on and hop off wherever you please, as many times as you please.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:34:43 »

The good thing about new york is that you are never too far away from action.

If money allows, you want to stay around times square, its dead in the middle of everything. That said, have a look around the greenwitch village/east greenwich areas too, they have really build these areas up over the last few years and have a lot of good afordable hotels.

The tube/subway system is great and easy to use, but if you havent been before i would advise of either walking, of get on one of the open top tour buses which are hop on and hop off wherever you please, as many times as you please.
Just re-read your post that you went 5 years ago. ignore most of my post
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:36:29 »

Looking to go to New York in late October, anyone got advice on places to stay that won't cost the earth but aren't hours away from the action? Looked at prices for the place I stayed 5 years ago, but £1600 for flights and accommodation for me and my missus is a little (a lot) too much...
£1600? Whereabouts and for how long?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:38:19 »

£1600? Whereabouts and for how long?

is that 1600 each or for both of you? If for both of you, thats not half bad. You wont get the prices you were getting 5 years ago.

I rememeber a fair few years back, i got 2 weeks in NYC for 500 quid, thats flight and hotel (ok, hostel)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:40:52 »

The time of year makes a huge difference to prices, they shoot up in December and June to September.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:42:50 »

Have not long returned from staying in this place. It is literally one block from Times Square, and is really cheap for New York. The drawback? The size of the room. It is tiny, if you choose the cheapest rate, for more room (and money) choose the room with 2 beds. Apart from that, it is clean, the staff are brilliant, a reasonable (cold) breakfast buffet is provided, free wifi and the location more than makes up for the tiny room - after all - in NYC most of the time you will be elsewhere. If you are a light sleeper it can be noisy but free ear plugs are provided!!

http://www.econolodgetimessquare.com/

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 19:47:04 »

The New Yorker, right next to Maddison Square Gardens, 4 nights for 2 people. It was one of the more expensive ones! Been before, Amy hasn't. Intend to catch a Rangers game so gonna wait until the NHL schedule is released before booking.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:09:29 »

I'm going here in a few weeks. It's a hostel, but it's cheap and in Manhatten. You can get a private room, ensuite with double bed for a week for under £800

http://www.newyorkbudgetinn.com/

Things get better but they never get good
nochee

« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:19:24 »

Have a look at renting an apartment. It's what we are planning to do in July. 
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:22:39 »

Have a look at renting an apartment. It's what we are planning to do in July. 

Highly advertised and accessible to visitors but I think it's illegal in New York City.

May be wrong.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:25:02 »

We stayed here:

http://www.bw-boweryhanbeehotel.com/

Mrs Donkey is very fussy about hotels and was very happy with it.  It's also in Manhattan, so a great location.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
nochee

« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:32:41 »

Highly advertised and accessible to visitors but I think it's illegal in New York City.

May be wrong.
I can't really see anyone being dragged to Guantanamo bay for it
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 20, 2013, 20:33:47 »

I can't really see anyone being dragged to Guantanamo bay for it

Neither do I.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: