Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 39177 times)
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 08:33:34 »

Lets face it we were heading for another epic season

This is true if we'd managed to sustain the form we showed over Christmas. The point I tried to make (really badly) in my last post, was that we didn't. That form ended at the end of January, and since then the results have been a bit patchy, a lot of draws, narrow victories, and the odd convincing win.

I was just trying to point out to the "it's all Macdonalds fault" tendency that the results have barely changed since he took over. Putting yesterdays result to one side there's one point and one goal difference between what PDC achieved since the end of January, and what Mac's achieved since he got here.

The only reason that we rose up the table for a bit just after PDC left, was that everybody else hit really dodgy patches of form, Brentford last a couple on the trot, Bournemouth lost 5 straight, Sheff Utd lost a couple, all at the same time. Our, draw a couple then win one, form was pretty good in comparison. Now those sides have recovered and are winning consistently, they're pulling in front and away from us.

When I first re-joined the forum I made the point that I thought we'd miss Ritchie more than PDC, and I'm more convinced than ever that is the case. He was the player of real quality that gave us threat going forward and opened up those sides that came to the CG to defend and get a point. Without him we've gone from a run of winning home games by 2, 3, 4, or even 5 goals to being lucky to score at all.

..never go back.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 08:38:16 »

When I first re-joined the forum I made the point that I thought we'd miss Ritchie more than PDC, and I'm more convinced than ever that is the case. He was the player of real quality that gave us threat going forward and opened up those sides that came to the CG to defend and get a point. Without him we've gone from a run of winning home games by 2, 3, 4, or even 5 goals to being lucky to score at all.

Is it possible we're perhaps missing them both?

Just a thought.
STFCforeigner

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:00:32 »

MacDonald is Malpas Mk2. Whilst not going as far as going wanting him out (deserves until the end of the season) I'm far from convinced he's the man from the job. Yet again inept tactics and strategy from him, play for a point from the start, don't make changes until 10 minutes to go after we concede, fail to use the 3rd substitution, do nothing from the bench.

He may as well have watched from his sofa, he would have had the same impact as he did actually being there. What a terrible showing, the only people that deserve credit are the fans, 677 is a fantastic number, well done to you all. Also fuck you weather, bitterly cold today.

The bit that worries me is that he said post match, that he didn't think he needed to change anything and that we more or less had it under control. Any fool could see yesterday that whatever the tactic was, it wasn't working. Waiting until we concede before making changes baffles me.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:05:18 »

It was working up until they scored.

KMac clearly wanted a point, nothing more, and we looked set to last the full 90.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:09:48 »

No we didn't.

From about 10 minutes into the second half you could see their goal coming. Some Doncaster fans are describing that performance as excellent, superb and the most complete performance of the season - if that really is the case, then I'm even more disappointed we didn't attack them.

Attack is still the best form of defence.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:12:54 »

It was working up until they scored.

KMac clearly wanted a point, nothing more, and we looked set to last the full 90.

If this is the case, and from having watched it yesterday it certainly seemed like it. To me that's more worrying.

If we'd have won yesterday we'd be full of talk of automatic and winning the league. It was the manner of the defeat which was disappointing not so much the defeat itself. Why the hell didn't we go for it.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:15:15 »

No we didn't.

From about 10 minutes into the second half you could see their goal coming. Some Doncaster fans are describing that performance as excellent, superb and the most complete performance of the season - if that really is the case, then I'm even more disappointed we didn't attack them.

Agree DV. We were a shadow of the team we've been for the past two seasons. I can understand Donny fans thinking how great they were (they weren't that good) after all they controlled a game against a promotion rival for 90 minutes.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:19:08 »

No we didn't.

I thought we looked comfortable-ish but they were definitely far more threatening than the first half. I'm not defending the tactics of the employment of them, simply saying that in KMac's head they were working because we were holding on to a point.

FWIW, I hate the idea of playing for a point and really can't comprehend why we did that yesterday with the autos still in our grasp.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 09:33:12 »

Agree DV. We were a shadow of the team we've been for the past two seasons. I can understand Donny fans thinking how great they were (they weren't that good) after all they controlled a game against a promotion rival for 90 minutes.

Doncaster certainly deserved their win.

They were well drilled, disciplined and effective. If that performance really passes as complete, excellent and superb we should be walking this league.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 10:11:30 »

Having read through the thread this morning I can understand the reaction, disappointing to lose in a manner (lacking fight or chances) that has been rare this season. Bear in mind though Donny are top for a reason, and were organised at the back and quickest to every second ball.

Personally don't agree with the formation criticisms, we have enough talented attacking players to create and score with one central striker, as long as he gets support from the wide men and at least one of the two central midfielders.

Problem for me in the last 3 games has been too many square pegs in round holes and the fact our strikers are all suffering from the yips at the same time. Both Collins and Williams have been streaky in their goalscoring all season - usually at least one of our forwards has been finishing well though which is the issue at the minute.

McCormack needs help from the midfielder in front of him, gets beaten too easily too often to be left isolated at LB, never more evident than yesterday.

Impressed with Byrne's crossing and thought Parrett looked direct and threatening at times - needed to pull the trigger though. Although he was quieter (particularly first half) than Friday, been encouraged by Luongo's two performances.

Would like to see more of De Vita in the run in - although he suffered a bit of a dip in form towards the end of Di Canio's time here, he is our most credible goal threat from wide whether in 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 10:45:59 »

No we didn't.

Gotta agree with that DV

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #431 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 13:05:32 »

Here is a nice gif to sum up:

[url width=304 height=229]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6f1n0ViN51r6l7k1.gif[/url]
STFCforeigner

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 15:24:14 »

I thought we looked comfortable-ish but they were definitely far more threatening than the first half. I'm not defending the tactics of the employment of them, simply saying that in KMac's head they were working because we were holding on to a point.

FWIW, I hate the idea of playing for a point and really can't comprehend why we did that yesterday with the autos still in our grasp.

Exactly. A win yesterday would have been massive for us, and that should have been our gameplan from the off.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 15:43:16 »

Our game plan should be to win every fucking game, yesterday was a complete cluster fuck. Negative tactics no idea's we looked like we had no plan. The changes were to late in the game to affect it. We looked we were battling relegation. I don't mind losing but to lose without even having a shot on fucking target pisses me off. The Oldham game should've been three points in the bag.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #434 on: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 16:18:13 »

This is true if we'd managed to sustain the form we showed over Christmas. The point I tried to make (really badly) in my last post, was that we didn't. That form ended at the end of January, and since then the results have been a bit patchy, a lot of draws, narrow victories, and the odd convincing win.

I was just trying to point out to the "it's all Macdonalds fault" tendency that the results have barely changed since he took over. Putting yesterdays result to one side there's one point and one goal difference between what PDC achieved since the end of January, and what Mac's achieved since he got here.

The only reason that we rose up the table for a bit just after PDC left, was that everybody else hit really dodgy patches of form, Brentford last a couple on the trot, Bournemouth lost 5 straight, Sheff Utd lost a couple, all at the same time. Our, draw a couple then win one, form was pretty good in comparison. Now those sides have recovered and are winning consistently, they're pulling in front and away from us.

All you talk about is Di Canio. With regards to Ritchie, he was nothing special in 10/11 and hasn't done much at Bournemouth since he's moved. Who got the best out of him? Hmm...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: