Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who to keep and who to bin  (Read 15207 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 21:44:53 »

People are blind when it comes to Roberts quality. Best deliverer of a ball at the club. 2 assists yesterday for example.

The guy would be in pretty much any league one squad and he needs to be kept in ours.
Good, so it will be easy to shift the useless cunt then.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 22:37:45 »

On the basis that he's on at least 10k a week that year would be worth just over 1/2 million. Wink
Not quite 10k but not miles off...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 12:11:17 »

People are blind when it comes to Roberts quality. Best deliverer of a ball at the club. 2 assists yesterday for example.

The guy would be in pretty much any league one squad and he needs to be kept in ours.

People are forgetful how long it took him to have a few decent games.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 12:24:20 »

People are forgetful how long it took him to have a few decent games.

He's looked better since Ritchie left, however IIRC even Di Canio called him expensive!
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 12:27:25 »

I would keep (would like to try and keep):

Wes
Flint
Thompson
Ward
Ferry
Collins
Benson
L. Thompson
Williams (good player in there somewhere)
Storey
Bedwell

Not fussed/would allow to leave (f it didn't cost us):

L Rooney
A Rooney
TAH
Rafa
Byrne (not sure if he's signed?)

Would let go/allow to leave:

Miller
Navarro
Jmac
Roberts (wages)
Caddis (to generate some £'s)

Add the 5 youths who have just signed pro deals to the keep lot and you've got 16. Add 3 or 4 loans/free's and I wouldn't be too despondent with that.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 12:37:12 »

He's looked better since Ritchie left, however IIRC even Di Canio called him expensive!

I like him when he performs. I think he'll be here next season, I think people are over-estimating how easy it is to 'get rid' of players.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 13:14:27 »

I like him when he performs. I think he'll be here next season, I think people are over-estimating how easy it is to 'get rid' of players.

It's really quite a straightforward situation...all out of contract players will leave bar N Thompson. All in contact players will stay unless we receive a suitable offer, then they will be sold. Players going will be replaced youth team players.  That should keep us under the wage cap and also allow for the wages to be paid.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 13:23:48 »

It's really quite a straightforward situation...all out of contract players will leave bar N Thompson. All in contact players will stay unless we receive a suitable offer, then they will be sold. Players going will be replaced youth team players.  That should keep us under the wage cap and also allow for the wages to be paid.

I can see us keeping L.Thompson/Miles as well as Nathan, they certainly wont be a bank breakers. We have options on Flint and Ferry so we would be stupid to not activate those and then sell if we have to. I think we could pick up a little bit of cash for both Ferry and Flint.

Realistically there will be a large turnover of players, I just hope it is done in a methodical way and not just a rushed shedding of players to ease the budget.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 14:01:36 »

Letting Flint and Ferry leave on a free would be a ridiculous decision imo. Both still reasonably young and been important for us this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 14:50:09 »

Letting Flint and Ferry leave on a free would be a ridiculous decision imo. Both still reasonably young and been important for us this season.

When you get in a mess, ridiculous decisions happen.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 15:05:59 »

When you get in a mess, ridiculous decisions happen.

So you really think Jed and the boys are that skint?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 15:19:05 »

So you really think Jed and the boys are that skint?

Seen or heard nothing so far to make me think otherwise.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 15:53:56 »

Surely the point is we have to live within our means.

If Black was funding us to the tune of £1m a season (don't know if this is the right number but seems about right), we would need to cut our overall costs by that amount, or sell players to generate part of that amount.

On the basis that we can probably save over 250k not paying extortionate agents fees, a little squad trimming & no transfer fees out I don't see why the whole squad needs to be sold.

I guess one problem may be keeping the better players in the knowledge that we are unlikely to be a team challenging for promotion.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 16:24:30 »

If Black was funding us to the tune of £1m a season (don't know if this is the right number but seems about right), we would need to cut our overall costs by that amount, or sell players to generate part of that amount.

On the basis that we can probably save over 250k not paying extortionate agents fees, a little squad trimming & no transfer fees out I don't see why the whole squad needs to be sold.

I guess one problem may be keeping the better players in the knowledge that we are unlikely to be a team challenging for promotion.

You're assuming that with a bit of trimming, the level of performance can be maintained...the last few seasons, even 09/10 had its moments, have been decent in generating income from TV, the odd cup run, good league performances and a positive buzz around the place.  It is possible, to keep that going, but perhaps more likely we'll start to see a drift away of crowds etc. Maybe a coincidence that the Brentford home crowd was down on previous PO 1st legs, but perhaps indicative of a feeling that things aren't great behind the scene.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 17:43:56 »

The problem is the contracted players are probably the highest earners. We all know what footballers are like, they rarely take wage cuts.

And Paolo Di Canio's wages. Also, agents fees were £450k in our league 2 season from what I've read.

But given the fact none of us even know what the turnover was last year, it's all supposition.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: