Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 289917 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 22:25:13 »

We played them away in the FA Cup in the 90s I think. We were in lower sections and the Watford fans above. Gobbed on us incessantly.

Filthy fuckers. Hated them ever since.

I remember a Chalky hat trick and a beauty from Hoddle.  'Bring on the Geordies' we sang.  They did, and we beat them too.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Jimmy Quinn

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 22:44:09 »

I remember a Chalky hat trick and a beauty from Hoddle.  'Bring on the Geordies' we sang.  They did, and we beat them too.

91/92 Swindon 3 Watford 2 Shearer 2 Mitchell 1
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19920601
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1262 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 23:40:48 »

Yeah, that too.  Smiley

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: Monday, July 27, 2020, 10:33:21 »

Re Watford.  Up until the millenium, they were our most played opponent.  The classic game being the 1-0 (Endean is a wanker) loss which gave them the Div 3 title leaving us as runners up. In the few years before that there had been a bit of trouble between some fans, I recall a mate getting his hair set on fire at Vicarage Road.

For the biggest ever league crowd game at the CG 28,898, there was a possee of Wovers fans who turned up, as they'd had some problems with Watford, probably the only time I've seen such an event.

Having that bit of a reputation it was what prompted Watford to go down the family route.... the policy decision which probably enabled them to become reasonably successful for a small club.   Whereas in the 70's clubs like ourselves shed fans because of trouble, Watford managed to build a different base.

A classic example of new Watford fan was a fella worked with when living  in N London..... a single chap, I went to watch Spurs in Div 1 , where you still had that edge of bovver, he went to watch Watford in Div 4, as he could take his young sons at a decent price trouble free.

OK it's been a while since we played them but I don't recall any bother between Town fans and Hornets in the intervening 50 years.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: