Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 622020 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #555 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 17:40:07 »

That is such an incredibly generous gesture by the French club, much respect to them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 17:44:29 »

That is such an incredibly generous gesture by the French club, much respect to them.
PSG soures have denied it so not sure it's true. Either way I don't know how you go about rebuilding a club after a disaster like this, sport pales into insignificance.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 20:35:50 »

PSG soures have denied it so not sure it's true. Either way I don't know how you go about rebuilding a club after a disaster like this, sport pales into insignificance.
Or maybe the sport rises to even greater significance? A football club can be the heart of a community and therefore something that many can use as a foundation for support and togetherness. The shared experiences of football fans makes empathy/sympathy a lot more relevant - I suspect a lot of us old enough to remember Bradford and Hillsborough may have thought at the time 'there but for the grace of...'. There certainly seemed to be a lot more sympathy amongst football fans than the press, for example (that's not to say all football fans felt the same way though). Having a goal/purpose such as rebuilding a club may well play an important part in the lives of those affected by the tragedy.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 20:59:07 »

Or maybe the sport rises to even greater significance? A football club can be the heart of a community and therefore something that many can use as a foundation for support and togetherness. The shared experiences of football fans makes empathy/sympathy a lot more relevant - I suspect a lot of us old enough to remember Bradford and Hillsborough may have thought at the time 'there but for the grace of...'. There certainly seemed to be a lot more sympathy amongst football fans than the press, for example (that's not to say all football fans felt the same way though). Having a goal/purpose such as rebuilding a club may well play an important part in the lives of those affected by the tragedy.
In the long term I'd agree, but it's very very different situation to Bradford and Hillsborough. They've lost their entire squad, management, coaching staff etc I wouldn't even know where to start. It'll be months before they'll even be able to contemplate rebuilding the club I would have thought, a very tragic and unprecedented situation in modern football.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Thursday, December 1, 2016, 09:06:58 »

So the supporters of Athletico Nacional turned up for the postponed game and did this....

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/watch-atletico-nacionals-touching-live-tribute-to-chapecoense-from-site-of-copa-final-113016
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Monday, December 12, 2016, 17:39:19 »

Wasn't sure where to put this but I thought it was quite an interesting read.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jack-lester-111330020.html

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Monday, December 12, 2016, 18:26:09 »

Yes, a good read.
Wonder if our youth setup works to similar principles, would be good if they did.
Some parents of aspiring starlets might also benefit from being educated along similar lines.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #562 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 09:08:11 »

"And if you’re the parent who demand all these young kids act as role models for your children, you need to understand that you’re asking a young lad who is a product of his environment to see through the distractions and media haze and become a beacon of humanity with a scribble of a signature - and you’re going to be let down."

Powerful stuff.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 12:50:08 »

So the supporters of Athletico Nacional turned up for the postponed game and did this....

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/watch-atletico-nacionals-touching-live-tribute-to-chapecoense-from-site-of-copa-final-113016

Chapecoense have been fined for not fielding a team despite it being agreed they wouldn't
Flashheart

« Reply #564 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 13:02:25 »

No they have not! It's (yet more) bullshit from the media.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 17:57:24 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38331624

Nice touch, and the restaurant is quite nice as well (used to work round the corner from it in Manchester) although a little big footballer blingy!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 12:43:31 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-38322612

Such a sad story. Little Bradley has such an amazing smile.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 13:14:41 »

No they have not! It's (yet more) bullshit from the media.
Its the click bait sites such as 90min.com you need to watch out for. Every day on twitter you see headlines like "Top Man United star is shock transfer target to Premier League rivals" Turns out it Adnan Januzaj off to West Brom.
Panda Paws

« Reply #568 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 16:27:42 »

Its the click bait sites such as 90min.com you need to watch out for. Every day on twitter you see headlines like "Top Man United star is shock transfer target to Premier League rivals" Turns out it Adnan Januzaj off to West Brom.

90min is interesting. Originally developed to be completely non-clickbait. It's an "open" platform for football writers to monetise their writing thorugh rev share based on hits, originally designed to attract long-form content and other good writing by offering another way of monetising.

Very quickly taken over by content pushers in bed with social media MCNs though.

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 23:07:42 »

90min is interesting. Originally developed to be completely non-clickbait. It's an "open" platform for football writers to monetise their writing thorugh rev share based on hits, originally designed to attract long-form content and other good writing by offering another way of monetising.

Very quickly taken over by content pushers in bed with social media MCNs though.

It's almost like you work in this field or something.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: