Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 145   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 626553 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 16:03:23 »

I know its all over the net and some people are probably fed up with it but you have to give Jermaine Defoe a massive amount of respect for his actions during this whole saga. He has gone up in my estimations, shame more of these "football heroes" don't behave like he has.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2017-05-19/jemain-defoe-arrives-at-best-mate-bradleys-party/

Certainly. I also think there is a lot of this stuff that does go on but doesn't get reported as much. I love these stories because it also shows that many sports stars/famous people are regular, generous, and empathetic humans. The issue is media because lets face it; "£200k pw Footballer in sex and drink scandal" sells ashamedly more than "Professional sports star gives 50% of earnings to charity and trusts."

Tis a shame.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: Monday, May 22, 2017, 09:58:19 »

Safe standing spreading to the USA. This is now the third US stadium to incorporate it. Hearts apparently considering it too up in Jockland.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/20/lafcs-supporters-form-umbrella-group-club-announces-safe-standing-section
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 17:10:03 »

I know its all over the net and some people are probably fed up with it but you have to give Jermaine Defoe a massive amount of respect for his actions during this whole saga. He has gone up in my estimations, shame more of these "football heroes" don't behave like he has.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2017-05-19/jemain-defoe-arrives-at-best-mate-bradleys-party/

It's a great thing.

Also it should be a completely normal thing. Maybe it is, but they keep it low-key. Premiership footballers paid over a certain amount should have an obligation to charity. They have so much spare time and money.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: Friday, May 26, 2017, 12:15:36 »

Ignore the fact its DM and this gives a really refreshing insight into the rise of Kante.

Nice to see there are still footballer out there who like to stay out of the lime light and dont take their fortunes for granted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4542624/How-N-Golo-Kante-went-Division-9-serial-winner.html
« Last Edit: Friday, May 26, 2017, 12:29:13 by Chubbs » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: Saturday, May 27, 2017, 21:05:52 »

Victor Moses getting sent off for diving in the FA cup final was a very satisfying moment, fair play to the ref for making the call
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: Saturday, May 27, 2017, 21:47:55 »

yup, totally thought he'd got it wrong until the replay. spot on though
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 09:23:16 »

Moses did the same in the semi final too. Got away with it as Son was stupid and left his leg out.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 10:13:22 »

Reading still being in the Championship.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 10:59:06 »

Talking of playoffs, I'm off to see 1860 Munich play Regensburg tonight. First leg last week ended 1-1, so the winner tonight will play in the second tier next year.  A fairly local derby, over 60,000 expected in the Allianz Arena.

Although I've seen various European matches here involving visiting British teams in the last 17 years, and a few World Cup games in 2006, this will be my first "league game". 

Relegation for 1860 would be a disaster, Regensburg haven't lost an away game since last November.

There could be the Mother of all Parties in Munich tonight, on the other hand the 1860 fans could turn ugly...

Should be fun...
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 19:53:34 »

Talking of playoffs, I'm off to see 1860 Munich play Regensburg tonight. First leg last week ended 1-1, so the winner tonight will play in the second tier next year.  A fairly local derby, over 60,000 expected in the Allianz Arena.

Although I've seen various European matches here involving visiting British teams in the last 17 years, and a few World Cup games in 2006, this will be my first "league game". 

Relegation for 1860 would be a disaster, Regensburg haven't lost an away game since last November.

There could be the Mother of all Parties in Munich tonight, on the other hand the 1860 fans could turn ugly...

Should be fun...

It was indeed fun, up to the kick-off, and some of the 1860 fans did turn ugly.

Good atmosphere before the game, great music and a stadium announcer on the pitch who's been doing it for years and had the 1860 fans eating out of his hands.  1860 have some stirring club songs which everyone joined in with and both home and away fans joined together to sing You'll never walk alone. All good stuff.

Then the game started, and Regensburg were the better team. They had a good defence, attacked quickly and in numbers, and scored two goals in the first half. 1860 just had a good stadium announcer.

Half way through the second half the photographers started leaving the end 1860 were allegedly attacking, i.e. where their hard-core fans were. With about 20 minutes to go a firework was thrown on the pitch from that end, followed by a few seats etc. The ref took the players off and riot police replaced the stewards. More seats were thrown on the pitch but after about 15 minutes the game restarted. Several more seats were thrown into the penalty area, even while corners were being taken, the players just throwing them off the pitch. Quite bizarre, a bit like the bad old 70's in England.

The game eventually finished, leaving the 1860 players holding their heads, the goalkeeper lying face down for at least 5 minutes. We left then, with the Regensburg players and fans obviously enjoying their promotion.  There wasn't any apparent hostility between the fans, although there may well have been other trouble after the game.

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 23:57:57 »

Was there the expected 60k attendance? That's a hell of a crowd for a Div 2/3 decider.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 06:58:44 »

62,200 was the attendance shown on the stadium screens. Tickets from €11

Partly because of the way the leagues are structured, a total of five 1860 teams have been relegated. Reserves, U17 etc.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 07:09:32 by Munichred » Logged
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 07:06:44 »

It was indeed fun, up to the kick-off, and some of the 1860 fans did turn ugly.

Good atmosphere before the game, great music and a stadium announcer on the pitch who's been doing it for years and had the 1860 fans eating out of his hands.  1860 have some stirring club songs which everyone joined in with and both home and away fans joined together to sing You'll never walk alone. All good stuff.

Then the game started, and Regensburg were the better team. They had a good defence, attacked quickly and in numbers, and scored two goals in the first half. 1860 just had a good stadium announcer.

Half way through the second half the photographers started leaving the end 1860 were allegedly attacking, i.e. where their hard-core fans were. With about 20 minutes to go a firework was thrown on the pitch from that end, followed by a few seats etc. The ref took the players off and riot police replaced the stewards. More seats were thrown on the pitch but after about 15 minutes the game restarted. Several more seats were thrown into the penalty area, even while corners were being taken, the players just throwing them off the pitch. Quite bizarre, a bit like the bad old 70's in England.

The game eventually finished, leaving the 1860 players holding their heads, the goalkeeper lying face down for at least 5 minutes. We left then, with the Regensburg players and fans obviously enjoying their promotion.  There wasn't any apparent hostility between the fans, although there may well have been other trouble after the game.

Not really suitable now for "What's right with football ", but just to update how big a disaster this defeat was for 1860.

The club's major investor refused to pay the necessary c€5 million licence fee to play in the third division, meaning the club will be playing in the fourth (amateur) division next season, and not in the Allianz Arena. (Rent was being paid to the owners Bayern Munich). Essentially, 1860 as a professional football club is no more.   Angry
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 07:49:27 »

Bloody hell' that is a hell of a drop for a once proud club. I can remember watching them as 10/11 year old in the Cup Winners Cup final of 64/65 and a great team, beaten by 2 Alan Sealey goals for West Ham. Will they ever recover?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 08:18:26 »

Even the German model has wanky owners then.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 ... 145   Go Up
Print
Jump to: