Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It was twenty years ago today...  (Read 14856 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:43:10 »

I had no idea what was going on. I was busy watching morris dancing.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 12:12:47 »

I had no idea what was going on. I was busy watching morris dancing.

I also had no idea what was going on as I was at school· In those days no smartphones to follow the action Sad

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 12:36:46 »

I cried.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 13:18:26 »

Just watched the game on VHS. Twenty years on, the sound of Maskell's shot hitting the post on its way in is still the sweetest I've ever heard in a football stadium.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 13:29:54 »

The sickening, gut-wrenching horror of watching Leicester's 3rd goal go in - and then watching their fans celebrate - is beyond any power of description I have.  The blue half of Wembley knew they were going up at that point.  It was, to be fair, a very impressive come back, but they shagged themselves in the process.

The 'crack' of Maskell's goal - agreed.  I love the way that everyone still talks about it after all these years.  I actually missed two of the goals: Hoddle's (taking a piss) and Zippy's (couldn't watch...facing the back of the stand.)
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 13:45:42 »

I was one.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 13:58:11 »

I remember being totally overwhelmed by Wembley, a sea of red of one half and an equally impressive sea of blue on the other half.  The atmosphere was amazing.

Can't remember masses about the game, only being 11 at the time, apart from the general emotions of the day went from nerves/excitement to joy to slight worry to devestation to sheer ecstasy
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 14:00:10 »

I enjoyed very little of the day before 5pm.  Crippling nerves for me that day.  So bad, in fact, that I spontaneously vomited in to the sink while brushing my teeth that morning.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 14:05:49 »

The old Wembley looked so magnificent, a bit like Lords.
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 14:14:00 »

Aaah, this was the game that got me into football. Watched on TV at my grandparents' house and was instantly hooked. We should have spent the afternoon in the garden instead - I'd certainly have saved myself a lot of cash and even more heartache!!   Wink   Suicide
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 16:04:17 »

Full time (after an age of extra time).

In dream land.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 16:49:53 »

The sickening, gut-wrenching horror of watching Leicester's 3rd goal go in - and then watching their fans celebrate - is beyond any power of description I have.  The blue half of Wembley knew they were going up at that point.  It was, to be fair, a very impressive come back, but they shagged themselves in the process.

The 'crack' of Maskell's goal - agreed.  I love the way that everyone still talks about it after all these years.  I actually missed two of the goals: Hoddle's (taking a piss) and Zippy's (couldn't watch...facing the back of the stand.)

My Dad did the same as you for Zippy's penalty, as did loads of people all around me who couldn't watch it.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 18:08:23 »

It's odd, because the only time from the final whistle at Tranmere to the end of the game at Wembley when I thought we might lose was when they got back to 3-3. If I recall they had a chance just after they scored their third, but from then on we pissed all over them again.

I was always convinced we were going to win, unlike our latest visits to Wembley. So much so that we had champagne in a cool box on the coach ready to celebrate after the game.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #103 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 18:42:08 »

I was one.
I wasn't even alive.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 19:17:15 »

I cried.

Along with many others, myself included.

What a day and night.  I missed the Maskell goal although I heard it smack in followed by the deafening roar as  I returned from the toilet.  I'm honestly not sure if I watched the penalty or not.  Those last 5 minutes and added time felt like an eternity.

I think I was dancing up and down County Road around this time in the evening having drunk a bottle of MD20 20.  I think the whole town was in the vicinity.  Scenes I'll never forget and so glad I was part of.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: