Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 621998 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 12:41:38 »

It was done on the quiet but I think Islam Feruz was released by Chelsea last month.

They'll be regretting that now  Smiley

A future LS guest?

To be fair his story will be really interesting, a kid from an African heritage growing up in Scotland, getting your football education at Celtic etc.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 21:45:19 »

Real Madrid getting stuffed at home to Ajax and Sergio Ramos’ ploy of getting booked in the first leg so he’d be sure to be available for the quarter final backfiring spectacularly. 
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 22:20:18 »

That was a lovely cherry on the top. Ajax were superb. Enjoyed Man U's comeback tonight too. The Champions League is so good once it gets past the groups.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 22:21:25 »

United a tad fortunate there. But great drama!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 09:13:26 »

If you can't enjoy a dubious injury time winner going against a team lead by Neymar and bankrolled by a human rights vacuum then I think football is not for you. I'm not sure I've stopped laughing yet.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 09:30:46 »

Using VAR for handballs I think is a recipe for disaster. Almost every 'handball' in slow motion looks deliberate but when played at full speed looks so much more accidental.

I think the rules really need to be looked at and defined. Its a tough one for sure.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 09:31:09 »

If you can't enjoy a dubious injury time winner going against a team lead by Neymar and bankrolled by a human rights vacuum then I think football is not for you. I'm not sure I've stopped laughing yet.

Very good.... even I as Man U hater since the early 70's had a little laugh.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 09:36:52 »

Using VAR for handballs I think is a recipe for disaster. Almost every 'handball' in slow motion looks deliberate but when played at full speed looks so much more accidental.

I think the rules really need to be looked at and defined. Its a tough one for sure.

I get where you are coming from, however, I am really confidant that the VAR team and ref saw the ‘offence’ in real time as well as slow mo. FWIW the second the ball hit the player I said to my Mrs that is was penalty and PSG had a get out of jail free card on that one. The rest is now history.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 19:01:08 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 10:00:51 »

The rules group, have just done that. The natural silouette thing.  In that interpretation, it's a handball, intent doesn't come into it.... Kimpembe made himself bigger and blocked the ball therefore handball.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 11:05:39 »

Its nice to see plucky little Man Utd getting a bit of luck against the big boys.....  Hmmm
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 11:45:50 »

I think a lot of handballs given in the box are harsh, bordering on ridiculous, but to me it looked like Kimpembe's arm was outstretched as he faced Dalot, then he turned his back and held his arm there. Like Rag says, he made himself bigger by putting his arm out. For that reason I'd say it's a fair decision.

Neymar's come out and said "It's a disgrace. Four guys who know nothing about football watch a slow-motion replay in front of the television" which makes it even sweeter. If it had been at the other end and not been given, he'd have said the same.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 12:31:37 »

Yup. Can't stand Utd, but that is what football is all about. I was listening on the radio in the car driving my eldest home from training and giving his mate a lift home on the way. We pulled up at his mate's house as the pen was given and then sat outside his house listening to it, as no way his mate was going in and missing hearing the pen being taken. Pure drama
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 15:05:47 »

I've never understood why you don't just make it clear cut - hits your hand, foul.  Like Basketball does with feet.  If players want to wast opportunities by trying to get the ball to hit your hand, they'll more than pay for it by failing to create goal scoring opportunities - nobody goes looking to play a ball off feet in basketball.

When you play the game, every time it hits your hand or arm you think you are going to be blown-up against by the ref, that's how I always felt.  Even if you didn't mean it.

Maybe make it below the elbow only - you can't catch the ball above the elbow very easily so you have a differentiation with the role of a keeper.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 20:27:53 »

I think the handball law is easy to understand but the waters are muddied by commentators, pundits, and the odd ref.

It was an absolutely turd bit of defending from Kimpembe, something a child would do.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 21:08:48 »

I'm old skool.  I'd prefer the offside rule to either be abolished or enforced for anyone offside - none of this interfering, active etc.  Make it simple.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: