Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Kevin MacDonald positive on Swindon Town stay  (Read 18143 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:41:32 »

The problem with the gut instinct approach, is that it often fails to take account of time and circumstances. Two managers spring to mind, neither of whom were much liked spring to mind....Fred Ford and Dave Mackay. Ford got us 5th in Div 2, at the time our highest ever finish and won the Anglo Italian Cup, but he was seen a Bristol man having managed both clubs....a bit old and a bit grey.

Mackay was loathed by many as he attempted to break up the 69 squad....nevertheless a couple of years after leaving us he did win the League in 75 with Derby, thus being the only STFC manager to have that gong on his CV. So presumably he must have some quality.

Quiz question: Mackay also won the League with Spurs as a player, who are the only other 2 STFC managers to have done so?

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:45:46 »

Colin Todd and Andy king?
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:47:23 »

I am very much in the 'Give Mac a chance' clan.  The behind-the-scenes chaos of the last four months must have made working in the club virtually impossible, despite what various players etc have said.  Uncertainty about the future, rumours of dodgy activity, never completely clear of the threat of administration to derail any success achieved (and it would have almost certainly have involved enforced relegation or even ejection from the FL), the nasty tastes left from the di Canio departure (regardless of where blame lies for that)......  

It is remarkable that the football team, including KMac, managed to keep focussed enough to be in the play-offs and only to fail by the meagrest of margins to get the promotion we all longed for (but which could have been a disaster, given that we still know nothing about finances and plans from the board).  KMac himself, as has been pointed out, has had to work with a squad sometimes of no more than 14 or 15 fit players, and the loss of our iconic right winger (whose football may not have been match-winning all the time, but who had the 'X factor' in terms of morale etc).  Mistakes? He's made a few... who wouldn't, not knowing the players and having so little choice?  (People keep criticising him for keeping Collins on the subs bench, but di Canio did exactly the same for much of the 1st half of the season, especially when Martin arrived.)  A number of players have talked positively about his training methods, and we all (more or less) approve of the youth policy.  So let's give him a close season to build what he can and see what comes out at the end and then make a more informed judgement

I haven't bought a season ticket, not because my support is any less for the team or the club generally, and I will be there to support whatever players appear next season; but my reservations about the board expressed elsewhere remain strong and I am not going to put money into their pockets until those reservations are alleviated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:48:16 »

Todd...yes King ...no
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:49:51 »

Mackay was loathed by many as he attempted to break up the 69 squad....nevertheless a couple of years after leaving us he did win the League in 75 with Derby, thus being the only STFC manager to have that gong on his CV. So presumably he must have some quality.

Do you remember his assistant Des Anderson?

He is my mates Great Uncle and i met him the other day.  Was hoping to chat to him about his time with us but he is a bit shot pieces these days unfortunately
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:51:59 »

THere's another one...how could I have forgotten? So should be 3.

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:57:37 »

Mucmahon is one
Flashheart

« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:58:43 »

Hoddle?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:59:19 »

Mucmahon is one

Yep.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 08:59:56 »

Hoddle?

No.
Flashheart

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 09:01:33 »

Oooh, I know.

It's Micky Hazard
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 09:04:12 »

MacDonald?

Confused by the question, are we naming Town managers who won the first division as a player whilst at Spurs or any former Town manager who has won the first division as a player?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 09:19:26 »

If its town managers who have won the league (be it 1st or PL) then there is more than 3.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 09:19:49 »

Kmac did indeed win the title with Liverpool in 86.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 09:24:57 »

And Les Allen of course the great double winning team of 61.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: