Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Damamged SDHC card  (Read 1541 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 11:12:20 »

The SDHC from my camera will not work in any device, the camera does not recognise it and reverts to the built-in memory, neither my laptop (using a SDHC slot or a memory card reader) or PC will recognise that the memory card is even connected. Looking at the card, there is a tiny corner where the plastic has come off. I have no idea how this has happened but as far as I can see all the metal connections are undamaged and it just appears to be the outer casing.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get the images off the card or is it only possible professionally? Fortunately the contents of said card were backed up before I travelled last week so it's just photos from the weekend that are missing but would like them!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 11:50:51 »

The only thing I can think of is to try mount it in a linux distro for recovery.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:01:24 »

It's possible the missing bit of the card is where the sensor is in the card reader, so it isn't recognising a card has been inserted. You should be able to figure out if this is the case by having a look inside the reader, you'll see some connections other than for the main pins - these will be the sensors.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:06:02 »

Cheers, got Ubuntu installed as it happens so will try that.

If the sensor is fucked is there any chance for recovery?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 12:07:38 »

The sensor is in the card reader, so you'd just need to find a way of tripping it so it knows a card is present - maybe a piece of paper, or paper clip or something like that. Not sure there is any easy way of overriding it via the OS, I tried finding a way on my Mac and failed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: