Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managers.....the real stars?  (Read 1422 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:44:01 »

Just sat through Sunderland v Norwich....absolute garbage for a Premiership game.

Its got me thinking has in recent years managers and coaches taken a bit away from the game in terms of enjoyment and player flair?

Most teams have some real top stars but the rigid regime and tactics of most managers seem to dictate that you stick to a game plan at all costs.

The Sunderland Norwich match was a case in point and flair players nowadays just are not given the licence to shine as in days gone by.

Have managers become the star attraction rather than the players(maybe nots let bring PDC into it Smiley)....resulting in footy that apart from a few matches throws up the drivel dished up by todays Premiership offering.....even the lower leagues are becoming bogged down with tiresome tactics in a lot of matches....in my opinion.

Is it me or has it allways been the same....to be honest i am dog tired of the same old managers being interviewed before and after matches....dishing out the same old crap.

Its became very boring.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 18:28:04 »

Agreed Leefer. I was watching some highlights of Spain 82 as and Mexico 86 the other day and I was surprised how open the play was compared to today.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:07:07 »

If fans were a little more patient then the pressure to deliver immediate success would allow managers time to develop the club from top to bottom and create a 'legacy', akin to Ferguson at Utd or Gradi at Crewe. Unfortunately the modern fan will not give a new manager any time to change things around, instead judging solely on results from the first moment...the reactions to MacDonald has proved that.

Nevertheless, some managers are given ample time and the fans still ultimately turn on them. Hello Arsene.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:09:10 »

If fans were a little more patient then the pressure to deliver immediate success would allow managers time to develop the club from top to bottom and create a 'legacy', akin to Ferguson at Utd or Gradi at Crewe. Unfortunately the modern fan will not give a new manager any time to change things around, instead judging solely on results from the first moment...the reactions to MacDonald has proved that.

Nevertheless, some managers are given ample time and the fans still ultimately turn on them. Hello Arsene.

Let's face it, you could win the Word Cup and still get sacked.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:13:22 »

And in addition to sonicyouth's post there there is so much pressure on managers and players to keep their team in the Premier League. Relegation would mean losing out on tens, possibly more than a hundred million pounds in a season, and that leaves you with a good recipe for some rather dull games where teams would rather take a point than risk anything trying to score.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:24:25 »

All good points - plus tactics and coaching have always changed the way games were played - and rightly so. When the WM came in, it was widely adopted because it worked, similarly 442 etc. The same goes for fitness and organisation. Some lead, others trail. Sometimes football worldwide has a negative low-scoring era, then it opens up again.

At the moment we happen to be in a phase where a pressing game in a 4231 varient is prevalent in club football - it can be exciting but it can also stifle, as that is also one of its aims. But there are outliers still, and at different ends of the spectrum - Pulis v Zemen or high priest Bielsa. It is just that ideas spread far more quickly than they once did when world cups would have teams playing in a way never seen before. Not now anyone can see any game via a feed.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:25:51 »

Oh and shit games have always been shit games. We just don't remember them. Why would you, they were shit.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:36:49 »

It's always been a bit like that though, or at least since I'm been watching football. I remember the Liverpool manager (Dalglish probably) moaning  about Stoke's tactics back in the days when they were at their peak. Stoke went to Anfield to defend, unashamedly playing for a 0-0 draw, just like a lot of teams in those, days. The Stoke manager at the time couldn't understand why anybody should moan - he replied to the interviewer, when asked about his tactics, "what are we supposed to do? Let them score? Lie down and let them win 4 or 5 nil?" or words to that effect. And back then, with only 2 points for a win, a point away from home was considered a good result (Swindon were always awful away from home when I started watching them and a point would have been an unexpected surprise). Leeds, when they were at their best used to play for a draw or try to nick a 1-0 win, defending for most of the match. As did Arsenal and many other top teams. Remember the "boring Arsenal" tag? It was for a good reason.....
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 08:39:31 »

I'm guessing that throughout a significant part of these clubs history a Sunderland v Norwich game would probably been a bit shit.

..never go back.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 11:10:15 »

Having been at Sunderland v Norwich (born in Sunderland/2nd team and was on a piss up in Newcastle this weekend) the game was bollocks, even with Norwich down to 10 men there was nothing exciting about it and chances were few and far between. Instead of attacking Sunderland took off Danny Graham and went into a 451 formation against 10 men (reminded me of a certain Paul Hart), then when that didn't work went 442 in the last 10 minutes by bringing on Connor Wickham, who didn't have much time to adjust to the pace of the game. Very negative tactics by Martin O'Neill, and Norwich should have nicked it! (BTW Grant Holt is still a dirty, fat cunt!)

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: