Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Attendances  (Read 5080 times)
Topcat

« on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 19:23:06 »

Looking at some old stats has anybody seen how big the crowds swindon were getting from 1968-1972 regulary getting from 18000 - 28000 in the old legue 2 +cup games

Examples

1968 Torquay 18,161 Burnley home in league cup 28,000
1969 Rotherham  23,515 (in the middle of 4 home games on the trot)
1970 Cardiff  21,158, Liverpool in legue cup 23,992, Scunthorpe in FA Cup 24,612
1971 Bristol City 21,383
1972 Birmingham City 17,581  (FA cup)

I know that we won the league cup in 69 but the crowds are quite remarkable considering what the population of swindon would have been and transport links etc.
Im guessing swindon is not a football town like it used to be
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 19:36:51 »

I'm guessing most clubs attendances were significantly greater then than now. Lots of factors: very little football on tv; less options on what to spend your leisure time doing, to name but 2. Add the fact that this was before organised hooliganism became widespread and scared off a lot of fans. Oh and weren't we relatively successful as well? I remember some impressive attendances under Macari, Ardiles and Hoddle,  when we were flying. Too many PL 'fans' nowadays, who are happy to 'support' a team from their armchair, or down the pub.

It's All Good..............
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 19:55:08 »

I'm guessing most clubs attendances were significantly greater then than now. Lots of factors: very little football on tv; less options on what to spend your leisure time doing, to name but 2. Add the fact that this was before organised hooliganism became widespread and scared off a lot of fans. Oh and weren't we relatively successful as well? I remember some impressive attendances under Macari, Ardiles and Hoddle,  when we were flying. Too many PL 'fans' nowadays, who are happy to 'support' a team from their armchair, or down the pub.

Don't think that's strictly true...there are some factors at work, which are cross club, but more often club specific. By way of example...72/73, we were having a modest season, The Don had been sold, yet we could still average over 10,000. Forest who finished 2 places higher less at 9500. Forest would be League and European Cup winners within 6 years, don't suppose their average gate has been as low since.
Topcat

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:14:42 »

Don't think that's strictly true...there are some factors at work, which are cross club, but more often club specific. By way of example...72/73, we were having a modest season, The Don had been sold, yet we could still average over 10,000. Forest who finished 2 places higher less at 9500. Forest would be League and European Cup winners within 6 years, don't suppose their average gate has been as low since.

I think that you make some valid points but things were gradually going downhill in the early 70's and we were eventually relegated in 1975. Even so I dont think we would get over 20000 very often nowadays as we struggled to sell out in the premiership in 93 apart from the games against the big boys and our capacity was only 18000
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:16:43 »

Even so I dont think we would get over 20000 very often nowadays as we struggled to sell out in the premiership in 93 apart from the games against the big boys and our capacity was only 18000
I think it was more a case of under declaring crowds than lack of interest
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:23:12 »

I'm guessing most clubs attendances were significantly greater then than now.

Not true. If you look at the average attendances over the four divisions they're currently higher than during the 70's and on a par with the 60's. Attendances peaked around 1950 and are about 30% lower today.

If you're bored this is a good site for historical attendances; http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:25:22 »

I think that you make some valid points but things were gradually going downhill in the early 70's and we were eventually relegated in 1975. Even so I dont think we would get over 20000 very often nowadays as we struggled to sell out in the premiership in 93 apart from the games against the big boys and our capacity was only 18000

73/74, was the relegation season. As I said some factors are cross club reasons for lower crowds, like excess cost, but some are club specific. Our outdated accommodation is a limiting factor to improving crowds...as is the recent lack of success and off field turbulence...get it right and the potential for increased crowds is there still.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:39:17 »

Not true. If you look at the average attendances over the four divisions they're currently higher than during the 70's and on a par with the 60's. Attendances peaked around 1950 and are about 30% lower today.

If you're bored this is a good site for historical attendances; http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Kevin Brandstatter (who compiled the English tables) must be the chap who works/worked in the Research Councils in Swindon. He's a Fulham fan.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Topcat

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:45:14 »

73/74, was the relegation season. As I said some factors are cross club reasons for lower crowds, like excess cost, but some are club specific. Our outdated accommodation is a limiting factor to improving crowds...as is the recent lack of success and off field turbulence...get it right and the potential for increased crowds is there still.

Sorry you are correct and swindon were relagated in 1973/4 season. I agree with your points above but I still dont think we are a football town as there are so many new families that have moved here, Not to say that they cant be enticed but like you say our outdated accomodation will be our downfall. The only other comparision I can quote are teams like burnley with a populattion of 70000 ish who reg get 12000-15000 and blackburn with a population of 110000 ish reg get 150000
Topcat

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 20:53:58 »

Bournemouth at home is a classic example as the crown was given as 14302 but anybody that was there knew that it was 20000+ as the whole of the ground was heaving
GoSWINDON
Making the best out of the little I have.

going for a poo see you in two

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 23:58:03 »

Bournemouth at home is a classic example as the crown was given as 14302 but anybody that was there knew that it was 20000+ as the whole of the ground was heaving

i was there , i counted 14,301

If I Don't See You Through  Week, I'll See You Through Window
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 21:56:39 »

And many more decent gates, notably 28,500+ for Watford in 1969 and perhaps in 1970, 32,000 for Arsenal

I think gates were bigger in the late 60s early 70s 

England had won the world cup and there was a more settled population of Swindonians , in contrast to the Sky viewing incomers you note.

I had recently become disorientated by the airy fairy target of Championship football, a new ground filled with new breed plastics but thankfully it looks like we're staying as a cult club attractive to masochist ultras once again.
kerry red

« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 22:08:44 »

It was so fucking obvious, too. Everyone knew what the capacity of the various stands was and just by looking and estimating how full/empty they were you could guess the crowd fairly well.

The official figure was always ludicrous. But what do you expect when people were paying actual cash at the turnstiles.
skay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 01:10:34 »

i was there , i counted 14,301

Did you count yourself?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: