Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Twenty Years Since Wembley ’93...  (Read 6109 times)
the washbag

Ignore
« on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:12:37 »

Throughout May we'll be publishing a series of series of blogs, features and a special podcast celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 1993 Division One Play Off Final.

The articles can all be viewed via this link http://thewashbag.com/category/features/twenty-years-since-wembley-93/

[url width=900 height=554]http://fraserdigbyswashbag.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/1993-play-off-final-i-was-there.png[/url]

the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:14:19 »

With today the 20th anniversary of the Play Off Semi-Final first leg against Tranmere Rovers, here's Brendan Hobbs' reflections of that match including full match video (courtesy of swindon-town-fc.co.uk)

http://thewashbag.com/2013/05/16/twenty-years-since-wembley-93-swindon-3-tranmere-rovers-1/

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:25:13 »

At both  Too Cool

20 years!  Sad
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:54:25 »

Obviously getting to Wembley winning promotion to the top division was a fantastic achievement all round.

However, it's quite sad that 20years on the only thing we have worth celebrating is its anniversary.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 07:57:18 by DV Canio » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 08:10:25 »

One thing with us though is that most seasons are exciting for the right or the wrong reasons. We could get success and end up being one of those plodding clubs that maintains mid to lower table position in a higher league, or in oxfords case, the basement leagues.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 08:14:25 »

Obviously getting to Wembley winning promotion to the top division was a fantastic achievement all round.

However, it's quite sad that 20years on the only thing we have worth celebrating is its anniversary.

Well, when we spent our parachute payment on Joey Beauchump what hope did we have.

We've had chance after chance to build on our success but we always end up getting run by some sort of shysters who piss it all away.

Deja vu, anybody?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 08:35:02 »

One thing with us though is that most seasons are exciting for the right or the wrong reasons. We could get success and end up being one of those plodding clubs that maintains mid to lower table position in a higher league, or in oxfords case, the basement leagues.

Oldham have been in League 1 for nearly 20 years now, don't think they have even got in the playoffs.

That must be fucking boring
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 08:50:05 »

We won Div 3 under Mcmahon and Div 4 under di Canio...surely even you must have raised a small cheer when these were achieved...maybe even gathered in the crowd outside the Civic, to give the jolly Scouser a wave.

What is annoying is that in that time we've gone from regarding the PO's as friend to now dreading them.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 09:19:29 »

I believe today is also the anniversary of a Town victory over Juventus.

Re the playoffs...20 years ago...fucking hell!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 09:19:50 »

Oldham have been in League 1 for nearly 20 years now, don't think they have even got in the playoffs.

That must be fucking boring

They average around 3-4k crowds as well, which probably backs up your claim.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 10:02:25 »

We've had some good years, some dull years and some bad years. We've won two league titles and had a promotion, some memorable play-off games (not all of them for the right reasons) and a few cup runs.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 11:01:57 »

Reminiscing about the good times is not sad at all. Regardless of where you see STFC in the general pecking order we're a lower league club so events like this should be savoured. Big club fans might see it as a bit sad but most have us have given up caring what they think anyway.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 11:07:58 »

Reminiscing about the good times is not sad at all.

I thought he meant it was a shame we have achieved nothing of note since 93. Not that looking back is sad.

I'd say our two (could have been 3) Wembley visits over the last few years, cup runs and a couple of promotions (1 league title)  have been good highlights.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 13:07:58 »

We won Div 3 under Mcmahon and Div 4 under di Canio...surely even you must have raised a small cheer when these were achieved...maybe even gathered in the crowd outside the Civic, to give the jolly Scouser a wave.

What is annoying is that in that time we've gone from regarding the PO's as friend to now dreading them.

Arguably two divisions we shouldn't have been in to start with if people had done their jobs properly in the first place

I thought he meant it was a shame we have achieved nothing of note since 93. Not that looking back is sad.

Indeed, I thought that was fairly clear on my part, maybe not.

Even worse if we're having this conversation in 10 years time as well.
kaufman

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 13:17:16 »

Just found this footage of Napoli fans in our meeting years ago.
So the clip claims anyway.
I've translated the info

San Paolo Stadium, Naples (Italy): general view of the players of the Swindon Town by lifting the trophy after defeating Napoli in the final of the championship anglo-italian. General view of the incidents and destruction caused by the fans of Napoli to lose the final; destroy part of the facilities of the rostrum and light up several banks with fire. General View of photographers and cameramen covering the news in the field of the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: