Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 621945 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 09:28:10 »

Its like Eliott Benyon all over again!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 16:57:35 »

Surely that would encourage defensive players at least to use the whole of their arm as a defensive shield knowing that a ref is going to find it very difficult to spot the ball having 100% contact with such a small part of the body with the ball travelling at very high speed in a game where players are moving very fast in free flowing football or in a crowded penalty area. You’ll have to use VAR, which in the next sentence you would like to see only used for ‘goal line & off the ball incidents‘. Add in the ‘was it deliberate’ or ‘ball to had/hand to ball’ element and you’re potentially opening up a can of worms.

Then it needs renaming to arm ball😁 We never had this problem during the 70's,80's & 90's etc and it can't all be blamed on having more camera angles.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 5, 2020, 18:15:44 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 18:18:12 »

I've always argued that the simplest way to handle this, pun intended, is to treat it like the ball hitting a foot in Basketball.  If people want to spend the game trying to force a handball from someone, let them, they'll soon lose their place as they'll be next to useless in the game as a result.

You probably should just limit it to the actual hand - after all, it's the only part of the body that provides greater control and therefore an advantage, so it makes sense to rule that out.  Hitting your elbow is a game of chance, you get no real advantage in the grand scheme of things than you do my using your foot or your head.

So - handball for hitting the hand ONLY but given regardless of intent.  Sorted.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: Monday, October 5, 2020, 18:26:13 »

I've always argued that the simplest way to handle this, pun intended, is to treat it like the ball hitting a foot in Basketball.  If people want to spend the game trying to force a handball from someone, let them, they'll soon lose their place as they'll be next to useless in the game as a result.

You probably should just limit it to the actual hand - after all, it's the only part of the body that provides greater control and therefore an advantage, so it makes sense to rule that out.  Hitting your elbow is a game of chance, you get no real advantage in the grand scheme of things than you do my using your foot or your head.

So - handball for hitting the hand ONLY but given regardless of intent.  Sorted.

Spot on Pint

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:12:24 »

https://twitter.com/STFCStore/status/1314135070949756928?s=20
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: Friday, October 9, 2020, 11:24:26 »

https://twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1314528242108452866?s=20
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 11:20:21 »

Marines keeper being snapped in full kit on the way back from the offy with beers after their victory over Havant & Waterlooville - got Spurs in the next round.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 01:23:27 »

Jimmy Greaves finally receives recognition for his contribution to England's World Cup '66 exploits by being named in the New Year Honours list fto be made an MBE.

Long time coming that. He always used to have a good thing or two to say about Town so hat's off to you Mr Greaves. Muchly deserved.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 15:12:32 »

I think that as it is the handball rule is fine. You need the elbow etc inlcuded otherwise players will just start blocking shots with them.

The law says that it's handball when deliberate. That means moving your hand/arm towards the ball on purpose, or having your hands/arms positioned so that they can block the ball. The ones you see given where a striker blasts a ball and it hits a hand of a defender, close to their body, who's charged it down, with no possible way of it being deliberate, are just ridiculous and I've not idea how they can be justified as 'deliberate'.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 16:19:55 »

https://twitter.com/Copa90/status/1346766438196011008?s=20
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: Monday, January 18, 2021, 09:44:59 »

There should be more trumpet playing in football!!

https://twitter.com/Athletic_en/status/1350936667276898304?s=20
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 18:31:01 »

Premier League to start trialling concussion subs from next week

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12193523/premier-league-votes-to-implement-permanent-concussion-substitutes
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 03:27:34 »

Chapecoense winning the Brasileiro Série B title on a GD to just one, in the final game of the campaign with a 90+7mins PANENKA style penalty from Ramon to win 3-1 versus AD Confianca.

Now it may come under scrutiny, with such a crucial decision sealing the fate and Brazilian football is not without controversy. You have to feel for América-MG who likely thought all they would have to do is win, which they duly did in their final match 2-1 versus Avaí.

Though it is quite a story in their seemingly very dramatic and short history. Many of you will have previously recognised the name Chapecoense, after tragedy struck the whole team in a plane crash in 2016 whilst on the way to play the Copa Sudamericana Final. Most of the squad died and several teams from Série A helped them rebuild by loaning them players and were awarded the Sudamericana at the request of opponents Atlético Nacional.

Before then Chape weren't really a team on my own radar very often, despite enjoying watching South American football but since then I always kept an eye on their results. This title win signals a return to Série A for Chape and probably a much needed break for the whole team and community that likely surround the tragic elements of this club. Something to celebrate that I'm certain will very much happen.

It made me reflect on the elation at Town when we won our L2 *title and how things are here currently. I can only hope that Chape go on to enjoy a fruitful following season as they find themselves "again amongst giants".

A few things made me smile, despite all mentioned above was the celebratory music played at the FT whistle. Late 90s style graphics appeared on the screen announcing Chape as "Série B Champions" and the music was nothing short of a Polyphonic Ringtone jingle! The official twitter was also nothing short of a typical Brazilian commentary https://twitter.com/ChapecoenseReal/status/1355343012277215236 but here's the moment Chape clinch the title via that last gasp Panenka...

Vamos Chape!  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 10:37:52 »

Nice touch from Wycombe. https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1356248592147750912?s=20
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 09:55:04 »

In general Sean Dyche is the answer to this thread but this is particularly brilliant

https://twitter.com/BurnleyOfficial/status/1356674999646576641?s=07
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: