Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 622118 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #960 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 11:21:50 »

I liked the Manor Ground. It was a shithole, but it oozed character. Perhaps not the kind of character you would want to be oozing, but oozing it was.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 12:23:09 »

I liked the Manor Ground. It was a shithole, but it oozed character. Perhaps not the kind of character you would want to be oozing, but oozing it was.

Which stand of the 13 they had did you like the most?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 12:41:15 »

I still have my copy of "The Football Grounds of England and Wales" (1985). A couple of (admittedly selective) extracts that I particularly enjoy:

"Rather like Reading itself, Elm Park contains little of interest."

"With scarcely an arresting detail inside the ground and nothing of note visible beyond, Elm Park is probably the least interesting ground in the Football League."

"Nor is the Manor Ground everyone's idea of what a football ground should be. But then, as George Bernard Shaw wrote in Man and Superman, 'Very nice sort of place, Oxford, I should think, for people that like that sort of place'."

Smiley

I think I might have had that or something similar.  The one i had concluded that the Chelsea three tier effort would be the past of it's kind as clubs wouldn't spend that type of money on stadia anymore.  Maybe it was a slightly later version.  Less than two decades later you get stadia like Arsenal's.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 13:04:57 »

Quite pleased Sheff Utd are a game away from the Prem. What a job Chris Wilder has done there, i thought he was a shit manager according to the lot down the road
Flashheart

« Reply #964 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 13:20:14 »

I remember him complaining about us overspending, only to find out a year later that he was overspending even more.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 14:19:12 »

I think I might have had that or something similar.  The one i had concluded that the Chelsea three tier effort would be the past of it's kind as clubs wouldn't spend that type of money on stadia anymore.  Maybe it was a slightly later version.  Less than two decades later you get stadia like Arsenal's.

I remember getting freebies for that new Chelsea triple decker, right at the top... v Palace.  I suffer with acrophobia, so not the best spot... like watching ants.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #966 on: Friday, April 26, 2019, 14:23:28 »

I remember getting freebies for that new Chelsea triple decker, right at the top... v Palace.  I suffer with acrophobia, so not the best spot... like watching ants.
Although mine isn't too bad I have an element of that.

I get that at the top of the DRS, never get it at Wembley though must be the raking of the stand.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 16:56:34 »

Marcus Cassidy does it again:

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/town-win-grounds-team-of-the-year/

Peter Venkman

« Reply #968 on: Wednesday, May 1, 2019, 17:00:09 »

Deservedly so, when you see some of the terrible pitches we have played on this year, Newport and Oldham in recent weeks spring to mind, as well as Tranmere, Northampton etc our pitch is always stunning.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #969 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 09:57:45 »

Even though I don't like the manager Mansfield have sold 4,500 for their 2 hour drive away trip to MKD on Saturday thats a brilliant turn out by a team that have barely managed that at home most of the season. All that to watch the hoofball played by Flipflop too.

I see Notts County have sold around 1,900 for their trip to the CG on Saturday as they prepare to fall out of the league.

The away support in L2 this season has been pretty good.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 10:23:23 »

Even though I don't like the manager Mansfield have sold 4,500 for their 2 hour drive away trip to MKD on Saturday thats a brilliant turn out by a team that have barely managed that at home most of the season. All that to watch the hoofball played by Flipflop too.

I see Notts County have sold around 1,900 for their trip to the CG on Saturday as they prepare to fall out of the league.

The away support in L2 this season has been pretty good.

Mansfield to MK is fairly easy though, its M1 ll the way!

Rather embarrassingly Franchise have averaged 1300 per game more than the apparently sleeping giant of STFC this season, likewise Notts County despite their incredibly shit season have averaged nearly 1000 higher per game than us and their home form is a good bit worse than ours!
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 17:34:14 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48256463
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: Friday, June 7, 2019, 11:39:20 »

Pinched from the "What's wrong" thread, thought this deserved to go in here, QPR have gifted the naming rights to their ground to a charity set up in memory of one of their Academy players who was stabbed to death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48544778
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: Monday, June 17, 2019, 10:31:28 »

Norwich putting a cap of £30 on ticket prices for Premier League games next season

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/12/norwich-announce-ticket-price-cap-30-home-games-ahead-premier/
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: Monday, June 17, 2019, 11:43:10 »

Fuck em.  I spent a week there on my recent take that stint (working obviously) and they were useless.  So fuck em.  I want them to go down now.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: